Weed wackers???

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering your guys opinion on weed wackers? My 7 year old craftsman has been giving me trouble as of late and need some recommendations on a new one. I was thinking Stihl but completely open to opinions. I have a fairly small yard in town but I use it a lot for setting up feeders and such during bow season so it gets used quite a bit so want something dependable of course.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with Stihl last summer. The best part is how easy they start. SO I bought a Stihl blower this spring. I have about 25 pine along the driveway that drop a lot of cones. Now I am kicking myself for not buying a Stihl chain saw. I have about 300 yards of shelter belt that is always growing saplings. The metal blade on the Stihl wear whacked takes care of them too.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a few hand me downs, but when those crap out, I'm going to give Stihl a real hard look. Consider getting the biggest, most powerful one they make that can use the blades and disk cutting heads. A guy just never knows when he'll need to cut through a swamp to get to his deer stand. (Grin)

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider the stihl combi system if you have a lot of stuff to do, handly little chainsaw attachment also, I use mine quite a bit.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Craftsman and like it. But, it runs on my drill battery and I live in town. On the farm, we always had Stihls and they work great. I'd also look at a Honda.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stihl or Echo IMO. I've had really good luck with the Echo powerhead system. Only one engine to take care of - lots of attachments to choose from.

The blower sucks though - get a dedicated blower IMO. Maybe Stihl's blower attachment is better?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll definitely be giving the Stihl combi system a look because I've been debating on buying a chainsaw attachment of some sort the pst few years for cutting shooting lanes and such. I have a Stihl farm boss now and that thing is bulletproof. I'll give the echos a look too and see which stihls a guy can put the disk blades on. I like your style KDM a guy just never knows what kind of s*** he's going to get himself into.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a medium sized yard in town. Going on my third season with the Toro electric. In easily does my yard on a charge. If I had a big property definitely would want something like a stihl

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5 acre yard and a lake lot to take care of. I was a Stihl guy too until I went battery. On year three with my Core weed trimmer. One battery will take care of my entire yard even though you get two. No motor to take care of. Very little noise and built very well. I just don't see the point of taking care of another engine anymore.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My next weed trimmer will be battery operated. A bunch less maintenance. I'm sure the neighbors won't miss the noise.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard good things about the Dewalt trimmers but I have all Milwaukee power tools and it sounds like they aren't releasing their trimmer until spring of 2017. Come on milwaukee get with it.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I acquired a gas weed trimmer about 20 years ago, a hand me down, so likely a couple years old at that point.
I can not think of the brand, but its a Kmart no name model. I have been using it all these years with no issues, I even used just some random 10W-30 in the tank when I ran out of mix, did this for an entire summer. Pour a little gas in the tank, drop a tad of the motor oil in the tank, give it a shake and away I went. She smoked like cheech and chong, but pulled through, and has worked as flawlessly as it ever did before and after.

Seems like this weed trimmer will out last me, but if it does ever fail, Stihl will be my replacement.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know Poulan are junk, but mine won't die after I switched oil. Little story for ya....Bought this Poulan, ran fine out of the box first year, second year they bastard wouldn't start unless you gave it a shot of ether. So one day I dumped the gas tank, got a quart of klotz 2 cycle oil to mix with the gas..now boys...klotz is for racing engines mind you. Started right up on first couple of pulls!!!! Been running that shit in it for over 2 years now and hasn't let me down, even tho, its a piece of shit...and....I like the smell of racing fuel ;)

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ryobi

6 years on a Ryobi 18volt, never ever going with gas again.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
In your situation, I believe battery pack is the way to go. Good power and very quiet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31