Deer tag system changes

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just like every year, there are some happy guys and some not so happy guys when the draw results come out. What would everybody like to see done differently? Bigger picture, not just speeding up the lottery process. Maybe you like the system and are 100% fine with it. Curious to hear what you guys think about it...

I grew up hunting in MN where it is 1 buck tag no matter the weapon or season. I have evolved into bowhunting 100% of the time the last 4 years, haven't even shot a rifle in those 4 years. But I apply for ND rifle and muzzleloader tags. Have never drawn either tag since moving out here 5 years ago. Sometimes it gets to me a little bit, but most of the time I go in with low expectations so no room for disapointment that way. I really don't have a dog in the fight, but its an interesting and different concept than I grew up with.

I like the 1 tag system in MN. You can buy your tag(s) OTC every year, and hunt multiple seasons with multiple weapons if you want. But you are restricted to 1 buck tag. I like the idea of being able to hunt every year with a rifle or muzzleloader if one chooses. Once you shoot your buck, you are done. I feel this allows more flexability for a hunter if they have something else going on that won't allow them to hunt a particular season.

Changes I would make: Go to a 2 tag system. Keep archery OTC, but lottery for muzzy and rifle, can't have both a rifle and muzzy tag, have to pick 1. Double the amount of muzzy tags available. Move the rifle season as a whole back 1 week (Halloween weekend).
And this might be the most far fetched, but I would love to see the amount of game wardens doubled and stiffer fines/penalties for poachers and people breaking game laws.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
edxxw.jpg

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;popcorn

I do agree with the "more severe penalties" for poachers logic.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if the game and fish just came up with 60,000 more deer everybody would be happy.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only one change needed.

1. If you only apply for Muzzy buck and Badlands Muley buck and then bitch about not getting drawn, you automatically loose all your preference points.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lol John Wayne on the memes. So everybody wants to complain about not drawing a tag but they don't want to talk about changes to the system so they can hunt more often? Sounds just like my wife when she comes home complaining about a coworker or part of her job. I listen, she talks until I ask her what she did about it. That usually ends the conversation.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just like every year, there are some happy guys and some not so happy guys when the draw results come out. What would everybody like to see done differently? Bigger picture, not just speeding up the lottery process. Maybe you like the system and are 100% fine with it. Curious to hear what you guys think about it...

I grew up hunting in MN where it is 1 buck tag no matter the weapon or season. I have evolved into bowhunting 100% of the time the last 4 years, haven't even shot a rifle in those 4 years. But I apply for ND rifle and muzzleloader tags. Have never drawn either tag since moving out here 5 years ago. Sometimes it gets to me a little bit, but most of the time I go in with low expectations so no room for disapointment that way. I really don't have a dog in the fight, but its an interesting and different concept than I grew up with.

I like the 1 tag system in MN. You can buy your tag(s) OTC every year, and hunt multiple seasons with multiple weapons if you want. But you are restricted to 1 buck tag. I like the idea of being able to hunt every year with a rifle or muzzleloader if one chooses. Once you shoot your buck, you are done. I feel this allows more flexability for a hunter if they have something else going on that won't allow them to hunt a particular season.

Changes I would make: Go to a 2 tag system. Keep archery OTC, but lottery for muzzy and rifle, can't have both a rifle and muzzy tag, have to pick 1. Double the amount of muzzy tags available. Move the rifle season as a whole back 1 week (Halloween weekend).
And this might be the most far fetched, but I would love to see the amount of game wardens doubled and stiffer fines/penalties for poachers and people breaking game laws.

First comparing MN to ND is dumb. The terrain, and deer numbers alone are wildly different. Pick a unit that you can draw every year or two if you need a rifle tag. IMO, with a ND tag in ones pocket, the chance at shooting a good mature buck are 10 times better than OTC MN.

As for the tards that think bowhunting is easy and you shoot a buck every year.... please, by all means give it a whirl and see how that goes. Its a lot of god damn work.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the system is fine. I would prefer a management style geared towards more restrictive harvest in the name of better quality bucks and I think badlands your seen that. I know hunting isn't about horns, and many people wil disagree with me. I also think the system of online archery and lottery for rifle and muzzy is fine. it does not ruffle my feathers one bit that someone has 3 tags and I have 0.

I however do not understand how it takes sooooooooooo long to run a draw when Wyoming, SD can do it significantly quicker.

I also do not think ND should do anything our liberal neighbors to the east do so lets not compare ourselves to them.....:;:thumbsup

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think archery should always be over the counter, and if it ever went to a single tag per person it should not include the archery side of it.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First comparing MN to ND is dumb. The terrain, and deer numbers alone are wildly different. Pick a unit that you can draw every year or two if you need a rifle tag. IMO, with a ND tag in ones pocket, the chance at shooting a good mature buck are 10 times better than OTC MN.

As for the tards that think bowhunting is easy and you shoot a buck every year.... please, by all means give it a whirl and see how that goes. Its a lot of god damn work.

Wasn't really comparing the 2 states, just giving an example. They are very different states and I would imagine the success rate of rifle and muzzy hunters in ND is far greater than in MN. Perhaps then the current lottery system is best for ND and how it lays out.

I see and hear far more bitching and complaining than I do ideas on changes. Jeepers cats! I forgot this is the internet! D'OH!

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to see a 1 tag system with a lottery. Everybody applies in the lottery. If you draw a tag hunt with your weapon of choice or all 3 if it pleases you during their respective season.

If a system like this was to actually come into effect i wouldn't mind seeing the rifle season shortened a little bit.

Or have a 1 tag system for rifle and muzzy and another lottery for a set amount of statewide lottery tags every year

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol John Wayne on the memes. So everybody wants to complain about not drawing a tag but they don't want to talk about changes to the system so they can hunt more often? Sounds just like my wife when she comes home complaining about a coworker or part of her job. I listen, she talks until I ask her what she did about it. That usually ends the conversation.

There is no system of issuing tags that would make a significant difference in how often a person gets to hunt - especially for species and units that are in high demand. There will always be more people wanting tags than tags available. If you have 200 tags and 1000 applicants you will get a license about every 5 years. Sometimes a little sooner sometimes it takes a little longer but there's no way to change that. The only thing that will change that is better habitat and better deer numbers or a reduction in the number of people applying.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll learn, young Skywalker. We don't actually want things FIXED. Because then we'd have to rely solely on Plansman vs. GST arguments as entertainment, and LORD KNOWS that a one-way ticket to alcohol poisoning.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84