Getting into Canada

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife is Canadian and we travel north once a month. A couple times I've been through with just a drivers license and a birth certificate. I love hunting and fishing in ND just as much as the next guy, but that doesn't stop me enjoying Canada's resources as well. I've had some fantastic hunting and fishing trips north of the boarder.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigman I assume u were going to morden thru maida. The dead horse pub is a place I will never forget. Oh the good old days.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know for certain, buddy just went through it 2 years ago, a pardon from the queen was necessary. He hired an attorney even, just ta make sure it was all done right

Im not calling you out Juan just people that say I thin, or I've heard you have to.....

Even my friends make a big deal out of it, just to say, that's all you had to do. "I didn't think you could even get across with a DUI"

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
You didn't by chance cross at Rainy River did you? We did this year and had a real winner of a lady there. I'm kind of hard of hearing I couldn't hear her very well, must have thought I was being funny asking her to repeat herself and she had us come in for a little interegation!

I have never had much of an issue at the border but I dont have a dui. Last winter on the way back I did get hassled a bit coming back in to the states. I was asked if I am bringing anything back and I said "just my limit of walleye" they were dead, packed in a 5 gal bucket of snow. He gave me some shit about transporting live fish across the border. I argued that they were not alive. he grumbled about it but let me go. It is totally dependent on what mood they are in. pretty sure this guy was on his period.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't be afraid to record names, write letters and/or make phone calls.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigman I assume u were going to morden thru maida. The dead horse pub is a place I will never forget. Oh the good old days.

yup, maida. We frequented the rock and travelers. this was mid to late 90's

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't by chance cross at Rainy River did you? We did this year and had a real winner of a lady there. I'm kind of hard of hearing I couldn't hear her very well, must have thought I was being funny asking her to repeat herself and she had us come in for a little interegation!

This was Pembina

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have never had to many problems crossing at Roseau. Canada lets you in easy just want to know if you are bringing any weapons or liquor. We have been going for 10 plus years and have only been hassled a few time.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have never had to many problems crossing at Roseau. Canada lets you in easy just want to know if you are bringing any weapons or liquor. We have been going for 10 plus years and have only been hassled a few time.

You can bring booze across, right? Just a limited amount?

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
reminds me of a funny story. Buddy and I were coming back into the states after a saskatchewan bear hunt. We got pulled into the garage and everything was fine. We were getting ready to leave and another car pulled up behind us at the station. The border lady says, "oh great! another dumb ass" haha

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
TSA folks seem to loath their own existence (and everyone they speak to) just as much. Strange social study

Deal with the average person, every minute of your day, day in and day out. I'd likely be just as irritable.

Labz4me

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went fishing in Canada a couple weeks ago, got hassled on the Canada side for not having a note from my wife for our 9 yr old son. Never been asked for one before. Felt like telling him to close his eyes while I write one, but didn't feel like I needed the rubber glove search. If they are going to have rules, at least they should make sense.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a problem until a couple of years ago. We were crossing north of Grand Moray, and the lady (not really) behind the glass asked if I had weapons. I said "nope left them in the camper". Ooops she had a bird. What kind of weapons? Handguns with a smile. More big eye mouth open stupid look. "Do you have them in a safe?" "Yup, under the bed, and the bolt heads are inside the frame so you can't get in". Big scowl. "Why do you want to go to Canada?". "For something to do". "Just for something to do?" "Yup." "Where are you going?" "Don't really know." "You mean to tell me you don't have a destination?" "Yup." "You need a destination." "Ok, any suggestions?" Nasty stare. More long nasty stare. "Maybe Thunder Bay". "Maybe?" "Yup." "What are you going to do in Thunder Bay?". "Maybe buy something." "What are you going to buy?" "Maybe ice cream". Big nasty stare, and a wave in.

She is Canadian not American which makes my handguns back in the safe none of her business. Sick liberal. It was fun.

Last edited:

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago my 16 year old cousin and his buddy were sick of their parents shit and decided to run away to Canada. They got in the buddies car and took off for the border. They drove through a couple wheat fields and getting in was a piece of cake. Once they were up there they got caught and had a lot tougher time getting back across the border. I know my uncle had to go up there and jump through a bunch of hoops to bring them back....he was pissed to say the least.

The moral of my story is don't get caught....

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can bring booze across, right? Just a limited amount?

yup you can bring it just have to declare it

- - - Updated - - -

I did get some fish confiscated a few years ago at a checkpoint. We weren't over the limit and fillets were froze one fish per bag with patch of skin left on but Canadian game and fish said unless we wanted to wait for the fish to thaw out so we could prove there weren't more in the bag he was taking the fish and giving us a ticket. $150 !!!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
10441975_10153817466132929_3842919499909456289_n.jpg

Make sure you have one of these for getting in and all will be forgiven!

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would definitely call the crossing in which you plan to cross at, Canadian immigration, not US, to ask what to do. If you believe your record was thrown out, pardoned, or whatever, bring your arrest record for proof, or they will turn your around to do just that. I think sometimes if so many years have past since your arrest, they may let you in. If you have a criminal record you will probably need a criminal waiver to enter Canada. I suggest having a passport or passport card so they know what country you are a citizen of, if not bring a photo ID and birth certificate if your a US born citizen. You can bring as much booze to Canada as you want, you will just be charged tax or duty on anything over your tax free limit which is usually 1 bottle or 1 case per person. If your unhappy with your experience there, talk to a manager and get a comment card. Ive filled out a comment card and its effective....
Do your research not (I heard from a buddy that...) or call them with questions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53