Water heater question

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
In August or September,the fire department came around and tested\flushed the fire hydrant on the corner ( I'm 3 houses away from it). Any hoo, shortly after, the screen in my bathroom faucet became plugged, unscrewed it and cleaned it out and its worked fine, however the water heater started popping and has gradually gotten worse (sediment or calcium build up). I have Googled the problem and it suggested to drain the water heater and pour CLR into it and then flush it out. My question is, has anyone flushed out their water heater and had success doing it? Thanks.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to flush the water heater every year. I got 21 years out of a 6 year water heater. Part of the "sediment"in water heaters oxidation from the anode. Sediment on the bottom leads to more frequent heating cycles. This increases the stress cycles on the metal (think flexing a piece of steel over and over). The other reason to flush every year is the sediment acts as an insulator. It reduces the efficiency of energy transfer from the flame to the water, increasing operating costs. I am assuming it is a gas water heater. Electric not as much a problem. Do not put CLR in water heater as it it not isolated from potable water sources. The easiest thing to do is turn the temperature dial to its lowest setting. wait until the water inside cools down to avoid getting scalded. Attach a hose to the flush point and put the other end in a sink or other drain. open the valve to maximum to get sufficient flow to stir up the sediment. Five minutes usually does the trick. Close and turn up the heat and enjoy lower operating costs.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with OD. Flush water heater yearly. If it has never been done and it's an older water heater then not a great idea. Cuz the drain valve will most likely plug with sediment and won't drain or be able to close valve again. And becomes a pain in the ass.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with OD. Flush water heater yearly. If it has never been done and it's an older water heater then not a great idea. Cuz the drain valve will most likely plug with sediment and won't drain or be able to close valve again. And becomes a pain in the ass.

I had this happen once. Opened valve and it wouldn’t flow. I hooked a hose up to my washer valve and back flushed it a little bit. It flowed like a dream after that.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to do the same when on the farm.
When we put one of those instant propane water heaters in on the farm we had to or should say were told to back flush monthly. I had a pre filter before the water softner and one filter after. Only time i got anything out of back flushing the instant on water heater was the first time i flushed it, there was some little piece of junk in it. We also were on rural water at the time.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to flush them annually in west Fargo. Now with Fargo water not needed

- - - Updated - - -

I do think technology wise they have improved significantly. No issues on my latest one. In addition always have a tray underneath and hose to drain or sump hole

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
On rural water. Our old water heater had so much sediment it would not flow. Tried to flush with no luck. Had a plumber check it, the sediment was higher than the bottom burner which it burnt out. New installed, lesson learned. Annual flush

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Bis and have city water. I drain mine every year or two. I shut the heater off and the water to it. Once it's cooled I'll drain it. After it's empty I'll turn the water back on and off a few times untill no more sediment comes out.

Back in AZ even electric water heaters would get the pop. Much harder water there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost 30 yrs of homeownership and I have never flushed the hot water heater in any house. I have bought several dishwashers not ever a water heater. Ignorance is sometimes bliss

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost 30 yrs of homeownership and I have never flushed the hot water heater in any house. I have bought several dishwashers not ever a water heater. Ignorance is sometimes bliss

Surely not 30 years in the same home... If you've never replaced a water heater, you're on borrowed time. I've lived in my current house a little over 5 yrs now, but I believe the water heater is about 17 yrs old. I might as well start watching for sales, and just pick one up. Have it ready to go.

I wouldn't dare flush mine now.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three years ago did a bathroom remodel, and had to replace the water heater with a bigger one, to accomodate the new hot tub.The old heater worked fine, on the side was a sticker that read guaranteed til 1975, still going strong almost 40 yrs after warranty!! Thought it was gonna wiegh as much as a small truck when we took it out, empty no sediment!! Now I know this would have never been possible without the proper maintenence.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have hard water. like well water, sediment will build up over time, I had a water heater that was popping all the time and had sediment coming out of the water, so I replace it. Another thing, replaced those Anode rods!!! I will be replacing mine once the new one gets here, this one has be in service since 2006, so its getting close for replacement, but not having problems with it right now, I am looking at replacing the water softener tho, this one is ancient and it spits out alot of water when it regenerates every week regardless how much water I use, i was blown away by how much it puke out 40-50 gals...i don't need that filling my septic tank up every week, thats ridiculous. So I'm in the market for a new water softener. I just replaced water line from pressure tank to the house from 1/2 to 3/4, I will also be replacing my pumps control box, I should be good to go after all this.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my water heater In 1995, it had well water in it for the first 5 years now been rural water. Never crossed my mind to flush it.
I had a new water heater in my house at devils lake and the hot water stunk something terrible. I bought it at home of economy and when I talked to them about it one guy had heard of the problem being caused by the anode rod. I took the anode out and the smell went away.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got out of the shower tonight, and it sounds like the 4th of July when its heating water. Looked up when I installed mine it was 9-4-15. Going to try and flush it out here soon.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might have to run your flushed water from water heater through a screen so you don't plug up your floor drain.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say a good security measure whatever your water source. They all have deposits.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the pilot light wont stay lite, the buddy of mine with knowledge stated I need to change the thermocouple, not sure if this is salesman type of ability work, or if the YouTube vids I watched are going to get me through this.
anyone ever done one, and have some tips, going in to fix mode in about an hour

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shouldn't have any issues. Pretty straight forward. Some are a little harder to get at than others. You will Get 'R Done .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88