Walleye Replica

shep07

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well was up at Tobin last week and hooked into a 31" 12 pound walleye and am tossing around the idea of getting a replica made. We took measurements and some close up pictures of the fish just in case. Does anybody have any experience with replica fish and suggestions on a taxidermist to talk to about it? Thanks in advance.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some are good some are bad. It depends on who you have do one. I've never had one done so cant say. We were up last week also from Saturday to Wednesday, and the biggest fish in our boat was a 29.75 inch, 13.4lb FATTY caught at 9:00 Wednesday night. Was a hoot fishing up there!! :;:rockit

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can do walleye replicas. Not real cheap though, high quality casts are pricey. But you dont pay till you see the finished product.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know about walleyes, but this is a replica rainbow... photo.jpg It's highly accurate in size, and the coloration is just as nice, if not nicer, than the original. I had it done a couple years ago, by Wildlife Creations. Took a while to get it back, but was worth the wait. They're somehow connected to Bass Pro Shops.

Before I sent off for one however, I'd check with MSA. That guy knows...

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just need an excuse to do a walleye replica. if you don't like it, you don't buy it. I'll be the first to admit I havn't seen one I've liked yet, but I'm pretty sure I know how to change & fix what I don't like about most walleye replicas.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at zespys yesterday picking up a hog walleye And he had a nice replica walleye completed. He hates doing them he said because they take alot longer to paint. The forms also are not the exact same measurements as the fish you caught. For example i released a 13 lb 14 oz walleye that was 30.5 inches. I asked zespy about doing a replica and he couldnt get a form even close to what i had caught. His replicas though are very good but not near as nice as a skin mount.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any reason to not keep the hog and have traditional skin mount done?
Not judging just asking

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason i let that one go was because it was in the slot.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a simple nder, we don't like slots in our state. But that now makes sense

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a simple nder, we don't like slots in our state. But that now makes sense

No simple nder's would rather let the sconis and blueplaters keep em all. #smart

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just checked with a half dozen sources and the biggest nice quality cast I can get is 30 1/2 inches by an 18" girth.

Founding Member
Founding Member
]

We've let replica taxidermist cast our bigger fish in trade for mounting our real ones. Mine was 32 3/4 with a 20 inch girth. I believe my buddies was 3/4 inch longer but not as girthy. So I know there are some bigger forms out there.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
]

We've let replica taxidermist cast our bigger fish in trade for mounting our real ones. Mine was 32 3/4 with a 20 inch girth. I believe my buddies was 3/4 inch longer but not as girthy. So I know there are some bigger forms out there.

Its not so tough to find a bigger cast, its tough to find a big quality cast. one with good scale detail and clear thin fins, not thick white fiberglass ones with a crooked lumpy body seam down the middle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11