Left Lane = PASSING LANE!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or maybe the on ramp guy who is merging could plan enough ahead to find a place to merge as to not impede already established traffic

- - - Updated - - -

If my cruise is set at 78 for the last hundred miles and someone is passing me at 80 when you are trying to get on to the interstate I guess it does make sense for me to slow down to 60 and let you on. ;:;banghead

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Or maybe the on ramp guy who is merging could plan enough ahead to find a place to merge as to not impede already established traffic

- - - Updated - - -

If my cruise is set at 78 for the last hundred miles and someone is passing me at 80 when you are trying to get on to the interstate I guess it does make sense for me to slow down to 60 and let you on. ;:;banghead

Sounds like everyone should just get off the road or out of your way

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I avoid interstate always at all costs will go a few miles out of my way for this very reason, my gripe is the asshats that abousulutly refuse to dim their lights, even after two flashes, and the ones with the super bright blue one should go straight to prison.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^ this is when I turn on my super brite LED light bars and blind the chit outa them. Then they usually dim theirs and I dim mine and life goes on

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't it be awesome if Myth busters did a show proving that if you pull into a turning lane without slowing down or stopping first your car won't flip over and explode.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND has no laws against this. Common courtesy only here in ND LEO can not pull you over for this. A lot of states have laws that apply to left lane driving.
yes there is a law against this in ND. it's never been enforced. Someone posted the century code for it awhile back on here I believe. Might have been on another forum but I think it was here.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I avoid interstate always at all costs will go a few miles out of my way for this very reason, my gripe is the asshats that abousulutly refuse to dim their lights, even after two flashes, and the ones with the super bright blue one should go straight to prison.

I had to take a Defensive driving course in ND. The instructor said on a divided HWY, you're not supposed to dim your lights for oncoming traffic. The guy was a real azzhole btw

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the bottom line here is we all advocate drivers being aware of their surroundings and courteous to other motorists. Calling the left lane of the interstate, interstate, or highway 83 a "passing lane" and insisting it is used only for such is a blatant disregard for the reason there are 4 lanes. It's because there's too much traffic on that road at times for it to be a 2 lane road.

I mean, I get it, nobody likes their own forward progress to be impeded by someone who may very well be doing the actual speed limit. That just makes two of you (us) being in the wrong at the same time, just for different reasons.
Liberals

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for them. ND law makers will not increase fines here because they have the mentally that people can't afford steeper fines.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only give them another reason to pull you over to check of other violations. The only reason there is a hazard. Is because people who cause the hazard are the ones who are exceeding the speed limit in the passing lane. Their are allowing more people to speed which in their words speeding is one of the leading contributors to fatal and injury crashes and property damage crashes.

Bottom line people need to drive the speed limit and go around the ones who are below the speed limit.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is this speed limit thing you are talking about? Ha ha, I always tell my wife "You can't get nowhere going slow"...……....................….and then I get the glare. :(

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom line people need to drive the speed limit and go around the ones who are below the speed limit.

Then let’s get a speed limit that’s an accurate reflection of the safety and handling of modern vehicles. The Interstate highway system was built to be safe @ 75MPH for cars built in the 1960’s. There is no reason in the world that I couldn’t hop on I94 today with clear weather and dry roads and run 110+MPH safely. Used to do it in MT during the “Safe and Prudent” era and I didn’t die or injure anyone else. Passed several MTHP’s @ 105-110 and just got a wave. Did that 20+yrs ago w/vehicles built in the late 80's early 90's. Vehicles are much safer, and handle significantly better now.

Active serious enforcement @ construction zone and all other slow-down areas like coming into Bismarck or Fargo where you're down to 55-60MPH (Interstate). End all of that NASCAR/playing chicken BS that happens where cones pinch 2 lanes down to 1.

Last edited:

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
my pet peeve is the slow (5-10 minute) 18 wheeler pass of another 18 wheeler that is BS

The problem with alot of these fleet trucks is that they are governed to a certain speed to increase fuel economy. I get pissed at them from time to time but understand that they can't hammer down and pass the next guy that deals with the same damn thing

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
left lane

some years ago Kansas had people driving in the left lane and the right lane for passing, they have since redone I-70 and now will write tickets for people that stay in the left lane too long.

I do not drive enough divided highways to have much input but between Minot and Portal it can be dangerous as hell with the canadians not caring if they have to pay a small fine for speeding here, it does not go on their license.

Pet Peeves.

I have been passed on the shoulder, run off the road 3 times in a 2 week period with them passing 2 of which they were passing on blind curves and they cut back in when a car comes around the curve, one of them was a truck and I was even with his 5th wheel when he cut back over, the 3rd one passed a bunch of people while reading a map and stayed in the left lane on a 2 lane road. He did not see the oncoming car and everyone hit the ditch. He did finally realize it when I was getting his tag number for the cops. They pulled him over after I chased him almost 20 miles and talked to me first and told me that since they didn't catch him they couldn't do much. My reply was then go through the car and take every map, newspaper, scrap of paper and even Kleenex and make him put them in the trunk and tell them how lucky he was he didn't kill someone.

Coming home from Minot at night the canadians are either hauling ass to get to the Northgate border crossing before it closes at 10 pm or tailgate you so close you cant see because of their headlights so they don't hit an animal. Some wont pass even when you slow down to 20 then when they pass they run 50 mph even though they were following me at 68-70 mph.

Note: the canadian problem has been better with their dollar being down around 70 cents.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with alot of these fleet trucks is that they are governed to a certain speed to increase fuel economy. I get pissed at them from time to time but understand that they can't hammer down and pass the next guy that deals with the same damn thing

the passee could certainly slow the hell down for 15 seconds

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88