Left Lane = PASSING LANE!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like some of today's truckers are oblivious or selfish... they set the cruise and couldn't care less how it affects others.

What other answer is there for how often you run into two semis going the same speed down the highway side by side for mile after mile, with a long line of cars stewing behind them?

Symptom of overall culture I guess? :;:huh
They are governed vehicles. Meaning they are both at top speed, the one being passed should let off the throttle and let the passing semi by.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought the left lane was for passing as in doing (talking interstate) 75 and passing any one doing less than 75. So why should I get a ticket for driving the speed limit in a passing lane and it takes me 5 or more minutes to fully pass. Isn't the guy that was doing 80 and comes up on me and has to slow down to wait for me to merge back in the right lane in the wrong.

Was the case for me. Was my first speeding ticket I ever had. Was doing speed limit. Went to make a leagal pass and bumped speed up (i think 10 over) so i could get in other lane quicker. As i got in other lane sheriff came over next hill and pulls me over. He asked why i was speeding. I told him some as above and he said. If you had to speed up to get around. Maybe you shouldn't have passed. It wasn't safe.

Yes it is annoying when we all get held up. But maybe we are using the passing lane to do illegal activity. Does it make it right

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the bottom line here is we all advocate drivers being aware of their surroundings and courteous to other motorists. Calling the left lane of the interstate, interstate, or highway 83 a "passing lane" and insisting it is used only for such is a blatant disregard for the reason there are 4 lanes. It's because there's too much traffic on that road at times for it to be a 2 lane road.

I mean, I get it, nobody likes their own forward progress to be impeded by someone who may very well be doing the actual speed limit. That just makes two of you (us) being in the wrong at the same time, just for different reasons.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're in the left lane and someone's behind you, speed up or slow down, and get in the right lane. They say, don't do the crime if you can do the time...well, I got 20 bucks and a clear driving record, so move the hell over.

Another annoyance are the chicken shits that use you as bear bait. They're cruising along at one mph under the speed limit, you blow by em, then they speed up n hang off your rear bumper as if it's their green light.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesnt driving in the left lane help to distribute wear and tear on the roads more evenly? Think how many millions it would save if more people would drive in the left lane more often... Maybe Monday, Wed and Friday should be left lane days, where everyone passes on the right and drives on the left! European style

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my biggest driving peeves besides left lane drivers is the people who don't yield when they are merging from an off-ramp, between bis and Mandan multiple times it gets 3 wide with the guy flying off the off-ramp trying to squeeze in even when he has a yield sign in front of him. The other is the guy who thinks that the lane ends merge left sign going onto the interstate westbound from expressway is optional. I use to brake for these nimrods not anymore I will put them in the wall or the ditch for now on.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesnt driving in the left lane help to distribute wear and tear on the roads more evenly? Think how many millions it would save if more people would drive in the left lane more often... Maybe Monday, Wed and Friday should be left lane days, where everyone passes on the right and drives on the left! European style

If you're driving a semi or something heavy yes. Some places do that with the trucks.

Passenger cars & pickups makes no difference. The roads would last hundreds of years if that was all that drove on them.

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also the ones that pass and there is open road ahead but they get 1 car length ahead of you and pull back into your lane. I hate this with a passion as we have had too many rocks hit the windshield from these idiots. Just waiting for one of these clowns to do this and then dynamite the brakes and you rear-end them.

These guys take first place in the road driver jerk test.

Second place is the guys who try to squeeze in off the on ramp instead when the safe thing to do is to slow down and merge properly.

What are we gonna do when the driverless Uber cars start using our highways up here? Its just a matter of time.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of my biggest driving peeves besides left lane drivers is the people who don't yield when they are merging from an off-ramp, between bis and Mandan multiple times it gets 3 wide with the guy flying off the off-ramp trying to squeeze in even when he has a yield sign in front of him. The other is the guy who thinks that the lane ends merge left sign going onto the interstate westbound from expressway is optional. I use to brake for these nimrods not anymore I will put them in the wall or the ditch for now on.

During heavy traffic times when both lanes are full and the ones on the entrance ramp would have to yield and no one allowed them in would this disrupt the flow of traffic. Maybe we need to start putting traffic signals to allow for on ramps to enter the highway like in larger metro areas. I bet that would piss a lot of people off even more than doing the gentleman thing and allow some room for someone to enter the highway.

Problem is with everybody is we all think we OWN the road. We may pay taxes for them but we all SHARE the road. Solution is easy. Slow down, obey the rules of the road, and for goodness sake be courteous. Not everyone is an expert driver as YOU.(this you isn't directed at you sweeny it's for all of us)

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've driven enough places to know that ND has some of the worst drivers on the planet.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
During heavy traffic times when both lanes are full and the ones on the entrance ramp would have to yield and no one allowed them in would this disrupt the flow of traffic. Maybe we need to start putting traffic signals to allow for on ramps to enter the highway like in larger metro areas. I bet that would piss a lot of people off even more than doing the gentleman thing and allow some room for someone to enter the highway.

Problem is with everybody is we all think we OWN the road. We may pay taxes for them but we all SHARE the road. Solution is easy. Slow down, obey the rules of the road, and for goodness sake be courteous. Not everyone is an expert driver as YOU.(this you isn't directed at you sweeny it's for all of us)

or they could just pull there head out of there ass and realize that when a sign says lane ends that they might not be able to pass 6 cars and still get into the appropriate lane before they run out of road. Or if there is a yield sign you need to yield to the traffic already flowing, and wait for someone to let you in or an opening in traffic. most of the time if people will get over when a lane is available but if it's already two wide the road isn't going to allow you to go three wide just because you want to merge at 60mph .

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^100 miles round trip every time I go fishing...unless I just run up to Darling...then it's 50.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m with MSA on this. Most of the time I drive 6 to 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Maybe a little faster if traffic is light. BD216521-3B9F-4374-BE78-B367EE351693.jpg Not because I like breaking the law but because I can afford to pay a $20 fine. I still have all my points on my license so it’s been a long time since I gotten picked up. If you are cruising in the left lane, get the titty sprinkle over. As far as merging traffic coming from an on ramp, maybe you people driving the highway should be watching far enough ahead that you can adjust your speed before you get to that ramp and merge to the left to make room for the guy coming down the ramp, so he can merge without slowing down. As far as your idea Lycan, if it’s your day to wear out the left lane and I’m coming up behind you maybe you should move to the right lane and wear that one out for awhile until I pass you. ;:;rofl

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ and apparently using electronic devices while driving can be added to the list of violations :;:stirthepot

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife took that picture, as she was complaining I was driving to fast. ;:;banghead Told her to sit back and enjoy the ride...........................or get out. ::boxing::

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just driving around Bismarck and on Interstate highways i am totally floored by the people using their cell phones. Not talking but texting or screwing around with them. Whether we pass them or they pass us or meeting them on the streets in town it is really unreal how many people don't think that texting while driving is illegal.
Had a girl behind us going down Washington last week and she was texting away for about 10-12 blocks. We got to a red light and she kept texting and there was an officer at the light facing us. She kept doing it and he was watching her and she finally looked up and you should have seen the look on her face. Like a kid that got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. When the light turned he hit the lights and stopped her. We got a good laugh out of it. Should be a $500.00 fine or more. Maybe they would stop doing it then.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84