Where is North?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent 24 summers at the NW Angle LOW. Always had my GPS map headed up where I was headed with the cursor near the bottom of screen so I am seeing more of where I am going.
I fished with a person who has north set so it is always at the top. Was
that ever hard for me to adjust to.
My question for you. How do you have your map set???

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From and Civil Engineering standpoint the standard protcol is north is always up or to the top of the screen, however when developing plan sheets north was to be orientated to the top of the sheet or to the right. With current Autodesk Civil 3D software, north now aligns in what ever direction is most convenient for the sheet and project alignment. I find it much harder to follow. My graphs are on the boat and GPS on the sled are both set with north at the top of the screen.

I do think those that don't have a background in survey, engineering, or mapping probably find it easier to follow a GPS where screen orientation rotates around the vessel. This way when you make a turn to the right or left the track on the screen is true to the direction your turning. If you lock north to always be the top of the screen, when you drive south you have to remember that the direction your turning will be opposite of that direction on the screen.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After a six pack lean a little to the left and you will be about right. LB

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Course or track up for me always. Way easier to follow a contour or path when it’s generally the same as your path of travel. Never could adjust to following a line going across the screen rather than up. But each to their own!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
north is up and i also mark east and west in marker on the sides of gps or fish finder so i dont get confused.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my playground and why I like the track up!

1689371296739.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88