Weather...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not caring too much about the weather at the ski resorts, kinda watching and waiting for the incoming rain/snow in our own little piece of heaven. The Missouri River is still frozen as far north as Washburn, and that sucks.

Looking a little farther out, I see the Climate Prediction Center outlooks are favoring warmer than normal weather going through Feb. Granted, February is often our shittiest month, so warmer than normal doesn't necessarily mean a heat wave like we've had the past couple of weeks. It should be an early year for getting on the river.

Can anyone tell me how the ice is faring on the Knife River?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^I'm good with that Allen - haven't gotten the boat out before 4/15 since 2019!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Not caring too much about the weather at the ski resorts, kinda watching and waiting for the incoming rain/snow in our own little piece of heaven. The Missouri River is still frozen as far north as Washburn, and that sucks.

Looking a little farther out, I see the Climate Prediction Center outlooks are favoring warmer than normal weather going through Feb. Granted, February is often our shittiest month, so warmer than normal doesn't necessarily mean a heat wave like we've had the past couple of weeks. It should be an early year for getting on the river.

Can anyone tell me how the ice is faring on the Knife River?
At Manning is all water and hardly any rise

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like it's rotting in place. Good, the Missouri isn't ready for the big tribs to cut loose with an ice load at this point. Thanks for letting me know.
Im not sure there is even the run off available to get them chugging. Maybe after this week🤷‍♀️. Out west it seems like the top foot or so is frost free

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not sure there is even the run off available to get them chugging. Maybe after this week🤷‍♀️. Out west it seems like the top foot or so is frost free

I had been kind of thinking that the warm temps were pushing the upper layer of the frozen soil horizons lower, so I really do appreciate the ground truthing.

My grandfather on my stepdad's side of life told me that in 1958 (I could be way wrong on the year) he planted his crops on March 28th and it was the best yield he ever had. The older I get, the more believable that seems.

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had been kind of thinking that the warm temps were pushing the upper layer of the frozen soil horizons lower, so I really do appreciate the ground truthing.

My grandfather on my stepdad's side of life told me that in 1958 (I could be way wrong on the year) he planted his crops on March 28th and it was the best yield he ever had. The older I get, the more believable that seems.
Now you’ve done it….expect a collect call from greta and Al gore to explain that couldn’t have happened before they discovered global warming….. ...rofl...

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member

During that warm stretch, the top soil was refreezing overnight even without freezing air temperatures, so I think you may be right in that sense

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back in 1974 my son was born on the fourth of April. Prior to that date the farmer that i work for had me planting small grains.
Told him it was too early. Took a month to come out of ground and all weeds. Should have been reseeded but just junk at harvest time as i combine those fields.
In fact, i swathed most of it and made bales. db

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are getting snow today in Payson. Could get 6-8'' they say.
Flagstaff really got it yesterday and today.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84