Where are the Birds?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt around garrison on the corp land and I agree the birds are down in that area, or they got pounded real hard on teachers convention weekend. last weekend me and 1 other guy hunted 3 days around Audubon to Riverdale. defiantly more birds on the south side of the lake. but as low of numbers I have seen in the 15 years I have been going out there.

Also appeared to me that bird numbers around the that area were down. We hunted on opener up there and although the crops in the areas we hunted were off, bird numbers were quite a bit lower than normal. Must have been a bad hatch up there or something, because other places I've been (90 miles each side of Bismarck) make it seem as though bird numbers are up.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a PLOTs guide and take the kids to an area with a fair amount of possibles, get there early and go from there; chances are they are happy to go with and care less on where. For what it is worth, I clicked thinking waterfowl.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
1st off the snide remarks to some of the members is unwarranted

But there is still alot of standing crop out there. the birds are in the crops.
I was down at the east end of the big lake this weekend. found decent numbers in the corps land next to standing crop.
as there is no snow on the ground yet they are spread out and still in the grass. once the crops come off and the snow flies it will be far easier to target them in cover. be prepared to really put the miles on for the birds

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you bothered to ask any of the landowners with the posted land for permission? I would bet explaining your situation with the youth hunters would gain you access to at least some of it.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
This I understand I have walked a lot of miles on the state land around the lake this year. Spots that used to be good down there are so far not. And I drive a truck that averages 11.5 mpg and drive from the Denbigh forrest over by Towner to get there. I know about fuel. I just wanted a generalization of hey the Lake around Coleharbor/ Garrison is coming around. Thats a huge area I wasn't looking for the pin point spot. I can tell you all right now around Norwich is no good this year very few birds and the ones that are there are on the posted stuff.

You are wasting gas and driving past lot of birds. Thats all I can say.

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing north of Granville? Try east of Glenburn, and you're welcome. Don't be a dick to these guys, they're really helpful.

EDIT - things are going to be posted tight now for deer opener, you're going to have to sift through land since people have posted land up that wasn't before. Or, wait until after deer season and ask for permission, 50%+ of people say heck yes in this area if you're nice, especially with kids or a lady.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are west of hwy 281 in ND you should be able to get some birds if you try. The foolproof method for finding them is driving around with the pickup as they eat rocks daily off the shoulder of the road.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the Garrison to Audubon area isn't quite as loaded with birds as it has been in past years. Not too many years ago there would be hundreds of them lining the ditches from Wilton up to Audubon, now when I drive that way during the witching hours I hardly see anything. I am sure there are still huntable numbers off and in the heavier cover, but they sure aren't out on 83 anymore.

Starting out in the Towner area, I'd probably head towards Lonetree WMA. Haven't been there this year, but it'd be a good first guess.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three things necessary to keep the pheasant population: 1) Food source, 2) water source, 3) habitat/cover.

I find tons of PLOTS access, but the farmer tilled the acreage and it's a bunch of wasted money spent by NDG&F. I'll see a good number of tree rows, but there won't be any fields of corn, sunflower, wheat, etc. in the vicinity. Again, I'll keep going until I can see the combination of all three ingredients. When I do, I knock on a few doors. I believe the landowners appreciate the visit and inquiry more than busting out the Gator and chasing down someone walking on illegally.

Remember... the weather has been AMAZINGLY warm the past few weeks. The birds will come together as the crops go away and the colder weather returns. Having 75-degree days doesn't bode well for tons of birds in the ditch line.

I was out Sunday morning, on a whim, and drove from north of Bismarck to just a few miles north of Wilton. Meandered south on gravel roads with my dog. Found a few places and walked some tree rows. My dog found 6 birds along two different tree rows. I fired my shotgun twice and brought home two roosters. I was pleased the dog was on his "A" game and my birds both head-shots. I also make notations where I'm locating these spots for future returns, but it's mostly a scouting trip turned successful!!

As with fishing, there will be times you go without. Those are the times I truly appreciate the days like yesterday. My pooch got extra treats yesterday for the great job he performed for me.
IMG_20151101_125821.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If all else fails you could talk to an upland game expert at scheels.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why are jigging raps the big craze all of a sudden the past couple years? Those lures have been around forever and have always been a great choice. Seems now thats all i hear about. Must be popular at the tourneys...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88