#winnipegruinedme

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hawgeye if there was a Snobear out there in 09 when you first went it was me! Been going up there for a long time, most was 5 trips in one year, they know me well at the border..;:;rofl. Yep it ruined me also....first trip of the year two weeks ago.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Giant marks on the Vex followed by dead weight heavy head shakes is enjoyable. I still haven't got my teener yet, so I may have to go a few more times.;)
'

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love a fish in the teens. I dont know when it will happen, but it WILL happen!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I approve this thread. I saw a pic or two while they were up there, and while I didn't lose sleep over it, I sure was a mite jealous. Fun time for sure.

Looking at the maps, that lake is huge. I would have to go with others. It would be like ocean fishing - where do you start? On maps, it seems to be about the size of Lake Erie, for scale. Lotta ice/water.

I think for me, the fun part would be fishing with/near some kindred spirits.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I approve this thread. I saw a pic or two while they were up there, and while I didn't lose sleep over it, I sure was a mite jealous. Fun time for sure.

Looking at the maps, that lake is huge. I would have to go with others. It would be like ocean fishing - where do you start? On maps, it seems to be about the size of Lake Erie, for scale. Lotta ice/water.

It's pretty daunting when a mile move might mean only a 1FOW change. Being in close proximity to pressure ridges is a different mindset as well. Next time I'm going to drive straight into Gimli for a tour of the Crown Royal factory. Then struggle to get back out ice fishing.
I think for me, the fun part would be fishing with/near some kindred spirits.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing near enough to faintly hear a war whoop once in a while surely made it a blast. Nothing against Huff, but Jim and I were on pins and needles waiting for the call that it was Dirty. When the call finally came in that Dirty iced his career, we both stood up and high fived each other.

Not to say that we didn't high five when Huff got his two careers, because we did, we just wanted Dirty to have his day in the sun!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be fun I guess but my vacation time is spoken for hunting trips across the west. Fishing is just what I do in between hunting seasons.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are killing me with the LW talk. I'm in the same boat as JayKay. I would be completely lost going up there. For now i'll just be jealous of everyone else who gets to go.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could roll myself up into a large duffel bag, and stow away. I wonder though, if the border patrol found me.. Time was, when I woulda been fine with a pile of Labatts Blue empties. Now, I'd freeze to death if I got dumped at the border for four days.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not quite as hard as everyone makes it out to be, but someone with experience is a huge help. For $50 a person I would be willing to help you out. Discounts for larger groups! :;:rockitHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

- - - Updated - - -

I would even make sure you get the right baits from Dirty Mike!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hasn't ruined it for me, but I definitely enjoy being up there a lot. Scheduled this year for first week in March. When you get on the ice, it's crazy the miles of ice you see without a fisherman on it. Fishing isn't denting the population up there considering the entire north basin is virtually untouched in the exception of commercial fishing, and that's been limited quite a bit. Once you get past the urge to fish bottom structure like back home, there's not a whole lot of thought that needs to go into fishing up there. Drill, fish, move and repeat. When it's bitter cold you do a bit less moving which can be just as good at times.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I busted Mattracks up there badly last year. Had to limp back without a few bogey wheels. I've spent the past two weekends rebuilding them. Just ordered the last parts and with a few hours in the shop, I'll be ready to break something again up there. Winnipeg will test the structural integrity of everything you own.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep.

Did I miss the damage report on this last trip? Or are the shard fields from hell not too bad this year?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We busted right through a sled bottom last year, broke a vexilar, busted a handle on an auger, tore a tarp, lost my drinks when my sled tipped over and no one noticed for a mile. busted a windshield on a sled, tail light, and I put a treble hook through my finger and up under the nail from the back side.
You gotta have balls, and some disposable gear to chase them greenies.
Not to mention, no ice cold Busch lights on the lake...silly Canadians and their anti drinking on the lakes nonsense, just think how much more shit we would ruin if we were boozing too..

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually didn't break anything. Well except for the fouling of numerous spark plugs. I did do that.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone else think our switch to NDA has had an effect on how much more clever our vulgarity is?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke my vexilar to hds 7 base holder. My windshield on my sled and I feel very fortunate. The ice was smooth in my opinion. We hummed along pretty good with full size trucks driving out almost as far as we were.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke me tackle Plano and that was it I think. I haven't looked at my rods yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 18