#winnipegruinedme

Gator

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went last year, with a guide and a employee of pelican lake tackle co. I caught bigger fish in Sakakwea the weekend before. I had a good time with good people. Your not guaranteed to catch big fish, but your odds are better. That been said I am going back in February on my own. This time it's personal :mad:

guywhoalsofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been going up to Lake Winnipeg the last 4-5 years now, and it is always outstanding. My biggest walts have been 10.5lbs and a 12.5lb with many 6-9lbs. It is always a blast and my last ice fishing trip of the season because I go there for the last time in mid March. When the next walleye I catch is off the shores of Devils Lake before complete ice off, its still fun, but hard to get too excited about a 15" after being in the land of giants.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went last year, with a guide and a employee of pelican lake tackle co. I caught bigger fish in Sakakwea the weekend before. I had a good time with good people. Your not guaranteed to catch big fish, but your odds are better. That been said I am going back in February on my own. This time it's personal :mad:

This seems to be my luck as well. I've been going between 3-5 times a year for about the past 12-13 years (yep, that was even before 95% of the americans knew where this place was) and still haven't gotten one over 28''. I've had huge marks show up and buckle my rod over and not move of the bottom, only to unbuckle after a few cranks multiple times. I've gotten a bunch of 6-8lbers with countless under that, but still looking for a true giant. A local canadian guy I go with manages to catch a giant every couple times we are out, seen him catch 2 30+"ers one day while sleeping in the truck and hanging the rod out of the window. Every huge fish I've ever seen caught there has been on a 1/4oz or 3/8oz leadhead jig with a salted minnow. I've tried every kind of lure you can think of and he just laughs at me and continues to catch pigs on a goddam leadhead. Oh well, been there once this year already, most likely will be back a couple more times in March to try again.

On another note, I have heard from a few people up there that the manitoba DNR (or whatever they call it there) has been saying that between the commercial fishing and natives netting fish, the population is starting to show a decline and there may only have a few years left of really good fishing before there's a downswing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I'll let you guys go up and freeze your buns off "although I want one of those cool colored buggers and will go late ice this year".
I'm going to head west again.. soon, to the land of the giants. Where I once asked a local at the ramp how fishing was for them that day and he said "not to good just a couple dinks" I asked him wait a minute what do yo consider a dink?
He looked at his partner and said " oh anything under 11 lbs" right than I knew I was in the right place!

This big hen was just taken tonight. :;:rockit:;:rockit
16.5 my 17+ is waiting for me.
columbia 16.5.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
It'd be hard on the ranger on peck right now id think ha ha.
No the big C.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't see you said it was last night. Thought maybe it was a fall fish. That is a land of giants, unfortunately, it probably costs more than a couple hundred dollars to get there and back let alone fishing licenses, food and lodging.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't see you said it was last night. Thought maybe it was a fall fish. That is a land of giants, unfortunately, it probably costs more than a couple hundred dollars to get there and back let alone fishing licenses, food and lodging.

Yes, I would guess dragging a boat that far would add up in a hurry. Not that you'd have to bring your own boat.

Why, a bunch of us should get together and go! Say, like 12 of us, go wreak havoc on some slob walleyes.. (see where I'm going with this yet?).

We can just descend upon this pristine fishery and bogart all the big fat eyes. It's ripe for the taking - the locals will love us.

Famous last words, no doubt... (those guys from North Dakota love our Wisconsin money - they're happy to see us show up)

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I would guess dragging a boat that far would add up in a hurry. Not that you'd have to bring your own boat.

Why, a bunch of us should get together and go! Say, like 12 of us, go wreak havoc on some slob walleyes.. (see where I'm going with this yet?).

We can just descend upon this pristine fishery and bogart all the big fat eyes. It's ripe for the taking - the locals will love us.

Famous last words, no doubt... (those guys from North Dakota love our Wisconsin money - they're happy to see us show up)

Count me in as long as we all keep 20 over our limit. #cronies4life

Founding Member
Founding Member

Most of the time it costs us right around 600 each. But I've went for free a couple times just by taking good pics and selling them to magazines. ;) We've only pulled a boat out there one time to tell you the truth. If Montana's big ass wasn't in the way I'd be there 10 times a year at least! :)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time it costs us right around 600 each. But I've went for free a couple times just by taking good pics and selling them to magazines. ;) We've only pulled a boat out there one time to tell you the truth. If Montana's big ass wasn't in the way I'd be there 10 times a year at least! :)
That's awesome. The columbia is definitely on my to do list. That drive through montana is awful. Any different tactics you have to use as compared to our walleyes?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope we verticle jig allot with all sizes and kinds of jigs up to 3/4. Just depends on depth and speed I guess.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend just popped a 15# out west, I see its going to be 67 there this week but of course cooling down some when we get there next week.
This giant just came through the ice thou, 17.1#. Wish ND had allot more Ciscos that's for sure!
What a great looking fish.

walleye 17.1 fp.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now THAT is a fish of a lifetime!!!! Well proportioned, nicely colored, complete fins, and no scars (on one side anyway). Beautiful Walleye!!! Congratulations to the lucky angler!!!

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend just popped a 15# out west, I see its going to be 67 there this week but of course cooling down some when we get there next week.
This giant just came through the ice thou, 17.1#. Wish ND had allot more Ciscos that's for sure!
What a great looking fish.

image.jpg

I heard about a 17 coming from peck this last week, i'm assuming this is the same one... I'm planning a Winnipeg trip March4-7, and I keep asking myself why I plan trips there instead of peck... SMH I mean you can run 6 lines and can leave them as long as you have your name on them. Just set up a tip up on every point!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard about a 17 coming from peck this last week, i'm assuming this is the same one... I'm planning a Winnipeg trip March4-7, and I keep asking myself why I plan trips there instead of peck... SMH I mean you can run 6 lines and can leave them as long as you have your name on them. Just set up a tip up on every point!

Yea the setline thing is nuts, groups of guys on atvs will run points for 20 miles setting them up so you have to get out there early! One thing I never like is how sketchy the ice usually is. And folks drive atvs and utv around on it like we drive boats around on Sak!
That and most of the roads to get to any of the ramps are terrible. Nothing like pulling your trailer on 25-40 miles of washboarded out gravel! ha ha But it has giants! ;:;bowdown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 60
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19