Planning a May ice fishing trip...who's in?

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously tho, I have a question for the hardcore ice guys. What's the latest you have been fishing thru the ice? I see I could most likely easily hitup some stuff this weekend and probably the next.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leech Lake for perch the 13th of May. In the morning, we drove the ATV's over cracks in the ice that in the afternoon were 16-24 inches wide. We actually fished through some of these chasms in the ice and caught fish. To get off the ice we had to use the plastic rod cases to construct wheel bridges that fit the wheels of the ATV's. Looking back on it, I have to put that trip as the dumbest thing I've ever done on ice.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
May 6th. Devils lake. It hit 70 in town that day. I used the flip over to avoid a sunburn. You could have walked on for another 5 days after that.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is only my 4th season ice fishing but I've never been out on the ice past March 20th...so I've already broken that this year! Unless the temps jump into the 60s and 70s...with wind...we'll have fishable ice into May for sure.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going the weekend after the 15th. I remember throwing in the dock in May though and motoring out to the ice --- then some crazy that was with us would dive in and swim back and pop him self up on the ice just like the side of a pool. Sit and have a beer and then dive in again. I couldnt do it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
May 5th or 6th. Same year as Ahab I am guessing. And there were a couple days left if you wanted them. But, I put the duck boat in the next day. I actually drove my truck on that year like April 25th. The ice went fast after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Same fall I had the boat on the same lake late November or early December I think. Need to look at the picture I took to be sure

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the shore is accessible, it should be ok yet I'd think. I'm planning on going on Saturday. I went last Saturday on a smaller lake. Ice was about 16 inches. Some of the shore line u could stomp ur foot through. Be careful if u go, n go with a buddy if u can.

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
You say "probably" next weekend. I would say "probably" into May

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saturday, May 4, 2013 on Devils Lake. I know there were still people out on the ice the following week. We didn't even need to use boards to cross water to get to the ice.

Spring Fest was the same day in Grand Forks and people were in shorts and t-shirts.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Judging by ice thickness/quality up on Winnipeg this past weekend, you could plan a trip back up there for opener beginning of May pretty easily. Granted a lot can change between then and now, but the ice was solid and thick, not much snow on it anywhere to melt and honeycomb things, probably be ice fishing memorial day up there if shorelines stay somewhat in tact.
I haven't put my ice fishing shit away yet, however I may roll the tarp off the boat this weekend and sit in it for a while in the garage.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
May 1 for me. about 3-4 years ago. I would imagine breaking that this year shouldn't be a problem.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Judging by ice thickness/quality up on Winnipeg this past weekend, you could plan a trip back up there for opener beginning of May pretty easily. Granted a lot can change between then and now, but the ice was solid and thick, not much snow on it anywhere to melt and honeycomb things, probably be ice fishing memorial day up there if shorelines stay somewhat in tact.
I haven't put my ice fishing shit away yet, however I may roll the tarp off the boat this weekend and sit in it for a while in the garage.

drinking beer in my boat in the garage is one of my favorite springtime activities while waiting for the ice to come off.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
April 25, 2013 according to my records. Almost sure I was out there in May one year but can't find it. I fished on Sakakawea today. There is ALOT of snow there still and the ice still took all of my auger to get through. The ice is going to be there several weeks, however, the lake rose a couple feet and that caused some slush along the shores which had froze but if it rises more and runoff begins, the edges are going to pull away quickly IMO.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch out the ice is goofy this year and is taking little time to rot out now that the heat is showing up. With all those 60's in the forecast once she starts to go it will probably happen in warp speed compared to a normal year and you can almost bank on it catching someone off guard. Have to believe those shallow water dark bottom areas are going to turn into some truck eaters here soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33