Zebra Mussels Discovered in Twin Lakes

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebra Mussel infested pontoon highlights ANS danger to Lake Sakakawea (msn.com)

Which of you maroons was this?

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, so many of you are correct in that we can't stop aquatic invasive species. Quite a few years ago I worked on the EIS for the Red River Valley Water Supply Project and we hired the country's foremost expert on invasive species to help us understand the risks.

Basically, he came to the conclusion that they can't be stopped. Zebra and quagga mussels are a virtual certainty, round goby, spiny water flea and all the others come in right behind them.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard the zebra mussel pontoon was staged to show how the gnf stops ans and that your money is being spent effectively #$%^&>;:;popcorn:;:smokin

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you put signs up for the humans to stop the spread, you better do it for all the turtles, aquatic birds (ducks, geese, loons,etc) and other animals using the water source (especially when lakes are in close proximity to each other...MN). Quite certain we aren't the only ones spreading it around, to think so would be naive.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I do want to know is how to decontaminate the area of the pontoon that is in direct contact with the bunks. Someone, anyone?

It would seem to me that to fully decontaminate a boat, pontoon, or other water craft would be to suspend it in the air so you can reach 100% of the surface area. After all, these critters are pretty small.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're coming for sure. I think for some lakes it will make the fishing better, some far worse, and some you won't know. Fishing is the smaller part of it. Water intakes and other structures are the real PITA for mussels. We'll pay for that. Geography plays a part in terms of prevention though. I just fished in WY. Inspected at the border, and really I90 and I25 are the main entrances for boats. Add in inspections and each lake and they have a fairly good defense against AIS. Now, is that possible in ND, SD, or MN? Heck no. Too many ways in, too many lakes. They're going to get here soon enough.

That isn't to say I won't do my part to slow the spread. I fished Sharpe a week ago and if I would have had my own boat their, I'd have made sure it was dry before I dropped it in another "clean" lake. Even if they are coming, we can make an effort to slow it down.

Valid points on the trailer bunks.....if they aren't dry they can carry mussels and veligers. If the bottom is covered and on the bunks, not sure you could really decontaminate without the boat off the trailer in the air....

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could you spay the bunks with a decontaminate before loading boat?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Isnt there a sunfish that eats them there mussels, for the life of me I cannot think of what they are called. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got ckd yesterday at the hook. The gf guy told me that they tried in the worst way to find a zebra mussel in dl last yr

He said they dove trees rocks dock brought in pieces to look at under microscope. I truly believe those wake boats are 100% of the issue

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
like someone else mentioned previously i love how the GNF essentially blames the public and puts the pressure on the general public when they very likely spread the ANS and zebra mussels faster and to numerous bodies of water themselves for years........ lets tax the public to take care of a problem created by the Govt, while at the same time blame them for creating it.
dont understand why steinwand or the GF weren't held more accountable. we literally burn someone at the stake for not properly cleaning their boat but turn a blind eye to our GNF who spread it for years......... and then we trust them to create a sticker and put the money to good use......they ( GF) are literally laughing their asses off on how dumb we are

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
20210707_135617.jpg

Don't blame me u sobs. Watch your trolling rods better. Save a crank

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shootin Blanks, some species of fish do start eating zebra and quagga mussels. Sturgeon, perch, sheepshead are a couple that I know of that will eat them. Zebra and quagga however reproduce at fantastic rate, so fish rarely eliminate all of them. Eyexer, in Lake Erie, spring weather conditions are the largest single factor to reproductive success for walleye. Zebra and quagga mussels have changed the water clarity in Lake Erie in addition to reductions in contaminants. What this has done for the fishery was to force anglers to change tactics. in the 80's, Erie Dearies (weight forward spinners) were the go to rig of choice due to cloudy water conditions. The improved water clarity forced anglers to change to more natural, less obtrusive presentations. Zebra and quagga mussel infestation, as with any other invasive has the possibility to up end fisheries. If everyone does their best to clean their boats between uses/ transfer to other bodies of water, the slower the spread will be.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shootin Blanks, some species of fish do start eating zebra and quagga mussels. Sturgeon, perch, sheepshead are a couple that I know of that will eat them. Zebra and quagga however reproduce at fantastic rate, so fish rarely eliminate all of them. Eyexer, in Lake Erie, spring weather conditions are the largest single factor to reproductive success for walleye. Zebra and quagga mussels have changed the water clarity in Lake Erie in addition to reductions in contaminants. What this has done for the fishery was to force anglers to change tactics. in the 80's, Erie Dearies (weight forward spinners) were the go to rig of choice due to cloudy water conditions. The improved water clarity forced anglers to change to more natural, less obtrusive presentations. Zebra and quagga mussel infestation, as with any other invasive has the possibility to up end fisheries. If everyone does their best to clean their boats between uses/ transfer to other bodies of water, the slower the spread will be.

I say again: Paddlefish; along with drum and LB's shellcrackers.

- - - Updated - - -

Whale and basking shark are unrealistic.

https://mtprof.msun.edu/Fall2012/ellis.html

- - - Updated - - -

Of course Global Warming must be mentioned.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I do want to know is how to decontaminate the area of the pontoon that is in direct contact with the bunks. Someone, anyone?

It would seem to me that to fully decontaminate a boat, pontoon, or other water craft would be to suspend it in the air so you can reach 100% of the surface area. After all, these critters are pretty small.

​Buy vinegar in 55 gallon drum for your power washer. Works.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Also the bunks themselves that are under the boat. I've pulled my boat out of many lakes that leave algae and muck all over the bunks and then that muck is stuck between the hull and and the bunks until the next time I use it, which could be the next day, different lake.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
we literally burn someone at the stake for not properly cleaning their boat...
...they ( GF) are literally laughing their asses off...

So someone was burnt at the stake? When was this? Seems like it would have made the news...
Also, you're telling me there's people at game and fish that no longer have an ass? That must be a weird look...

...Sorry, I have nothing of value for this thread, but my 13 year old constantly misuses the word "literally", and it drives me nuts.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
So someone was burnt at the stake? When was this? Seems like it would have made the news...
Also, you're telling me there's people at game and fish that no longer have an ass? That must be a weird look...

...Sorry, I have nothing of value for this thread, but my 13 year old constantly misuses the word "literally", and it drives me nuts.

The person burned at the stake was a white male Republican, so it’s not news worthy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84