Worst shooting day ever....

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a day I want to remember, could not hit anything....don't know what my trouble is, but its horrible. Start the day off with the furance not putting out heat, figured I miesewith it later in the day. Its the thermocouple, well mines a bitch to get out...can't even get anything in there to get a hold of it by the pilot light...mutha fudge....my screen door framing warped the other day, now doesn't shut...should just get drunk....

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you keep both eyes open when you shoot? i used to miss a lot before when i closed 1 eye.... now not so much.... and it's never a bad time to get drunk. sounds like u had a rough one

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same problem opening day for roosters. Hit my first 2 that day then took 5 for birds to get up at my feet before I dropped my 3rd.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a couple days this last week I would have been better off with a tennis racket, or swinging the gun like a bat.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hope it improves here soon...when you miss at like 8-10 birds in a row..there's something wrong. Probably watching the bird more than aiming I dunno...but this is how I feel......;:;banghead and should be doing this ;:;boozer

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1445134744157.jpg
Is this how the dog looked?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I have days like this I usually find it's because I'm too anxious and trying too hard. Things improve when I relax and concentrate more on a smooth proper mount. Most of the time my issue is follow through, sometimes cheek weld. Sometimes I'm tempted to to bend the gun around a tree as it's obviously being defective.:mad:;:;banghead;):;:huh:;:chillpill:;::::;;;;;;;:;:help

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I'm tempted to to bend the gun around a tree as it's obviously being defective.

Had a friend fall out of a tree stand and bend the barrel of a brand new rifle, he was so pissed off he stuck it in the crook of a tree and straightened it the best he could and had the balls to try it out after that, was even more accurate then before it was bent and he still shoots it to this day nearly 20 years later.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't hit a pheasant with lead shot to save my ass this year. I can not hit anything at all with steel shot (pheasant, goose, dove, duck etc.) and IDK why. I told the wife it was the gun that didn't fit me thinking she may tell me to find a different gun at nearly any cost. That however did not spew out of her mouth. Funny thing is, I can usually hit clays pretty good with lead shot but they don't taste as good as pheasants, even with gravy.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Breathe, you could have been indoors working all day like myself today... ;:;banghead
First off, id say go shoot some clays and/or try patterning your shotgun at 40 yards with a 40-50" circle with a 6" dark circle on center with a few different brands you trust and a couple different chokes you may have; circling your pellet holes after each round. Go back to the basics because nothing replaces confidence and frustration (worrying about missing) like a gun YOU know you can shoot the pimento out of an olive.
I will say that on father's day we had a big trap shoot with the mechanism mounted on a big pull behind trailer with 10 different shotguns (all virgin guns to me). There was a benelli montifeltro with a specific load (clear casing) that i absolutely could not miss with no matter what and after i took a little break and picked up an 870 with a complete different load (red federal shells), I absolutley could not hit Shit if you payed me and i chalked it up to a completely different load and pattern, (maybe even the f.p.s difference..)
It took me at least a half box of shells to find a different aiming point with that particular 870 and it just never did feel anywhere near as natural as the first gun i picked up nor like any of my other shotguns sitting at home. This just made me relate with your frustration in a similar instance and can relate it to a load and choke that was obviously not working for what i was used to.
The 3 different chokes i use (patternmaster, brileys full extended, stock modified) mixed with their own certain loads for both waterfowl and upland definitely have my brain trained.
Hope those beers help kick that frustration clock back a bit :;:cheers
(if you're missing on birds/clays flying straight away from you; try lowering your point of aim/bead 2-4 inches.)

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys.....see at time I'm not alone...but dang...it eats a guy....lol. There were times I just wanted to throw the shotgun at them...I'll probably hit em too....lol. Furnace....gas valve is shot...just great and on a weekend.....thank god for eden pure heaters.....
the screen door....still debating what to do with that. Just gonna hang low today do a few chores around the house. You guys that are out there..enjoy your day, hope you don't have a day like I did yesterday.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish that was my only problem yesterday. Fires are no fun. Thank god for smoke alarms cuz I was taking a nap when it started

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had more than on of those days and on those days, I've learned to just unload the gun and stop wasting ammo.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish that was my only problem yesterday. Fires are no fun. Thank god for smoke alarms cuz I was taking a nap when it started

Up by Tobacco Garden? Wife was working at the restaurant and said their had been a fire in a trailer, 2 living there, one asleep at time and smoke alarm had woke him up in time. Either way, glad you got out and sorry you have to deal with it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I have days like this I usually find it's because I'm too anxious and trying too hard. Things improve when I relax and concentrate more on a smooth proper mount. Most of the time my issue is follow through, sometimes cheek weld. Sometimes; I'm tempted to to bend the gun around a tree as it's obviously being defective.:mad:;:;banghead;):;:huh:;:chillpill:;::::;;;;;;;:;:help

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
holy crap Dusty, glad you made it.

I busted my first bird with my new Beretta A400 yesterday. I used a 20g on opening weekend, and yesterday took the big 12 out, I was shooting 7 1/2 shot, as the company recommended it, still was able to get my three birds even using trap shoot. I have half a box of these to use before I switch to my usual 5's.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went duck hunting for first time in a long time on Saturday. Had my new M2 and after a few initial misses settled down and waylaid the ducks. I have a new favorite shotgun. Smooth and easy on the shoulder.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19