Weed wackers???

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know Poulan are junk, but mine won't die after I switched oil. Little story for ya....Bought this Poulan, ran fine out of the box first year, second year they bastard wouldn't start unless you gave it a shot of ether. So one day I dumped the gas tank, got a quart of klotz 2 cycle oil to mix with the gas..now boys...klotz is for racing engines mind you. Started right up on first couple of pulls!!!! Been running that shit in it for over 2 years now and hasn't let me down, even tho, its a piece of shit...and....I like the smell of racing fuel ;)

After I had a similar situation with my Craftsman (due to old gas I believe) I mixed in some red bottle HEAT. Worked like a charm. Thereafter, I always let it run dry with a HEAT mixture and poured the rest of the bottle in the gas can for winter storage. It always started easily the next spring. Cheaper than Stabil.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Echo is what I have. Way less vibration than the Stihl units. Plus alot better warranty. I havent had to do any maintenance other than putting more line in the head. Its 6 years old now. If I were to buy a chainsaw, it would be a Stihl. I have no problems mixing 1 gal of 50:1 per year. Always use oil that has the JA rating (Echo oil). I recently used my dads Stihl combi unit and my entire body was still vibrating 2 hours later.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
a heavy duty straight shaft is a must in my opinion just in case you want to install some fancy blade thingy instead of trimmer line. i put blades on mine years ago and haven't had to replace them yet. eye protection is need though. they throw shit around. but, if you are just gonna do a small yard and its all grass trimming, nothing wrong with a curved shaft with trimmer line.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this deal with the Craftsman. Two "assigned" pair of jeans and safety glasses. Like being smacked with a Red Ryder in a random pattern during the chore. I hated that thing as much as I hated trimming. Powerful as hell but unnecessary for average lawn maintenance. Anyways, please always wear safety glasses when using a weedeater.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a beast of an electric trimmer this spring. Love it. DeWalt 40V lithium ion model, with the 4.0 maH discharge rate. They make one with a 6.0 maH rate, but was another $50.

Mine was $200-ish this spring, when on sale at ACME in Bismarck. Bought it while there was still snow on the ground. Later, they ran a sale where you got it for $250-ish, but they included a second battery pack. I could kick myself for not waiting for that deal..

Anyhow, I have a smallish yard in Bismarck, but I also take care of my folks' bigger yard. I can trim both yards twice, on one pack, and still have 1 battery bar left (there are three bars when fully charged).

I took it to the inlaws farm yesterday, and trimmed around two houses, a couple propane tanks, various yard lights, and water hookups, etc. Around the shop and the garage, etc. I still had one bar of battery left, and I went through some heavy heavy stuff. I was covered from the waist down, in green slop, but the whole farmyard looked good.

No oil, no gas, no sound, no choke, no pull start. I can throw it in the back of my SUV and it doesn't leak.

Love love love it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this deal with the Craftsman. Two "assigned" pair of jeans and safety glasses. Like being smacked with a Red Ryder in a random pattern during the chore. I hated that thing as much as I hated trimming. Powerful as hell but unnecessary for average lawn maintenance. Anyways, please always wear safety glasses when using a weedeater.

I started trimming wearing shorts one time - must have been a couple years ago now. Right away I realized "holy moly... mistake!" but I was too lazy to go in and change so I carried on - thinking I was a tough guy.

At the end I had little beads of blood all over my legs - with lord knows what driven into my skin. My legs hurt like heck for 2-3 days.

One of the dumber things I've done in a while.

I wore safety glasses though.:cool:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, was wearing shorts yesterday when I went into the thistles, like Jesus clearing out the Tabernacle. Holy Moly, do my legs itch today. I think a hashbrown-maker on a sunburn would have been a better idea.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we are not known for our smarts when it comes to self preservation
face_plant_skater.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weed whacking with shorts. Never thought that was a good idea. Now I know for sure it is not. I got a Worx GT electric that works good for my smaller, in town application. I think it would be too wimpy for clearing heavy stuff for your hunting areas, though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trimmed the yard during my lunch hour today, the trimmer is a homelite brand, starts on the first pull.
I did put shorts on and a tee-shirt for the event, trimmed like a boss. Along the sidewalk when trimming the grass it was whipping little pebbles into my shins, made me feel as tough as a three dollar steak. I will do it again. bunch of eastern pussies...haha

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trimmed the yard during my lunch hour today, the trimmer is a homelite brand, starts on the first pull.
I did put shorts on and a tee-shirt for the event, trimmed like a boss. Along the sidewalk when trimming the grass it was whipping little pebbles into my shins, made me feel as tough as a three dollar steak. I will do it again. bunch of eastern pussies...haha

I always weed-wack and mow in shorts, and usually barefoot too. Nobody ever called me smart. Nor am I a fast learner. I figure the worst that can happen is a limp.

But my legs do itch today.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a troy built 2-stroke that starts and runs well but is a little under powered, but has run well for 5-6yrs now with nothing more than a proper fuel mix and regular running of seafoam.

Earlier this spring I got a Ryobi 4-stroke and so far that thing is excellent. It's got the best most precise throttle control of any string trimmer I've ever used.

My next trimmer will use Dewalt Lithium batteries I think.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dont be lumping us all in together juan. I mow and wack in jorts just like you.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Combi Stihl unit here X 4 years now. Runs very well. No vibrations until i use the tiller attachment. Then i'll be vibrating for hours after. Till two small gardens with it. Does give you the option of straight or curved shaft trimmer. I'd do the straight if i could change; curved doesn't get under my evergreens very well. Blower is obnoxiously LONG but works great. Normal sized city lawn. Stihl on same plug from new. Starts on the first pull after choking it once. Blower works very well for the light fluffy snow too. Edger works well too but only use it once a year. Trimmer takes the edging work on after that. Overall very good unit and attachments to have.
Zero problems since new.

cornman53

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the top of the line Stihl straight shaft 4 years ago and it cratered on me last summer. The connecting rod bent. For a $300+ tool I was not impressed. It would have cost me over $200 to have it repaired. I bought a Black and Decker 20v rechargable for $49 on sale at Lowes and love it. Its quiet, i don't have to mix gas, and I can do the entire yard on one charge.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was you, I would take the wife shopping for one. Which ever one she likes, that fits her the best, that would be the one to buy! ;:;rofl Do you get where I'm going with this suggestion? :;:smokin ;:;boozer

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has a John Deere weed wacker Starts very easy but not sure if they still make them or not. Stihl would be my 2nd vote if i couldnt get another JD

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was you, I would take the wife shopping for one. Which ever one she likes, that fits her the best, that would be the one to buy! ;:;rofl Do you get where I'm going with this suggestion? :;:smokin ;:;boozer

Ahh, the old "get her the dishwasher whose buttons fit her fingers" trick!

I'm no caveman. I bought her a dishwasher. I even use it myself sometimes.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member

I definitely see where you're coming from but I can tell you how that one will end...:;:huh

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55