War monuments in North Dakota

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am planning a trip across North Dakota with my son to view different war monuments such as those tanks and planes you see in small towns and the Ronald Regan Minuteman Missile site. I know I've seen those tanks and planes on numerous occasions but can't remember where they are all at.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to go across North Dakota?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tank in Regent, its also a nice drive down the enchanted highway.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whitestone Battlefield north of Forbes. There is also a soldier buried out in a pasture between Forbes and the battlefield. His tombstone is fenced off so the cattle won't trample it.

Forbes also has a tank outside the Legion.

Stop in and have a bump at the Long Branch while you're there.

Head south out of town and take a right. As soon as you start to climb into the hills take a look to your right. There is usually a deer or two.....thousand.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
New Rockford ND has a tank and the air NDARNG in Bismark has a UH-1 at the entrance to their facility. At the entrance to Fraine Barracks in Bismarck is the GWOT memorial, which is the ND soldiers lost in the last 20+ years to the Global War On Terrorism. If interested in actual memorials just google search ND war memorials and a pretty good list shows up, a lot of these don't have equipment but some type of memorial. GL and enjoy the trip, ND offers a lot of support to veterans. Also, if you have never been to the veteran's cemetery outside Mandan ND it is beautifully taken care of tribute also.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whys did Medicine Hole get all posted up? I tried to stop by there last weekend and its covered with posters

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
we went through the missile site east of langdon on hwy 5 a few years ago. not sure if they are giving tours this summer.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
I got beat to New Rockford's tank and chopper on the north edge of town right off Highway 281. Finley has an Air Force jet on the south edge of town right off Highway 32. Carrington has the Fallen Soldier Memorial for SSG Lance Koenig north of the swimming pool off Highway 281.
Screenshot (86).png
Screenshot (85).png

bilbo

Honored Member
The missile site by Cooperstown is well worth stopping and touring.
I’ll put another vote in for the missile site. I grew up well after most of the Cold War, but it was sobering nonetheless. It’s a real eye-opener as to how far technology has come too. There’s probably more computing power in my phone than that entire room full of missile control equipment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82