Zebra Mussels Discovered in Twin Lakes

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]TheNorth Dakota Game and Fish Department has confirmed the presence of invasivezebra mussels in Twin Lakes, LaMoure County, after a local cabin owner reportedadult mussels attached to a floating log over the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aquatic nuisancespecies coordinator Ben Holen said subsequent follow-up sampling found a fewother zebra mussels attached to woody debris. In addition, Game and FishDepartment ANS staff processed plankton tow net samples collected from TwinLakes June 22, and zebra mussel veligers were detected in those samplesindicating a breeding population of mussels within the lake. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 1,735-acre lakeis a popular fishing destination located a few miles north of LaMoure. TwinLakes is located approximately six miles from Lake LaMoure, which had aconfirmed finding of zebra mussels in 2020.[/FONT]

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
All they have to do is add $5 to the cost of a fishing license and ANS will disappear

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Give us more money so that we can follow the science!

You'll have to forgive me - I was born and raised in MN where more government funding is the proposed solution to every problem.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Humans think they can control everything....they can't. See viruses, climate, ANS, etc. Impact, yes, control, no.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good timing with the boat ramp issue then ;:;barf

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weirdly enough, I went to Ottertail Lake for the 4th of July to visit relatives. Figured it would be un-swimmable due to all the zebra mussels.

Hardly saw a single one. Not sure if they go in boom/bust cycles like other critters, or if they're doing something to mitigate the numbers. I remember two years ago they were attached to just about every rock and dock lift.

And there was still plenty of scum and algae in the water. I just don't think zebras are nearly as bad as they're made out to be for every lake they land in. NOT saying that we should just shrug our shoulders. But I certainly don't think they're a death sentence.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told that fish have figured out how to eat them now. So I guess problem has been solved

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They certainly are the big issue they’re made out to be. They made Lake Erie the fishery it is today

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Could paddlefish and black drum provide a benefit? I've also pondered paddlefish stocking in Flathead Lake Mt to combat the shrimp.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a species of brown trout; the gillaroo which prefers to eat snails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillaroo

Last edited:

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Show me one state that has stopped the spread of zebra muscles?? Only way to maybe stop it is to completely ban all boats, and even then I doubt it would work over time, we will get them in all our water eventually

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Discovered" lmfao they've been there for years. They are probably in 50% of ND waters by now but haven't been "discovered" yet. The GNF was spreading these damn things for years before they "discovered" them in the VC hatchery. Yep blame boaters......

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was thinking short was being sarcastic. Maybe not? Either way there’s almost no way they aren’t in there. Same with Sak, Alkaline, Audubon, etc. I also agree with NDSportsman on his entire post. Finding them in the body of water from which the ND G&F were transporting fish to the state’s fisheries for 80 years…WHOOPS!!!

However it happened, it was bound to happen. Invasive species are simply unstoppable. No matter how hard you try there are enough people willing to push the boundaries or ignore the warnings. You can’t fix stupid and humans are really good at proving that repeatedly.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88