• $151 - $250

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • More than $250

Votes: 37 40.7%

• Total voters

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I've ever spent over $100 on a rod until I started building them. I will never buy a store bought rod again.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most expensive right now is an old G. Loomis walleye series rod. I did buy an NRX at one point but I didn't like it and sold it shortly after buying it. I do still have a lightning rod that goes with me on most trips.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bunch of G-Loomis IMX, GL1, GL2, GLX models like guy above 35 plus years old when Gary first started and I still have them, got great deal on them at show. I have since tried few custom and other high end models that are very good too. I treat my rods like gold.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
E8F8DFAD-821A-47C3-98E2-B5A131FC407E.jpeg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bunch of G-Loomis IMX, GL1, GL2, GLX models like guy about 35 plus years old when Gary first started and I still have them, got great deal on them at show. I have since tried few custom and other high end models that are very good too. I treat my rods like gold.
Exactly those new g Loomis blanks are still made with g Loomis specs outsourced to china but the issue is the guides and the build are not the same. Gary Loomis still makes rods just not for Shimano. You have those old g Loomis blanks are worth more now then they were new to a rod builder. I learned this from the guy who taught the class I called him up one time and we talked about different topics after I told him about my long rod build mishap, he said he never knew of a person who built a rod on the wrong side of the spine before. 😳

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Internesting we have a full blow thread going on right now talking about the country going into a recession or depression and the next thread shows nearly 60% of us owning a fishing rod over $150. Pot, meet kettle, lmao!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
For regular fishing about the most expensive I've bought are St Croix Avid and Fenwick Elite Tech and I've bought those on sale. I do also fly fish and that's where things get expensive. Cheap rods are $200, mid priced $500, top of the line $1k+

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Internesting we have a full blow thread going on right now talking about the country going into a recession or depression and the next thread shows nearly 60% of us owning a fishing rod over $150. Pot, meet kettle, lmao!
Well this some up a response quite nicely
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
~Doug Larson
It's guywhofishes signature guns, fishing rods and underwear I recession proof JMTC

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used the points on my Cabela's card to get a G-Loomis about 10 years ago. It was the walleye version can't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I build my own so haven’t bought a rod off the shelf for years. I look at them tho. Still prefer custom built with MHX elite or Rainshadow blanks. Materials to build run about $200-$250

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of surprised at the number of users that build their own. Isn't it kind of cost prohibitive to get into the supplies and gear for building rods mostly for your own use? Or, maybe more like, what are you all doing with those extra rods your create for shits and giggles?

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I could never bring myself to buy a store bought rod. I just couldn't imagine doing that. Same with jigs and ammo. It would just sicken me if I actually did that. I always prefer buying them off of Bisman.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of surprised at the number of users that build their own. Isn't it kind of cost prohibitive to get into the supplies and gear for building rods mostly for your own use? Or, maybe more like, what are you all doing with those extra rods your create for shits and giggles?
It wasn't too bad. I got into it because I wanted to get my wife a custom rod. After seeing what the prices were to get one built and then looking at the price of supplies, I thought why not give it a shot. First few were ice rods and a little rough looking, I still have them and use them. I then decided to make a business out of it and registered my trade name . I get pretty busy at the beginning of each season, but nothing too out of control. More than anything, I enjoy doing it. I'm still not an immaculate rod builder, but I can put a pretty nice rod together.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I've never tried building a rod, but have tried to fix quite a few. I have a St. Croix pack rod that was over $100, but otherwise like the value for dollar from Scheel's guide series and One series. My costliest rod is a St. Croix #8 fly rod (for walleyes and northerns) that was a bit over $200...but my most PRECIOUS rods are the old Shakespear Wonderglass rods of my Dad's and his Dad. Once in a great while I will take one of them out for bass or trout, but don't want to lose or damage them.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wasn't too bad. I got into it because I wanted to get my wife a custom rod. After seeing what the prices were to get one built and then looking at the price of supplies, I thought why not give it a shot. First few were ice rods and a little rough looking, I still have them and use them. I then decided to make a business out of it and registered my trade name . I get pretty busy at the beginning of each season, but nothing too out of control. More than anything, I enjoy doing it. I'm still not an immaculate rod builder, but I can put a pretty nice rod together.
You have Facebook or website bud to see your inventory

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My stuff was all bought 30 to 40 years ago, no calling kettle black here

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got one i claimed as a kid back home in the fifties from those my dad had along with a bamboo pole my son got and never bought one in my life. Have both of those yet. Wife did buy one many years ago as a birthday gift. I am sure it was not much. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80