Dog Training Suggestions - German Shorthair Pointer

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to get my GSP trained and am looking for suggestions on a trainer. I am in Bismarck but will take her into the surrounding States if I find a great trainer. Thanks in advance for any information.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have some time, you can do it yourself. The local NAVHDA chapter in Bismarck is active and hosts tests every year. I believe they have regular training groups during the summer. You should check them out. Just a suggestion -- I know training isn't for everyone. But it's damn satisfying if you do go through it. Makes an unbreakable bond between owner and pooch, too.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
imo the more time you spend training -- the more she do what you want. with you tube now -- who needs a trainer. I think you would be surprised ---- if you get the right breeder --- these dogs come out of the box - ready to rock and roll.

Ruger

Founding Member
Founding Member
100X Retrievers in Venturia ND, down by Ashley. Both Mike and Shawnee have years experience. They not only want to train your dog but the owner also. You can train with them so you know what to do. I know of a lot of dog owners that have used them. You can reach them at 701.684.6397 or check out there website, simply type in 100xretreivers. I wouldn't go anywhere else

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
they look at a person and say really your gonna teach me 2 + 2. Out of the box -- honor, no flagging, no movement locked and ready to rock point, quartering, no blow by on second bird to get dead first, no grabs, trained in the house within 4 hours and the list goes on. When you buy nothing but the best - you get the best. She will look at you and nod -- dad the best is to go west!!!!!!! Good luck

The rabbit chasing, deer chasing and pinning, ranging, jumping up on kids, chewing everything -- those are going to be the training items imo.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
they look at a person and say really your gonna teach me 2 + 2. Out of the box -- honor, no flagging, no movement locked and ready to rock point, quartering, no blow by on second bird to get dead first, no grabs, trained in the house within 4 hours and the list goes on. When you buy nothing but the best - you get the best. She will look at you and nod -- dad the best is to go west!!!!!!! Good luck

The rabbit chasing, deer chasing and pinning, ranging, jumping up on kids, chewing everything -- those are going to be the training items imo.

I read this a couple times, and still do not understand what you are saying... sorry!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have used 100 X Retrievers in Venturia as well. Mike gets the owner involved in the process. They sit down with the owners and discuss the training process and agree on goals. I tried to drive down once a week (90 minutes from Bismarck) to be involved in the training process for a few hours. I saw progress each and every week. We are very pleased with their service and will continue to work with them. We know many other satisfied clients as well and would highly recommend checking them out.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have all had dogs both good and bad. If you want a good hunting dog it has to be obedience. That is the number one rule. No one can teach a dog to hunt. He either has it or he doesnt. Take the dog for a walk every morning and evening. Talk to it tell it what you want him to do. When im walking my dogs and say hunt'em up. Thats the cue to release them to run around and go to the bathroom. Play fetch with it and when walking tell it to fetch it up when you see something like a plastic bottle. Your dog will remember all of what I have said in a few days.

You dont need a trainer. Just talked to it tell it what you want it to do. Over the couse of a week or to you will see it improve everyday.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd also recommend 100x retrievers especially if you already live in Bismarck. Mike and Shawnee are great and your dog will be in awesome hands.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read this a couple times, and still do not understand what you are saying... sorry!

What i was trying to say -- is that depending on the breeder and the dog you get --- you would be surprised that a lot of the hunting traits are already bred into the dog. For example -- i never taught either one of my shorthairs to honor another pointer. Both of them honored when a dog was already on point - automatically. My brothers dog did not - (its pedigree was inferior). Whoa command - it seemed like 20 minutes of training and it was built into her. IMO the pedigree comes first.

I guess if the trainer works with you and the dog it makes sense. Or gives you the lesson plan - how to take it from point a to b?

This is in general and not pointed at you coyote ---- Biggest mistake in my opinion is not having time to work with or be with the dog. Socialization with people is the most important.

I have to admit - I went all out with my first one, pigeons, game farm, hours and hours of fun imo but i suppose it was training, whistle training, training dummies -- and the biggest was many days of hunting. I dont have that luxury anymore and my second got short changed but her genes made up for it. Honest my second one i couldnt ask for more obedience wise -- I can look at her and she knows what i want.

- - - Updated - - -

We have all had dogs both good and bad. If you want a good hunting dog it has to be obedience. That is the number one rule. No one can teach a dog to hunt. He either has it or he doesnt. Take the dog for a walk every morning and evening. Talk to it tell it what you want him to do. When im walking my dogs and say hunt'em up. Thats the cue to release them to run around and go to the bathroom. Play fetch with it and when walking tell it to fetch it up when you see something like a plastic bottle. Your dog will remember all of what I have said in a few days.

You dont need a trainer. Just talked to it tell it what you want it to do. Over the couse of a week or to you will see it improve everyday.

Hunt em up is a release command in the field ----- that one was bred into the dog -- i think every hunting dog has that one bred in.

Go on the grass is the squat immediately on the spot i point too and go potty regardless if dog has to or not. ---bred into but 2 minutes to learn i dont care if you dont have to go - your going.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunt em up is a release command in the field ----- that one was bred into the dog -- i think every hunting dog has that one bred in.

Do you really believe a command is bred into them??? The word fetch is not bred into a dog either. It is what most people say,but not bred into them.

I had a German Shorthair that came from Denmark and the owner spoke Danish. When I got him I never spoke Danish and all commands were in a foreign languageto him. Just wondering how did that dog know what I was saying.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What i was trying to say -- is that depending on the breeder and the dog you get --- you would be surprised that a lot of the hunting traits are already bred into the dog. For example -- i never taught either one of my shorthairs to honor another pointer. Both of them honored when a dog was already on point - automatically. My brothers dog did not - (its pedigree was inferior). Whoa command - it seemed like 20 minutes of training and it was built into her. IMO the pedigree comes first.

I guess if the trainer works with you and the dog it makes sense. Or gives you the lesson plan - how to take it from point a to b?

This is in general and not pointed at you coyote ---- Biggest mistake in my opinion is not having time to work with or be with the dog. Socialization with people is the most important.

I have to admit - I went all out with my first one, pigeons, game farm, hours and hours of fun imo but i suppose it was training, whistle training, training dummies -- and the biggest was many days of hunting. I dont have that luxury anymore and my second got short changed but her genes made up for it. Honest my second one i couldnt ask for more obedience wise -- I can look at her and she knows what i want.

- - - Updated - - -

Go on the grass is the squat immediately on the spot i point too and go potty regardless if dog has to or not. ---bred into but 2 minutes to learn i dont care if you dont have to go - your going.

My previous GSP was a great hunter. I sent off her off to get trained and she turned out to be a great hunter. I do spend time working with my dog, but not as much as I would like to or is required to have a really great hunting dog. I have no problem paying someone to help finish training them. A well trained dog is a pleasure to hunt behind and it makes me want to go chase pheasants.

My previous GSP was great, but this pup seems to be so far advanced from my other dog. It has not taken a lot of time to get her trained as far as "come", "whoa", "fetch", etc. Her nose is very good as well. I have high hopes for this pup, but I don't have the time to do it right on my own. I appreciate the advice from everyone!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yote -- i congrat you on your new dog and i am sure she will do good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84