What would you do??

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would you do if you caught something like this? Would sure make a unique wall mount

Goldfish.JPG

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be pretty cool on the wall. Lot of hoops to jump thru to get it A-B probably because my guess it wouldn't be US waters.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Some good pics then garden fertilizer. It's more likely carp than goldfish. Koi are the same species as carp, goldfish aren't.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be pretty cool on the wall. Lot of hoops to jump thru to get it A-B probably because my guess it wouldn't be US waters.
They are more common than a guy thinks. I have seen a few different KOI white/orange ones swimming with carp. Know a guy that shot one with a bow and is hoping to get a mount done.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do an internet search great lakes and goldfish, you will find many different articles on this subject. It's becoming more common to catch goldfish or koi fish in the great lakes.what I don't understand that fish in the pic is definitely not what I would call a gold color rather orange.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
I would keep it alive and advertise it. Its not a Kohako or Platinum Ogon that are worth $5K at 30 inches, but it's uniform color would make it worth $1K to the right person.
Been a good option years ago before all the invasive species regs, now days I imagine game and fish would show up to "buy" it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess another question is what did the angler do with it. The article didn't really say one way or the other. Got it off of Target Walleye

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pic would be enough for me. It's a carp. A nicely colored carp, but a carp.
I've been actually thinking of that pic all day. It has the lines of a common carp not a koi, comet, etc. I hope it was kept alive for genetic research. The WV Centennial Trout, lightning trout and PA palomino were all produced from a biologist in Petersburg, WV spotting a gold fleck on a rainbow in a hatchery raceway.

After re-reading; this fish may be/have been the world record comet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(goldfish)

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Koi and common carp have the same lines.. they are the same species. Could be a hybrid koi/comet it does supposedly happen. Looks to have barbels but it's hard to tell. A good head shot would definitely narrow down a positive ID

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been actually thinking of that pic all day. It has the lines of a common carp not a koi, comet, etc. I hope it was kept alive for genetic research. The WV Centennial Trout, lightning trout and PA palomino were all produced from a biologist in Petersburg, WV spotting a gold fleck on a rainbow in a hatchery raceway.

After re-reading; this fish may be/have been the world record comet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(goldfish)
Used to be able to find on the internet: The Comet is the National Fish and can be observed in the Lincoln Reflecting Pool. It's been scrubbed. Piss off--environmental libtards. Are you coming for ringneck next? I'd rather catch a 20lb goldfish than a damn European carp.

FWIW I agree with eradication of lakers in Yellowstone.

That is all.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Koi that looks much like that (25 inches 16 lb) with the exception that he is a better fed specimen and along his dorsal surface he has about ten percent reflective silver scales.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Common goldfish are invasive and can grow to huge sizes like that when released. If it's a community pond where they are established and accepted I would release. Any other water body they should be dispatched with prejudice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84