Weather...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 69. North northwest wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

=

Go to the bar with the boat stowed behind and BRAG!!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 69. North northwest wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

=

Go to the bar with the boat stowed behind and BRAG!!!!
Perfect weather run dogs with out getting to hot and the wind adds a factor into the set up

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
PS buy a shorthair --- Temp range is wider --- 20 below to 90 degrees outside operating weather.

We had a lab actually sweat ---it was scaary --- we took and laid him in the water that was luke warm and he came out of it. I am sure his kidneys were f'd up for life.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
PS buy a shorthair --- Temp range is wider --- 20 below to 90 degrees outside operating weather.

We had a lab actually sweat ---it was scaary --- we took and laid him in the water that was luke warm and he came out of it. I am sure his kidneys were f'd up for life.
I need a dog that will actually retrieve and run blinds plus they are not allowed to run in akc retriever games. There is a reason not one single versatile dog has ever passed the hrc grand in 38 years of having it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need a dog that will actually retrieve and run blinds plus they are not allowed to run in akc retriever games. There is a reason not one single versatile dog has ever passed the hrc grand in 38 years of having it.
No doubt none of my shorthairs were good at retrieving.

I have to tell the one story though ----- SE wind kicked up one day and we took the ski boat to the south side of the lake. Parents had a cabin on one of the lakes around DL in blue plateland. Anyway my first shorthair was left behind. You could not see with the naked eye across the lake. About an hour later were still at it and i look out to the lake an i can see a head. I am like no way. Parents left her outside and she was in route. You know how shorthairs swim -- they have no body fat and hair isnt hollow. All you see is a head. My shorthair swam all the way accross the lake to come join in the fun. She had to do it by ears and sight as we were at a spot we rarely went to.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I have to tell the one story though ----- SE wind kicked up one day and we took the ski boat to the south side of the lake. Parents had a cabin on one of the lakes around DL in blue plateland. Anyway my first shorthair was left behind. You could not see with the naked eye across the lake. About an hour later were still at it and i look out to the lake an i can see a head. I am like no way. Parents left her outside and she was in route. You know how shorthairs swim -- they have no body fat and hair isnt hollow. All you see is a head. My shorthair swam all the way accross the lake to come join in the fun. She had to do it by ears and sight as we were at a spot we rarely went to.
smell

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Here is a good shorthair story. Sammi was a female shorthair my friend that had a lodge Dad owned. She was a bitch and would get in fights but for some reason her and my first black dog got along great. He figured out when she points go scare up the birds and he would go get them she had no interest in picking them up and it pissed his dad off. Well we are in cattails and she goes on point birds get up shoot a few and she jumps in and he says sammi has one. Well she had a skunk in her mouth and when he went to bend over it sprayed him right in the mouth. In between trying not to laugh my ass off and him puking sammi just stood there holding that skunk that little tail just wagging away it even looked like she was smiling a little haha

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a good shorthair story. Sammi was a female shorthair my friend that had a lodge Dad owned. She was a bitch and would get in fights but for some reason her and my first black dog got along great. He figured out when she points go scare up the birds and he would go get them she had no interest in picking them up and it pissed his dad off. Well we are in cattails and she goes on point birds get up shoot a few and she jumps in and he says sammi has one. Well she had a skunk in her mouth and when he went to bend over it sprayed him right in the mouth. In between trying not to laugh my ass off and him puking sammi just stood there holding that skunk that little tail just wagging away it even looked like she was smiling a little haha
I'm going to be extra careful when I got my GSP and my Lab/GSP together. Last year the Lab/GSP (1.5yr old at the time I think) Baxter had a woodchuck picked up by the A@@ standing in over knee high grass and he was so proud standing there as I drove past with the skidsteer, I climbed off the skidsteer telling him to drop but had to basically kick him in the head to drop it, woodchuck hit the ground and curled up shaking took the dog to the house and kenneled him, grabbed the .22 pistol thinking it would have ran off but when I got back it was still there almost shaking. Not sure if Baxter actually hurt it or if it was just in a state of shock so dispatched and discarded. It all happened so fast that I don't think there was a fight cause he was walking next to me in while I drove the skid, I think he just bumped into it and thought "hey look a treasure, look at what I found dad I did good didn't I". Some days that goof ball makes me scratch my head, he's like 80lb brute

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
were turning a weather topic into dogs

I will say one thing my shorthairs always 100% retrieved Hens regardless where they landed. Its that early morning where you think you seen red. :) You would walk away and they would find ya and it drop it on ones boots.

Sbeach Swhere

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
4:30 am

UPDATE: The wind and hail threat has increased to tennis ball size hail and 80 mph winds.

1719481658520.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 229
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 83