What a Zander!!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do the fish get so big in Europe? The pike, the zander.....they even have perch that would make a Devil's Lake perch look like a minnow.

zander2.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
MMMMMMM I like sauteed eye cheeks with fried potatoes with fresh onion sprouts from the garden.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Genetics, different species, better avererage temps for longer growing season.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice, Zander over 25lbs are routine in europe. But a different species that walleye as different as sauger.. The redfinned perch is related to our yellow perch but also a different species. Their Northern pike though is the same species... interesting is that european pike fishermen still come to Canada regularly to try to catch lots of giant pike. Lots of the Giant pike in europe are caught on private waters (pay for fishing) with trophy fish all released. Public waters don't have the big ones. Northern pike could grow that big here if left alive to grow that big, warmer waters with lots of food would grow some big female pike.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read zander and walleye don't hybridize

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish are healthier in Europe because their fuel efficiency standards are more strict and Europeans buy carbon credits. Your fish face pork chops would be bigger if you cared more for our Mother Earth.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Measurements in decimeters and kilograms are cool.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice, Zander over 25lbs are routine in europe. But a different species that walleye as different as sauger.. The redfinned perch is related to our yellow perch but also a different species. Their Northern pike though is the same species... interesting is that european pike fishermen still come to Canada regularly to try to catch lots of giant pike. Lots of the Giant pike in europe are caught on private waters (pay for fishing) with trophy fish all released. Public waters don't have the big ones. Northern pike could grow that big here if left alive to grow that big, warmer waters with lots of food would grow some big female pike.

how big of pike do you think lurks in the waters of Sakakawea? Im willing to bet there are a few monsters in there somewhere

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would get me so excited I would make that guy that caching that 14+ bass sound like an amateur.:;:rockit

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember hearing stories of divers inspecting the garrison dam and seeing large slender bodies of fish swimming by, has anyone else heard of such tales. I believe it to be northern pike or musky, unless there is a picture no truth in the story.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember hearing stories of divers inspecting the garrison dam and seeing large slender bodies of fish swimming by, has anyone else heard of such tales. I believe it to be northern pike or musky, unless there is a picture no truth in the story.

We've been hearing stories like that as long as I have been alive whether it's Garrison Dam or New Town Bridge or a plane crash or someone drove their car in. Now if there is any relevance to these sturgeon are definitely a possibility, or maybe a paddlefish. Pike or musky I don't think would have anything to do with these stories. The story I heard first hand wasn't nearly as amazing as the old ones we keep hearing. A guy I know that frequently dives says that catching a 40 pound pike could be a possibility. That's a huge pike but nowhere near the typical "diver" story that travels around.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
As big of water body that Garrison Dam has, I have no doubt that there are Big fish down there, just haven't been caught.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've been hearing stories like that as long as I have been alive whether it's Garrison Dam or New Town Bridge or a plane crash or someone drove their car in. Now if there is any relevance to these sturgeon are definitely a possibility, or maybe a paddlefish. Pike or musky I don't think would have anything to do with these stories. The story I heard first hand wasn't nearly as amazing as the old ones we keep hearing. A guy I know that frequently dives says that catching a 40 pound pike could be a possibility. That's a huge pike but nowhere near the typical "diver" story that travels around.

Yeah these are just wise tales, but none the less it would be cool and freaky scary to see one up close in personal. I couldn't imagine some big pike bumping into you in that murky water gives me the hibby jibbys just thinking about it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could not be a diver, I am an avid fisherman, love to tube, swim, etc. But always a bit freaked out on the big lake. I sure would not want to be a minnow, down 6 inches from the bottom waiting for some big monster to gobble me up.

Have somewhat of a fear of the deep. Thanks Steven King

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77