Ice house as camper/gear hauler?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at buying an ice house and wondering what everyone's experiences have been using these for multi purpose units. Can't justify spending that kind of money and only using it for a few winter trips. Would like one with an AC unit and the ramp door to haul an ATV. Can you haul a UTV with cab and tracks in these? What are guys experiences using these on hunting trips and such? How well do these work for hunting, camper and general gear haulers? Is ground clearance an issue? Do they seal up good to keep dust out? Are the Yeti's a good all purpose unit? I definitely like the all aluminum construction. Would think these would hold up better over time. Seems like no one I know has had an ice castle for more then a few years. What exactly is the lifespan on some of these units? Do the interiors deteriorate over time? I suppose it's all a matter of how they are treated and kept up.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the only way your getting an atv with tracks in one of these is if the interior is pretty much completely bare. You can buy yetis unfinished and do yourself. I have no actual experience with these ice houses, but i have thought about getting one for all-seasons myself so will be interesting to hear responses.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to start making them from aluminum in my opinion..they are so heavy, you could be pulling a 29 ft bumper camper and it would pull the same or better.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking airstream on ice

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the IC ramp door is 66x80. Don't quote me on this but a quick search shows a ranger 900 with tracks and cab comes in at 71.5w x 81.5"h. Yetti's ramp may be different though. As far as the ramp doors go everyone I know that has them says there is a draft. Not a deal breaker but it happens. If you get a ramp door get a 30k btu furnace. A buddy has a firebrand toyhauler with an 18k btu and it takes forever to get warmed up. If it is windy it doesn't keep it very warm at all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33