We are free, finally free.....

★ Legendary Member
After maxing out my 401k and roth. I have an emergency fund fully funded, so I have been putting my extra in a brokerage account and buying berkshire hathaway. The reason I like it is there is no tax liability as there is no dividends paid and I will only have to pay tax when I sell some. I trust Warren with my money. Hopeful that account grows so when I retire I can use that to fund my life prior to being able to touch my retirement accounts.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great KDM,kudo's...I felt the same few years back after sending my last pymt in,but damn irs,real estate tax,home owners/car insurance etc popped my bubble.Now we have inflation to deal with. FJB.

- - - Updated - - -

We are debt-free, other than our mortgage. No credit cards, no vehicle payments. Still have a ways to go on the house, but we'll get there one day.

Talking with a friend the other day, with a much-nicer-than-mine pickup. Mine is a 8 yr old Chevy half-ton. Perfectly fine pickup. He still have 48 months on his. His wife bought a new SUV just yesterday. I cringe at the thought of over $1000 month vehicle payments.

Picked up an 18 yr old motorcycle this spring - paid cash.

Lovely feeling.

Now if I could just catch a fish...

Agreed JK,can't believe anyone would be purchasing a new vehicle right now,dealers are barely above water with next to zero inventory hosing everyone that thinks they need a new vehicle (sticker price,no rebates or very little),sales people are horning they're skills practicing lying to each other on the showroom floor due to lack of new,used vehicles= no customers.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long are we supposed to pay for education if you do not have kids? Why should someone have to pay for these services they are not using? My property tax bill is roughly 70% going to the school I have no kids attending! Why should old people fear losing their homes that are paid for to send someone elses kids to school?

The schools will tell you that their presence raises your property value. So, even if you don't have kids, or your kids have already gone through school, you are receiving a daily benefit by a school/schools being within your county/city/neighborhood. Just like treated water, paved roads, and underground utilities add value to your property, schools will tell you they do the same.

I wonder if there are more folks reading here that are able to accurately describe MILS as they apply to optics and trajectory or mills as they apply to taxes?

And that would be my objection to the current system. An antiquated measurement system that very few understand and cannot coherently debate. Again, it's too easy for current politicians to lay the current funding mechanisms at the feet of folks who put those mechanisms in place before any currently sitting public servant's grandparents were born.

I want today's sitting politicians to be 100% fully accountable for writing the manner of today's funding mechanisms.

We'd get a significantly clearer picture of exactly whom supports what in regards to how, where, and when public funds are allocated and used.

I want accountability, it's a foregone conclusion that even by eliminating property taxes, I'm not going to save any $$.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The schools will tell you that their presence raises your property value. So, even if you don't have kids, or your kids have already gone through school, you are receiving a daily benefit by a school/schools being within your county/city/neighborhood. Just like treated water, paved roads, and underground utilities add value to your property, schools will tell you they do the same.

I wonder if there are more folks reading here that are able to accurately describe MILS as they apply to optics and trajectory or mills as they apply to taxes?

And that would be my objection to the current system. An antiquated measurement system that very few understand and cannot coherently debate. Again, it's too easy for current politicians to lay the current funding mechanisms at the feet of folks who put those mechanisms in place before any currently sitting public servant's grandparents were born.

I want today's sitting politicians to be 100% fully accountable for writing the manner of today's funding mechanisms.

We'd get a significantly clearer picture of exactly whom supports what in regards to how, where, and when public funds are allocated and used.

I want accountability, it's a foregone conclusion that even by eliminating property taxes, I'm not going to save any $$.
I don't want my property value to increase because I won't be able to afford the fucking taxes soon! My property assessment went up $55K this year and nothing fucking changed! Gotta get a bigger container of lube when the tax bill comes around!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't want my property value to increase because I won't be able to afford the fucking taxes soon! My property assessment went up $55K this year and nothing fucking changed! Gotta get a bigger container of lube when the tax bill comes around!

I didn't say it was right, I'm just telling you what you'd be told regarding why you have to keep paying for education.

- - - Updated - - -

So - where are all you Dave Ramsey type geniuses putting your money when there's no mortgage payment to make?

I was thinking it would make sense if there would be an index fund to invest in that real-time tracked and mimicked the investments of currently sitting US HOR and Senate members. THAT seems like it would be a fund that would consistently "Beat the Street".

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Huge congrats to you 100% debt free guys. I am jealous. My wife drug her reluctant husband (at the time live-in boyfriend) to Dave Ramsey's financial peace university about 7 years ago. I thought it would mean the end of fun and adventure for us and after a few weeks I learned it was the ticket to more fun and adventure. We cleaned up debt on everything but our house within a few years; which was a HUGE task. I have a goal of having the house paid off and having a "0" credit score by 40.

If someone would've introduced me to Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiyosaki out of high school, I would be retired by now. I will be living by the Robert Kiyosaki rule of buying liabilities from now on. Before I buy any liability, I need to purchase an asset that will pay for it.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be in that same boat in 2yrs but I refinanced the house last year and hopped on that 2% interest rate. Dropped my mortgage payment $330/mo plus I pulled out $55k and put it back in my own pocket in hopes of finding something I can find closer to water as a summer place.

Good ol' Brandon seems to be squashing that idea and tossing it out with the bath water. I'll likely be forced to sit on my camping chair on the front porch with a shotgun across my legs as bottom dwellers drive by looking to squat for free.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Around the age of 38 i went to pay the hotel bill. Went to write out a check which he would not accept and then offer cash which he would not accept. Only a credit card which i did not have. Never had one up to that point in time.

Got a credit card and did use it on something. Age 62 before i got that something paid for. db

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were able to make a double payment every other month. The extra payment was directed to go solely off the principle, not the interest. Had that set up specifically when refinanced.
Neighbors in our little cul de sac keep doing remodels driving my taxes up. Maybe good for resale someday but sucks for now. I told the one good friend he was gonna have to split my taxes.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago, i own an apartment with a loan at a small country bank. Been paying extra funds on loan for a number of years assuming funds were going to principal. Wrong.

Call bank to get balance as i was doing a financial statement for my records. Told me and i said that number must be wrong. Went to bank and he show me the balance on his computer. I notice a large negative number on the interest owning. Told me those extra payments were going on interest. That number was negative by a few thousand. Unbelievable and who would have thought. This was about 30 years ago at a small-town family own bank.

Told the loan officer the bank must be breaking some kind of law at least an ethic issue. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19