Wormwood!

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any recommendations on controlling wormwood? I have a fairly large scaled infestation, shit pisses me off. Likes to grow on the edges of the weed mat along my tree lines and is now spreading throughout the yard. The goal is to find a solid weed control concoction that won't kill my trees (if that's even possible)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this stuff the "absinthe" base? I hope you get a remedy.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll see if I can ask my uncle who was having problems with it. You need to get it under control or they will kill the trees.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paramount with 2 4 D amine works. I worry that the Paramount kills trees though. Plateau will work as well and its labeled to use around trees. Plateau is more of a fall applied chemical but I've used it on wormwood in June. I mix 4 oz of plateau, MSO, and a pint of 2 4 D amine in 20 gallons of water and spot spray with an atv sprayer. Plateau is tough on grass so you may have dead spots of grass for a few years if you spray it on to heavy. The worst part of wormwood is the amount of seeds it produces and how many keep germinating even after you spray it. Good thick stand of grass is tougher for wormwood to establish in, so having the dead spots from plateau is not ideal.

Tordon and 2 4 D gives the best control of wormwood, but Tordon wont be to tree friendly.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Napalm might work but could be a little tough on trees and any other plants or structures in the area

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milestone.

This is what I use and it takes wormwood right out. Mix according to the label and apply directly to the plant. Be careful NOT to fall into the trap of "More is better" because you will kill everything including the grass. I use a 2 gallon hand sprayer and that covers the 20 or so acres I need to walk through and spot treat. It's also best if you hit it when it's still fairly small as you will get better control than when that crap is 3 ft tall and already put to seed. Good Luck, that crap is a buggar to control.

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
The stuff is an incredible nuisance, will drive you crazy. I had a major infestation in a patch of CRP and also at the edge of the tree rows. 3 years ago after a major rain I hand pulled that shit for two days. Cost me two days labor and a $50 chiropractor bill but it was effective. Root structure is fairly shallow. I've been spraying with a Round up/2-4-D/Tordon cocktail around the homestead but it seems like a never ending battle. Nettle, burdock, spurge, skunk cabbage all have had years of free reign and don't seem to want to give it up.
Too bad the pocket gophers don't chew the roots of that stuff.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I third the Milestone for treatment. As far as Plateau I don't think its available to use anymore as the peanut farmers were using it off label on peanuts and the EPA put a stop to its use. Would have to look it up to be sure.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can still get plateau at your county weed board. At least that is where you can get it in Pierce County. I think it's a restricted use pesticide and you will need a private or commercial applicators licence to get it

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guys,
Would this Milestone work for spot spraying to control thistle also? I used a spray called Forefront for spot spraying thistle and wormwood in my yard and surrounding edges last year. It seemed to do a decent job but haven't got to see the results this spring yet. It was a little tuff on the grass if a guy didn't mix it right' otherwise I was happy with the results. I was told this Forefront is a spray for pastures and I talked to a rancher that I know real well and he verified it. He used it in his pastures with good results.

Fish On!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milestone works great for many species of thistle as well. The price tag may shock you but one jug of it goes a long way.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milestone works excellent on thistle and wormwood. It will NOT work on spurge though. Plateau is still available through the local weed boards. If you get milestone through the weed board it'll run you about 10-15 bucks a bottle. If buying straight out it'll run 80-100. 16 oz. mix of milestone for 25 gallons of water and it'll have thistle and wormwood slumped over by the end of the day. I sprayed for 3 summers and used a ton of this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, stay away from Tordon (main use for spurge is a mix of Tordon, 2-4D amine, plateau and mineral oil)anywhere within 10-15 feet of trees. That will leach in the soil and it will kill trees. Been there done that!!

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys,
Would this Milestone work for spot spraying to control thistle also? I used a spray called Forefront for spot spraying thistle and wormwood in my yard and surrounding edges last year. It seemed to do a decent job but haven't got to see the results this spring yet. It was a little tuff on the grass if a guy didn't mix it right' otherwise I was happy with the results. I was told this Forefront is a spray for pastures and I talked to a rancher that I know real well and he verified it. He used it in his pastures with good results.

Fish On!

Yup, it will hammer mostly everything. As said before, it likes trees also so make sure of your wind. I got a little greedy last year and hurt some pines pretty bad that anything else wouldn't have phased them except Tordon. Tordon is still the best IMO, the jury is still out on the residuals of Milestone, anyone out there that has used it for more than 3 years? I've only used it for two years so we'll see what comes back I guess.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, it will hammer mostly everything. As said before, it likes trees also so make sure of your wind. I got a little greedy last year and hurt some pines pretty bad that anything else wouldn't have phased them except Tordon. Tordon is still the best IMO, the jury is still out on the residuals of Milestone, anyone out there that has used it for more than 3 years? I've only used it for two years so we'll see what comes back I guess.

I used it for 3 summers in a row spraying for the coal mines in their reclamation areas. Overall milestone is pretty kick ass. Each year three main types of weeds rotated. One year wormwood/thistle is the main issue, next year spurge. Talking with my old boss, he states this is still the case as far as the two main weeds are concerned. He continues to utilize milestone as the main chemical against wormwood and thistle though.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milestone is very effective on broadleafs, especially thistle, and wormwood. If mixed to label you shouldnt have any issues with grass. It will only target forbs. It also has a 3 year residual, so by if you treat an area in consecutive years it should be cleaned up nicely after year two. Definitely my "go-to" for these weeds. Good Luck.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
FwIw, wormwood makes a decent natural pest repellant. cut some tops just as they are starting to flower, hang in a dark place to dry, shed or whatever. Once dry crush them and soak in alcohol for a week, strain out plant material, might need to do it once with a strainer and again with coffee filters to get all the fine stuff out. Dilute and spray on plants that are being bothered by rabbits or other rodents, not sure if it would work well for insects, but it might.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going on 3 applications of milestone INSIDE my 15 acre tree rows of Ponderosa pines, junipers, Spruce, dogwood, and various other bushes over the last 6-8 years and I haven't seen regrowth in the exact same spots that I can recall. I haven't had to treat every year or even every other year as when I treat, it kills that stuff off real nice. What I've had to deal with is the new growth from seed. I'm due for another bout of this as it's been 3 years since I've had to treat. It's a conservation tree planting as cover for the deer that's about 20 years old to give you an idea of where I have been applying. I DO NOT mix it hot and I apply it right to the wormwood plant and try to get nothing else. Some of this stuff us right next to the tree base so you CAN use it close to trees you just have to be VERY CAREFUL and conscientious with your application. You sure don't want to put too much on or get it on the trees.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Milestone works great for many species of thistle as well. The price tag may shock you but one jug of it goes a long way.

Consider me shocked!! $100 bucks a quart?
Forefront was $75 bucks a gallon!
I realize it's probably not mixed as heavy and goes farther but holy crap that's allot of $$$$$$ for a tight ass! :cool:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38