Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got extra Boreal Blizzard and Honey Bee haskap Id sell right now if anyone is interested. Ended up making more than I need, can ship for cost...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also for anyone dealing with rabbits/rodents, I found these super sized bait bars online that should work well for rabbits. Fit inside a 4" sewer pipe to keep larger animals from accessing them.
20231013_082653.jpg

20231013_082720.jpg

20231013_082729.jpg

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tastiest jam on planet earth.

Don't even try to debate this as I've done the experiment. (trust the science 🤓)
Ive become a big fan of mixed fruit preserves... 20% black currants makes almost everything better IMO. I made some raspberry black currant jam recently thats amazing!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive become a big fan of mixed fruit preserves... 20% black currants makes almost everything better IMO. I made some raspberry black currant jam recently thats amazing!
Black currant (or raspberry in a pinch) is my go-to to buy at the store when I'm out of jam at home or visiting relatives, etc.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well I pulled the last of the carrots this afternoon since it was nice out and the ground was soft from the last rains, Had about 15 ft of row and got about 30# of nice carrots. These were planted in early August from where I had early green beans in. I have 2 cropped like this before and it has worked well. I planted Dante 1/2 longs so get carrots about 5 inches long and 1 and 1/2 inch diameter. Just right for blanch and freezing. Now its just cleaning up and tilling in some fall fertilizer from the cow yard and adding some pocket gopher mound dirt to my tubs of garden soil. Very few weed seeds in that type of soil. Works for me. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to convince my wife about your carrot method or plant them later in the year so they don't get so big when you leave them in the ground waiting for a frost, but, she is stubborn about her carrots.

Good feeling to get it all in and call it a year. One of our boys and a 3 hard working grandkids came home to help and bring some home fresh produce, For the first time all that work was fun for me and they had a blast doing it trying to out work each others. For dinner we had Zucchini Lasagna and they had seconds and 3rds , after dinner I asked what they wanted for Sunday dinner and one hollered lasagna and the other two hollered YES. They were happy to each pick out a huge pumpkin but they all wanted to take two zucchini. We all had fun and agreed that we should make fall harvest an annual event.

Holey mackerel the ground got hard here this year. I use a farmall Super C and 8' cultivator for deep fall tilling and pulled cantaloupe sized clumps where ever I didn't have drip lines, it was a tough pull for old red. I think some of it is from using drip line and everything but the rows get so dry but my soil needs building. I put a whole round bale of straw down and worked it in good, last fall I worked in a few square bales and the ground was nice and mellow last spring .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been thinking on having a couple big straw bales run through one of those hay grinders and then till it in, in the fall. I do leave my sweet corn stalks stand over winter and then in the spring I use an old set of blades in my zero turn and mulch them up. I was amazed at how well the carrots in my second crop grew. I tiller up the row where I had harvested and then drove my golf cart down that row then spread the carrot seeds in the wheel track using like an old salt shaker to spread the seeds. Covered the seeds with 3/8 dirt and tamped the dirt down lightly with a 8" piece of 2x4. Kept it wet until the seeds sprouted and then watered 3 times a week right down the row and spread some 10-10-10 fertilizer every 2 weeks and watered it in. My soil is so sandy that I have to pack it some to be able to hold moisture. Carrots and my big sweet onions do real well in it. Had a few onions go a pound and a half and bigger than a soft ball. KDM got a 100 pounds of those from me to dehydrate. Scene it was the end of growing season I took KDM a level box full on my Ford Ranger of a little bit of every thing. Those chickens he raises eat good on what ever he and Sandy didnt can and that cooler full of chicken and burger was excellent, good trade. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW , Your land is looking good. You'll have berries coming out your ears , are you thinking of a U pick berry patch ?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW , Your land is looking good. You'll have berries coming out your ears , are you thinking of a U pick berry patch ?
Same thing I was thinking.
between the bees, the Mexican vanilla, and now the berry patch, this fucking fella is gonna be set.
Don't forget the fish slurry fertilizer ordeal, probably be the best berry, honey, vanilla ordeal of all time.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about a possible u pick down the road, im close enough to bismarck that it would be feasible, not sure about profitable though... Otherwise it will be a F&F type deal

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19