Getting Old Sucks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess I am just like my dad was. Bumped my arm on door frame somehow when throwing some flower trimings out the back door. A couple min. later when walking down the hall felt something warm on my fingers. Blood dripping off and my forearm looked like I had been mauled by a grizz. dammed onion skin. I remember my dad working on tractors and stuff on the farm in his later years , at the end of the day he would look like he needed a blood transfusion, guess I am the same way. Get done what you want to do while your young cause old age and retirement aint what its cracked up to be. Worked hard so I can do what I want then the old body says you want to bet. ;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead Rant over. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting old has been my "go to" excuse for a while now, but in reality, it's just me being out of shape and lazy. When I shovel snow and have the aches and pains, it's not "I need to get my fat azz off the couch more!" it's "Man I hate getting old!" Why is it always easier to blame something else like getting old, which I can't control, when the real reason I feel the way I do is staring back at me in the mirror and it's my own damn fault?? One of life's greatest mysteries...... Oh, and don't feel too bad LB. It's a rare day when I don't bleed at some point during the day for something less than bright that I've done at some point.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, I bleed like a stuck pig, but if I set in the house I would be nuts in a week, so guess I will bleed and get bruised up for now

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting old has been my "go to" excuse for a while now, but in reality, it's just me being out of shape and lazy. When I shovel snow and have the aches and pains, it's not "I need to get my fat azz off the couch more!" it's "Man I hate getting old!" Why is it always easier to blame something else like getting old, which I can't control, when the real reason I feel the way I do is staring back at me in the mirror and it's my own damn fault?? One of life's greatest mysteries...... Oh, and don't feel too bad LB. It's a rare day when I don't bleed at some point during the day for something less than bright that I've done at some point.

There you go, adulting again.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a skin scrape these days and it takes for ever to heal. Thin skin runs in our family, Gma ( lived to 102) could run into a padded chair and start bleeding. Oldest bro is the same way and I am following suit. Worked farm and railroad for 45 yrs, should have rawhide for skin.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Getting old means i'm retire for two years now so it is great for that. Could never go back to work no matter the salary. Come and go as i please with no one other than the family to answer to and myself. Been sitting in various stands every night for the last two weeks with my ML. Damn deer as of yet will not come up in shooting time and it has been kind'a cold and the 1/2 mile walks back in the dark suck when the wind blows. When it does not blow kind'a peaceful.
Put 15 bullets through it on paper and was hoping to put one into a deer. Last night did have one in the scope at 25 yards but maybe around 120 so not what i am looking for. Not a big think as i still have my bow tag. I hope to keep getting older and do not miss that drive to work at all. Had a mule deer permit but i was no where in shape to be out there.

Yes, like my dad my hands continue to bleed sometimes just by touching and they are slow to heal. db

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys that bleed easily take a baby aspirin every day? If you do there's your bleeding/healing problem, mine too. But keep taking the aspirin and keep the strokes away!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't bleed easily, but I can sure use a pill for anti-stupid and anti-clutzy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
No matter the aches and pains of growing older, always remember that growing older is still better than the other option.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Doing the Old Man shuffle on this ice. Falling down used to be funny. Not anymore.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Doing the Old Man shuffle on this ice. Falling down used to be funny. Not anymore.
Last winter I dropped some stuff off at my brothers house in town and was headed back to my truck and stubbed my foot on a piece of ice on his driveway. Now his driveway is real steep and my center of gravity threw the top half forward and the bottom half did not catch up until I hit the patch of ice in the middle of the street and then all hell broke loose. I do remember the sickning sound of the back of my head hitting pavement and then all the pretty stars floating by. My first thought is someone coming down the street, will I get run over like a beached whale. A quick east west look and I dont see any bumper bearing down on me thank God. Next thing I know three young boys from across the street were standing around me with their cell phones out ready to call 911 or maybe they were filming I dont know, but they did help me up and get me too my truck for which I was thankful. I made sure their folks new how grateful I was and how great their boys were and the boys were rewarded for their kindness. Got home and my nurse wife did the concussion check on me. OK but did have a head acke for a few days' All through that tumble I was carrying a plastic bag full of pint jars and never broke or chipped a one. Unreal but shit happens.LB

Happycamper

Honored Member
I always felt like I never let the grass grow under my feet. I grabbed life and tried to live it to the fullest and tried to share the best parts with friends and youngsters I thought "had the stuff". I've been a fortunate man with tons of great memories, many of them in writing.
So, two months ago when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my urologist wasn't too optimistic I figured I'd ride this one out.
There already was a spot on my lung and Afib but, none of us will get out of here alive and I'm not about to feel sorry for myself.
I know my spirit will live on in the guns and gear i've willed and my hunting camp will be enjoyed by future generations.
Life will go on.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Now thats courage. Wishing you the best and praying for the rest. LB

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always felt like I never let the grass grow under my feet. I grabbed life and tried to live it to the fullest and tried to share the best parts with friends and youngsters I thought "had the stuff". I've been a fortunate man with tons of great memories, many of them in writing.
So, two months ago when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my urologist wasn't too optimistic I figured I'd ride this one out.
There already was a spot on my lung and Afib but, none of us will get out of here alive and I'm not about to feel sorry for myself.
I know my spirit will live on in the guns and gear i've willed and my hunting camp will be enjoyed by future generations.
Life will go on.

Food for thought from Bob Dole's farewell letter: "I'm a bit curious to learn if I am correct in thinking that Heaven will look a lot like Kansas. And to see, like others who have gone before me, if I will still be able to vote in Chicago."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84