Walleye Replica

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
"I hope one day I meet SVNMAG and be relieved to find out he's an autistic alcoholic that smokes a lot of weed. Then I will know that everything he says does not in fact, just go over my head."

Not sure how to feel about this heathen.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA, do you have a good cast for a 29.75 with 16" girth? If so, I may be interested in giving you a shot at it. I was going to do artistic anglers but haven't got around to even contacting them yet.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at zespys yesterday picking up a hog walleye And he had a nice replica walleye completed. He hates doing them he said because they take alot longer to paint. The forms also are not the exact same measurements as the fish you caught. For example i released a 13 lb 14 oz walleye that was 30.5 inches. I asked zespy about doing a replica and he couldnt get a form even close to what i had caught. His replicas though are very good but not near as nice as a skin mount.

Question for you enslow..how long did you have to wait for your fish? when did you drop it off I guess I am asking. I have had a walleye there since March 2014 so wondering if mine is getting close. He does dang good work so not complaining. I am just curious where I am in line compared to when you got yours.
Thanks

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My antelope from 3 years ago just got done a month ago. I have had fish take as long as three years or as little as 2 weeks. There isnt really a line or order who gets them first. The man is one of best and would like to get things done faster but it is very time consuming work. if you want superfast take him a big smallmouth as those are his favorite.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA, do you have a good cast for a 29.75 with 16" girth? If so, I may be interested in giving you a shot at it. I was going to do artistic anglers but haven't got around to even contacting them yet.

I don't "have one" but I can get that size. PM me the details and a photo

- - - Updated - - -

"I hope one day I meet SVNMAG and be relieved to find out he's an autistic alcoholic that smokes a lot of weed. Then I will know that everything he says does not in fact, just go over my head."

Not sure how to feel about this heathen.

Because purple gorillas play the bongos!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
]

We've let replica taxidermist cast our bigger fish in trade for mounting our real ones. Mine was 32 3/4 with a 20 inch girth. I believe my buddies was 3/4 inch longer but not as girthy. So I know there are some bigger forms out there.

gross

- - - Updated - - -

what is the price difference between skin mount and replica?

Is zespy good at matching the colors from a LW greenback?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually skin mounts are 15-17 bucks an inch, and replicas are in that 19-22 per inch range.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not so tough to find a bigger cast, its tough to find a big quality cast. one with good scale detail and clear thin fins, not thick white fiberglass ones with a crooked lumpy body seam down the middle.

Well he was the world champion at the time with his cast so he mustn't have been to bad.

Wynia

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
competition09pieces019.jpg

was just looking at walleye mounts and stumbled across this. Amazing!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a cool walleye mount!

We're fortunate in this state to have some of the best taxidermists in the country thats for sure!

steve perch.jpg

steve stringer.jpgsteve closeup.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, Steve's walleyes, pike, n perch are pretty much the best.

shep07

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you done any replicas on other fish MSA?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried my first one a couple months ago on a redfish I caught in Florida.
IMG_20150815_221744.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years I've had both skin/replicas,my walleye replica was 34.6"s,shitty job,the piant job sucks,looks like a cross between a smallmouth,with a salmon tail,my other reps look great,crappies,trout,gills...I feel the reps out last the skin mounts which tend to crack abd fins/tail curl even with plastic over time.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
everyone brags about zespy's but no one ever has any good pics to back them up. So I have to go with what I can see, and since I've only seen 2 pics of zespy mounts in dimly lit rec rooms at bad angles with a shitty cell phone that has a dirty lens, I have to go with the S&S mounts that I have seen dozens of high quality HD digital pictures of that show every little detail.

Apparently everyone that loves zespy mounts are just real bad with cameras.

- - - Updated - - -

Over the years I've had both skin/replicas,my walleye replica was 34.6"s,shitty job,the piant job sucks,looks like a cross between a smallmouth,with a salmon tail,my other reps look great,crappies,trout,gills...I feel the reps out last the skin mounts which tend to crack abd fins/tail curl even with plastic over time.

With the materials I use on skin mounts, I don't think one would look any different 30 days or 30 years after its finished. The only thing that could age it would be daily direct sun light outdoors.

send me pics of that walleye replica, I bet I can strip and re-paint it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote"
send me pics of that walleye replica, I bet I can strip and re-paint it. "

Good idea but what about the damn tail? I'll take a pic and PM you with it,its a mille lacs lake strain so one of a kind coloration that this guy messed up from the get go.Th eout fit was from the south so what do they know about walleyes?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 41
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14