Where are the Birds?

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to take a couple of first time youth pheasant hunters out tomorrow. Only problem is we haven't had real good luck finding them ourselves. Not looking for anybody's honey holes just curious if somebody could give a general area to take them for some fun. I live around Minot and usually hunt down near the big lake or out around Norwich. But the birds are not there, and I would like the kids to have some opportunities. Thanks in advance.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow really:;:deadhorse. Just like FBO over 100 views nobody can help

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I commented on a post and the guy said he would rub poop in my face, so I am gun shy about helping now.
If you go around golden valley or zap I have found birds in that area.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a shot in the dark but maybe you need to PM members who have been out in your area. I think with the post stating not many birds out in your area maybe they are hesitant to share on a public forum. Just a thought

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow really:;:deadhorse. Just like FBO over 100 views nobody can help

NOT just like FBO. Keep in mind that I opened this topic thinking it may be about geese. I would submit that others might have thought the topic was about ducks, partridge, geese, ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse, or any other game bird and had nothing to post to help you. I live about 4.5 hours away from you so I would be of limited help as would many of the other members on here. Hunting spots are treasured keepsakes that are NOT given out lightly unless a person is willing to have them trodden into dust by hundreds of internet scouters. Additionally, getting upset by assuming nobody wants to help I suspect won't have a positive effect on your situation either. I sincerely hope you find some places to take your youngsters, but I for one, have no idea where to go around Minot. Good Luck!!!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'f u were in my area I would personally take u and the kids out with the dog and get u on birds but being 4 hours away that's not and option. I would head south mabey get around Garrison area and u should find some birds.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garrison area is where I would start. Walked smaller cattail areas Friday and found birds. Corn and flowers coming off so birds are loosing the big cover areas.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mallard Island

I got no boat:(

I was down in the Centennial Bay, Stenkie Bay, Garrison area last weekend, also tried wolf creek side with only spotty birds. But then a lot of crop was still up. I will try down there again.

As for you kdm Not once did I ask for a f----n turn by turn direction to the sacred grounds. On a year I can find them I wouldn't give that up either, if you go back and read the original post I simply asked for a general idea. For example garrison area.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll say they're turning with the season, be more specific and stop being antagonistic.

Last edited:

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing people don't really want to give out information that they had to pay themselves for, fuel, time, hunting, instead of going about it the lazy way.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing people don't really want to give out information that they had to pay themselves for, fuel, time, hunting, instead of going about it the lazy way.

This I understand I have walked a lot of miles on the state land around the lake this year. Spots that used to be good down there are so far not. And I drive a truck that averages 11.5 mpg and drive from the Denbigh forrest over by Towner to get there. I know about fuel. I just wanted a generalization of hey the Lake around Coleharbor/ Garrison is coming around. Thats a huge area I wasn't looking for the pin point spot. I can tell you all right now around Norwich is no good this year very few birds and the ones that are there are on the posted stuff.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As for you kdm Not once did I ask for a f----n turn by turn direction to the sacred grounds. On a year I can find them I wouldn't give that up either, if you go back and read the original post I simply asked for a general idea. For example garrison area.[/QUOTE]

As for you Icumpd, Thanks!! I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time you ask for help. Have a great day!!!!

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been trying to find birds in the Granville area with no luck. I've put on a lot of miles around garrison with sporadic success. I tried south of anamoose and found a couple birds but nothing to write home about. Seems like the birds are holding up on posted land or in the crops that are still standing. Saw some farmers burning sloughs yesterday which probably isn't helping any. Icumpd if you find somewhere to take the youngsters and want another dog on the ground I would be happy to help if I'm around. The next generation is future of our sport.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt around garrison on the corp land and I agree the birds are down in that area, or they got pounded real hard on teachers convention weekend. last weekend me and 1 other guy hunted 3 days around Audubon to Riverdale. defiantly more birds on the south side of the lake. but as low of numbers I have seen in the 15 years I have been going out there.

This I understand I have walked a lot of miles on the state land around the lake this year. Spots that used to be good down there are so far not. And I drive a truck that averages 11.5 mpg and drive from the Denbigh forrest over by Towner to get there. I know about fuel. I just wanted a generalization of hey the Lake around Coleharbor/ Garrison is coming around. Thats a huge area I wasn't looking for the pin point spot. I can tell you all right now around Norwich is no good this year very few birds and the ones that are there are on the posted stuff.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88