Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another year of poor onions. Garlic grows decent but onions are all pingpong ball sized.
That was about it for my onions also. Have a tough time growing them for some reason 🤷‍♂️

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another year of poor onions. Garlic grows decent but onions are all pingpong ball sized.
KDM put in an order for 100# of my sweet onions this spring and I tried something different and grew them in tubs. When I harvested them some weighed 1 1/2 pounds. All different sizes and they grew better in my older tubs. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LB, That is awesome. You got lots to sell?
Nope, all gone but if you want some for next year I am taking orders. I need to know buy first of next year so I can let the people who do my starter plants know how many I need. LB

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to freeze about 400 of my large cherry tomatoes today. Just wash, take the stems off and put 20 in a quart freezer bag. So when making chili or soup or hot dish just dump a bag in. Its OH SO GOOD. LB
Do you remove the skins after they are cooked? The skins on my cherry tomatoes this year are tougher than hell, I wouldn't want them in my chili, soup, or any other dish. I do freeze the larger tomatoes but after they thaw a bit I remove the cores and the skin. Super easy way to preserve them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The skins on my super sweets are cig-paper thin so no problem adding to chili or hot dish. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get those seeds from Gurneys and start them my self. They are not cheap at 9.99 for 10 seeds. The fruit are not tiny, about the size of a ping pong ball and not a true red color. You will see once you find them in the catalog. Just checked on the name "sweet treats hybrid" is their rightful name. LB

Last edited:

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
do you plant starts or sets? maybe try growing from seed, mine get huge every year I start them from seed...
This year I started from seeds. For some reason they just don't seem to ever take off. Can't remember when I started them but when they went outside there was almost nothing to them. Seemed to lose half before they even went outside. I think over watering was part of my problem

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year I started from seeds. For some reason they just don't seem to ever take off. Can't remember when I started them but when they went outside there was almost nothing to them. Seemed to lose half before they even went outside. I think over watering was part of my problem
besides starting from seed, onions like fertile soil and they dont like to dry out. As with most plants, they can be over watered, but you really dont want to let the soil dry between waterings. I water my garden stuff 3x a week using drip irrigation. Works great

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fertilized our onions once a week for a month and then twice the next month and then one more time as they started to die off. This was the best year of onions for my wife and I yet.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres only one thing that I'm looking foreward to this winter , I finally decided to buy an indoor grow tent to grow enough fresh salad , sprouts and cucumbers we can produce in a 4x8 controlled environment. Has anyone tried kratky hydroponic systems ? We are going to try that and maybe a few grow bags for starters and see what works best. Lycan , do you still grow veggies indoors ? what method do you go with ? Those self pollinating cucumbers grow fast .

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres only one thing that I'm looking foreward to this winter , I finally decided to buy an indoor grow tent to grow enough fresh salad , sprouts and cucumbers we can produce in a 4x8 controlled environment. Has anyone tried kratky hydroponic systems ? We are going to try that and maybe a few grow bags for starters and see what works best. Lycan , do you still grow veggies indoors ? what method do you go with ? Those self pollinating cucumbers grow fast .

Kratky is shit, its hard to beat COIR in a drain to waste type system. Do you have a light yet? I know a bit about lights if you need some advice. Youll want at least 20w / sq/ft of good LED... Make sure if you are growing hydro, use hydro nutes. These nutes work pretty well and they will send you a generous free sample which is enough to get a good feel for them.

https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop/

PH is critical in any hydro system, PH pens are either junk or expensive, These tests work just about as well and are much cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265182684661?epid=1344753644&hash=item3dbe1ea5f5:g:5b0AAOSwKXdaTt9W&amdata=enc:AQAIAAABIMEUk0f7hBP9R24uO5PaGoaHGfaIFKdtyaZtN+SgedpZY2dngxuP0MWfWa4PfXnn9P0AV9SouxiF2AZJddptc3diZoABViyh4jtEfpVWURH2VvWOx2vwLwDVUvWOrChx3djwFv/0MLvw7o5XjLXtMPheY0zj9L+bv61lqNxj82D62XjjemA+prsGqS0B7TQ5QkWbbM0lwgyBm+OW5TuavzJSBrBzahvOlBbAowMymu68M/pN26Ao+gyGb7dQQFkk5ENDSZUQvFNL/lVNBXNY2OS6PH/e3v4IpLUQuF5O/VVCIpWdyURApseM/RMbb1RPvBmsi/xJp+2iJ3GpOZ237twhJWjRxQvZblOcxCCRvEOGbEYfItx7sgknatYJ0L1W8A==|tkp:BFBM4oLc4OBi

Also youll want a PPM meter, they are cheap and really helpful.

If your water is hard at all, use RO or distilled or rain. Youll need to adjust PH, you can use sulfuric acid from an auto parts store. Youll want to dilute it significantly. Ive used 3oz of acid diluted in a 2 liter pop bottle filled with RO.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to read up on it next week. I thought the Kratky system with air stones looked pretty slick , what are the drawbacks ?Seems like you could leave it unattended for a week or a month if you had to.

We have good luck with soil and grow bags but it gets to be a messy clutter in front of the south windows of the basement and It works good there as we get full sun supplement with cheap LEDs off ebay. It's mostly just a hobby, wife and I enjoy new adventures in gardening and we both have a sweet tooth for fresh garden produce and that fresh garden smell perks us up in the dead of winter. I haven't put any thought into variety in the past , we always planted what ever we had on hand . The grow tent has been sitting in the box all summer, I thought we better take care of one garden before we start another.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well the growing season is done here unless you covered real good. You could see every hairy dog turd out there. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had picked the melons and piled them up and covered them good thinking the 40 degree ground temp would keep them from freezing. Looked at 2 am and it was 24 so went out and grabbed a few and brought them in . This morning I went back out and stuck food thermometer in a couple and found 29 degrees. Guess I'll have to cut them in half and scoop out the good stuff and figure out from there . The winter squash should be ok though

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had picked the melons and piled them up and covered them good thinking the 40 degree ground temp would keep them from freezing. Looked at 2 am and it was 24 so went out and grabbed a few and brought them in . This morning I went back out and stuck food thermometer in a couple and found 29 degrees. Guess I'll have to cut them in half and scoop out the good stuff and figure out from there . The winter squash should be ok though
You got hit worse than me. Frosty this morning but not as bad as I thought. Bismarck. Hopefully you will be able to salvage some.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Stayed warm enough in town here to keep things going a couple days yet but looks like there's a freeze beginning of the week that'll finish everything off. Last batch of salsa this afternoon. Get some garlic in the ground and I'll be done for awhile

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53