What would you have done?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Today at 2:40 in the afternoon I am coming back home from Wahpeton after a vet visit, state highways 18 and 13 intersect on the southwest corner of Wyndmere and I am headed west. I see this car coming from the south and he is not slowing down at all. Well I start to slow down thinking he has to stop pretty soon, nope!! This car goes over 3 sets of rumble strips and through the stop sign, across 13 with out so much as a brake light. Thank god for antilock. I make a hard right and get on his bumper, then he slows down while I take down license # color and make and model. We get to north side of town and across railroad tracks and I turn off on side road because I cant see through the tears. Hears the catch 22.( I lost my oldest grandson July 23 by Thiefriver Falls. He did not stop for a stop sign getting on to highway 59 south of Thiefriver and it cost him his life and the life of his girlfriend and hurt 4 other people.) So do you call the cops and report? His word against mine and he had some with him, so 2 against one. For what , a minor traffic violation. If I had not been paying attention it would have played out much different, I trust no one and always drive on the de-fence. Always leave yourself an out. Now days with so dammed much distractions with phones and I-pads and all that on dash crap in cars people don't focus on what they should be. A car is a deadly weapon of mass distruction in the wrong and right hands. Hug your loveones tonight because you never know, you just never know. Lbrandt.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad your alive. Give it a day. Call and report it. Tell them you waited a day to make sure you were reporting out of concern and not anger. By that time there may be nothing they can do, but they will believe you and be watching. Who knows who's life you may save.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, sorry for your loss losing someone close is never easy. That being said, I would have reported him. Yes, it's your word against his, but maybe he might have gotten the hint if a patrolman paid him a visit. Also, he could have been under the influence of drug/alcohol there-in would have been a good reason to call it in. Not saying the driver was intoxicated, but if he was, it could have saved another innocent life because not everyone is as alert of a driver as you my friend.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I myself would have called it in, it is then on authorities if they want to pursue. He could have been drunk and a chance he does kill someone else. Local authorities may know of this persons habits and invite the chance to have a talk with him. I don't write this in judgement of your actions of not calling it in and my thoughts and prayers for you loss earlier this year. I am with you in the don't trust know one at all and ALWAYS drive defensively. I drove taxi part time for about 4 years and with the amount of time behind the wheel I can't count how many times my attentiveness saved an accident. People take driving for granted and some need to be reminded of the privilege to drive and that it is not a right. GL to you and your family grieving you loss and one again my prayers to all. dukgnfsn

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am familiar with that intersection and unfortunately have been seeing more and more people that are local to area, more important than the other person, dumb/retarded, cell phones, or what I am starting to wonder on some kind of dope. People talk about pricks in larger towns like fargo but it reaches to the small towns and gravel roads as bad if not worse some days. The feeling of entitlement reaches in many deep rural areas and I challenge anyone that disputes this to take a hard look at themselves and the way they drive (I admit I've had my moments in the past but try to keep myself in check now). Personally if it was me I'm not sure what I would do, calling them in would be better than a road rage conflict. Sorry to hear about your loss.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call it in. My wife was in the exact same situation one time. Dude blew a gravel yield sign and nearly t-boned her at the exact same intersection where another lady had died years ago. That lady actually lived in our house. Creepy. Anyway, she called it in. Police cited him. He took it to court. She had to testify. He was convicted. I am sure the judge figured "why the hell would she make this up and go through all of this trouble?"

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you wait to call it in the law enforcement won't give you the time of day. I know someone that seen someone get side swiped and called in a little later because they were driving and had to get to work in case the person that got hit called it in and they told them it was too late.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and I called in a person all over the road a couple weeks ago on interstate. We had not seen a HP in over and hour. With in 2 minutes of calling them in we had 2 of them right behind us as we followed the car. I just pulled over and let them do there job. It never hurts to call someone in if they are doing something wrong it's good that they get busted never know if they could of killed someone.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, call it in. It will be your word against theirs, but if they have made this a habit, and have been "warned" before, you might save a life.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. Call it in. They could've been high on weed, intoxicated, or had illegal items inside the car. Your phone call could've been enough info for police to at least pull them over later down the road to investigate and ask questions. Ya never know.

I purchased a car cam for just this reason. I won't need it until that one time when I need it to show what happened two seconds before something actually happens. $60 well spent.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well I called into highway patrol this morning at 8 am, lady who answered the phone said an officer would call me back, Nothing yet. so I will not hold my breath.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I called into highway patrol this morning at 8 am, lady who answered the phone said an officer would call me back, Nothing yet. so I will not hold my breath.

It's out of your hands now, but whatever happens, it's not your fault.

I dropped the dime on something really unsavory that I saw, a couple sundays ago at a local grocery store. Got a call back, might have to be a witness for the prosecutor. I don't mind at all. Involved a small kid. Someone has to stand up for little ones.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
H P Officer returned my call today about 2 pm, we had a nice 15 min chat. I gave him the rundown on what happened and he told me about all the guy would get is a 20$ fine for not stopping at a stop sign, because I cannot prove how fast he was going. He was still running the plates through the system when we were about done and told me if this comes up as a problem driver they might be able to do more. I thanked him for his time and that I just needed to talk to an officer to know that I tried. I thanked him for his service and he told me he was sorry to hear about my grandson, all in all I feel better now. Maybe the healing can begin. L Brandt

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good on you.

I have ran a stop sign a couple of times, but was in an extreme rush, slowed way down, looked both ways, and just kept on trucking.
The first time was the birth of my 3rd daughter, and the only other time I can remember was when I cut my thumb about off, and didn't want to get blood in mrs johnrs nice new car.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 205
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66