Left Lane = PASSING LANE!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice if ND HP would get out of the left lane too. They'll set their cruise @ 3-5MPH UNDER the posted limit, run in the left lane and stack up cars for miles because you'll get someone that just is scared to pass them on the right. I've seen this most often on I-94 within say 30-40 Mi either side of Jamestown.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the passee could certainly slow the hell down for 15 seconds

which is why the passee often gets a sign of displeasure from me when I finally get to pass

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesnt driving in the left lane help to distribute wear and tear on the roads more evenly? Think how many millions it would save if more people would drive in the left lane more often... Maybe Monday, Wed and Friday should be left lane days, where everyone passes on the right and drives on the left! European style

I drive in the left lane with my Ram 2500 because it is a smoother ride and the right lane can shake your fillings out sometimes. If I am driving in the left lane and someone feels the need to pass me they can change lanes just as easy as I can.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice if ND HP would get out of the left lane too. They'll set their cruise @ 3-5MPH UNDER the posted limit, run in the left lane and stack up cars for miles because you'll get someone that just is scared to pass them on the right. I've seen this most often on I-94 within say 30-40 Mi either side of Jamestown.

Now I have to share my story. From Steele to Jamestown on a busy holiday weekend, a NDHP was camped out in the left lane going 80 mph. Around 20 cars were stacked up behind him, all doing the accordion dance. I was consistently in position 1 or 2 directly behind him. After FORTY MILES I said to my wife, "screw it, I might be taking one for the team here" and tapped the cruise up to 82 and closed in on him. As I neared he flipped his lights on for 2 seconds until I backed off! I decided to call HP HQ at this point and as you can imagine a condescending Columbo of sorts started interrogating me about speeding, admitting to him on the phone I was speeding, and telling me there are no laws in ND about cruising in the left lane. He also claimed his trooper may not be going 5 over himself, as "civilian cars speedometers can commonly be off by up to 5 mph or more". After a 10 minute 'circular conversation' I hung up on Columbo. Soon after we approached Jamestown where the trooper exited. Shortly after that the accordion broke apart. IT. WAS. BRUTAL. and not to mention, a VERY unsafe move by the speeding trooper.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - gutsy move Cotton

80 is plenty fast for me. I have a "5 MPH over the limit" rule that has kept me from ever getting a speeding ticket.

In my estimation the guy did you a favor vs. writing you up... not? :)

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - gutsy move Cotton

80 is plenty fast for me. I have a "5 MPH over the limit" rule that has kept me from ever getting a speeding ticket.

In my estimation the guy did you a favor vs. writing you up... not? :)

You must be related to Columbo....

What Mr. Left Lane did was very unsafe, 81 or 82 on interstate is not-so unsafe. Traffic flow is important.

Oh, and according to Columbo, his trooper wouldn't speed, so my speedometer was off, trooper was doing 75, and I was creeping up on him at 3 under your 5 mph over-the-limit rule :;:thumbsup.

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The games HP's sometimes play does indeed create unsafe driving conditions. In my college days a few of us were headed back to GF from long day of ice fishing on Devils lake. I was the DD that day so was completely sober. I was going the speed limit in the right lane and got passed by a HP. I looked at him as he passed. Didn’t even give him the stink eye. He then fully passes me gets in the right lane and immediately slows down to see what my reaction would be (i.e. pass him or slow down). I mean a pickup full of college kids MUST mean that we were doing something illegal right? So I get in the left lane and pass him and then the stink eye was given. Pulled back in the right lane and he never did pull us over. Mind you this is winter and the roads weren’t nasty but were not completely snow/ice free either. I never did call that in but should have. Pissed me right off that they pull crap like that, especially in winter. I have heard similar instances of HP’s like my story and SDMFs. BS tactics that need to be reported.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another game that LEO's like to play is the not dimming their lights on a 2 lane and then when you flash your lights they pull you over and give you a warning for the very thing they were doing. Back in my younger days we had a HP in Washburn that would sit along the road with his lights off and turn them on as you approached and if you didn't dim your lights immediately he would pull you over.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another game that LEO's like to play is the not dimming their lights on a 2 lane and then when you flash your lights they pull you over and give you a warning for the very thing they were doing. Back in my younger days we had a HP in Washburn that would sit along the road with his lights off and turn them on as you approached and if you didn't dim your lights immediately he would pull you over.

ole double dick

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Couple weeks ago, while traveling on HWY 22 south of Manning heading towards Dickinson at around 10:00 am, cruise set at 68 mph. Met Dunn County Sheriff vehicle heading north. Saw he pull off to shoulder...didn't think nothing of it, vehicles were coming up from behind me. Then I saw the bubbles in the mirror and vehicles were moving over to shoulder. I thought...must have something going on ahead of me, so I slowed up and moved over. NOPE....he was pulling me over for speeding and also accused me for not wearing a seatbelt. I was like WHAAAAT? Told him that he was wrong and that I most certainly did have my seatbelt on. So he said "but you were speeding", so I said, well "yes technically".

Next week or two I was heading back north on HWY 22 near same place where I got pulled over....had cruise set at 66 mph. Got to one of these 3 lane passing areas, saw vehicle approaching form behind rather rapidly, sign says slower traffic move to right lane, which I did. Vehicle passes me clearly doing 70+ mph. What the heck....Dunn County Sheriff's Office vehicle with interior light bars. I've been passed several time in the passed by their vehicles exceeding 65 mph, but by God, pull me over in work truck doing 68 mph. I personally think this young deputy was on a fishing expedition trying to see if people bite and admit to not wearing seatbelt, so the 3 mph over limit was his PC.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow - what a dink move.

I have noticed everyone north of Dickville and Killdeer on 22 goes really really close to the limit... so I paid heed to that data and abandoned my "5MPH over is safe" rule in that neck of the woods.

On the positive side... there's no oil field traffic speeding dangerously.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Paddledog , I have you beat, I got stopped by the Old HP out of Elgin a few years ago, opening morning of Pheasant season 66 in a 65 .

I wanted to read him the riot act but decided it was just better to shut up in case I stopped in Elgin for a cool one when I was done

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
how you gonna bust folks for drug possession and dui if you only stop for egregious violations? :;:huh#$%^&>

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Younger HP did that to me once and I chewed his backside something fierce. Back to his car, tail tucked, no ticket.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a city cop pull me over one time for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Which I did. Said "I dont think you came to a stop back there" I laughed and said I'm positive I did. His look was priceless then let me go. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84