Windshield on a side by side?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a roof on the ranger last spring, but haven't put front or rear windows on yet. I am going to add a windshield for sure, some of the late day rides back to shore were brutal. My question is whether any of you guys have done this and not put the rear window in ? What I have read makes it sound as though the wind circles over the roof and sucks back in on you from the backside? Anyway just wanted to know if it does and I should just get the back window too right away. I'm not putting a full cab on, so that is not part of the question

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the question queer, or is it more the way I asked it? Either way give me a confusing answer,...tool

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a freakn' tool and have no idea on how to help with your situation.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quit holding out on me, what you don't share dies with you

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, you asked for it, so I'd say get someone who knows what they're doing to advise you or actually fix the damn thing.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of mine had the full windshield and back window and it did swirl in on gravel. I had a half windshield and no back one and didn't have near the dust problem. It still provided protection from the wind you just had to duck down to get out of the bugs.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing it would come in the back window. Here's my reasoning if this makes sense. When I get snow in the box of my truck and drive down the rd the snow always piles up in the box right behind the cab. But then again there's a window on the back of the cab. Maybe without the window the air would push it backwards outta the box. Guess I'm not much help but I think it would

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing it would come in the back window. Here's my reasoning if this makes sense. When I get snow in the box of my truck and drive down the rd the snow always piles up in the box right behind the cab. But then again there's a window on the back of the cab. Maybe without the window the air would push it backwards outta the box. Guess I'm not much help but I think it would

Negative, without a back window it would blow the snow into the cab.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the glass tip out. Yeah I had to sell my second born to buy it but it's worth it. Pop window open 6 in and airflow is good. Pop it all the way open life is good. BUT save your money and buy the full cab if you have any plans of keeping the ranger for years you will appreciate the full cab.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the glass tip out. Yeah I had to sell my second born to buy it but it's worth it. Pop window open 6 in and airflow is good. Pop it all the way open life is good. BUT save your money and buy the full cab if you have any plans of keeping the ranger for years you will appreciate the full cab.
Yep, window closed =major dust swirling. Open a few inches the dust blows out. Haven't ran mine with windshield all the way open. Not sure what that does.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had just a windshield on mine for a year, ate too much chemical and dust, put on a roof and back windshield problem solved, still get lots of airflow in summer without doors but no swirling dust and chaff. Check out Alumalite Armor, made by a Troy Katwyk in Utah. I got the suicide doors also, pretty nice in the winter and it's light so the center of gravity isn't crap with a full cab when you want it.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am dealing with the same situation as johnr. Those early morning and late evening rides are brutal. Whatever full windshield we get cannot be a split one. The area were the split ones are seemed are in the direct line of sight. This is actually the sidexside I got the Mrs. for her Bday so it's ultimately her choice. We may have to go the route that MT11 took and get the tip out for now.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, a Ranger (off road vehicle) Side-by-Side is not a Ranger (Sparlkly fishing boat) Dual Console. I just figured that out. Imagine my confusion. You guys and all your inside knowledge... Full cab? Split Windshield? Open it 6"? :;:help

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ran into this a few different ways.
Option 1 - Just a windshield = LOTS of swirling from behind - enough to cover you with snow in powder - really sucks (tracks are worse too)
Option 2 - Windshield + Rear Window = some swirling but much better than option 1
Option 3 - Cab - by far the best IMO. My parents have a new ranger with a cab and I would not own one without now. Even running it with the doors off is still better than both option 1 & 2.

If you use it a lot, my advice would be to spring for the cab even though you said no already. Leave the doors off or don't purchase them altogether if you want the open sides.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ran into this a few different ways.
Option 1 - Just a windshield = LOTS of swirling from behind - enough to cover you with snow in powder - really sucks (tracks are worse too)
Option 2 - Windshield + Rear Window = some swirling but much better than option 1
Option 3 - Cab - by far the best IMO. My parents have a new ranger with a cab and I would not own one without now. Even running it with the doors off is still better than both option 1 & 2.

If you use it a lot, my advice would be to spring for the cab even though you said no already. Leave the doors off or don't purchase them altogether if you want the open sides.

I agree, but I purchase this used ranger as a ice fishing, dog running, yard work type of vehicle. I bought used as I didn't want to put a ton into it, and the cab option is in the price range of what I paid for it. In the future when I upgrade it will be a new one with the cab, but for now, no way I am putting more than $500 or so into the windshield and rear window option.
When I think about it, for years using a sled or 4 wheeler to run around on the lake, I sure didn't have a cab to keep the wind and snow out.
I am thinking a windshield and rear window is on the Amazon cart this afternoon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88