Dog stays beside me

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have a new chocolate lab hunting partner. She is a little over 3 months old and absolutely crushing it! Water retrieving, sit, stay, come, heel, today I introduced her to gun fire and she did great! The biggest thing is she is ALWAYS at my side. I can’t get her out in front of me. Any ideas on how to correct this?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 months they still want to be at your side, most dogs won't stray too far until after 6 months and really won't stretch their luck until closer to 9 mo... from my experience anyway

JakeV

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. She is still very young and more than likely is still figuring out the everything is! Heck my lab didn't even start really retrieving until he was 6-8 months old! So if you already have her broken to gunfire and retrieving you are certainly on the right path! Just keep working on the basics with her and eventually she will figure out where the action is going to happen.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure where you have been taking her, but for a younger pup, start out by taking her into grassy areas that are not too tall or thick. She will want to be able to see you and also not have to work hard to get around. If the walking is tough she will be right there by you. Also if you can find an area that has short vegetation with the bonus of critters to smell (birds, rabbits, anything to stimulate her nose) she might forget about you to go in search of those smells. However, I would not be worried at all if I were you and she is staying close for the time being. She will eventually figure out to get out in front. Good luck with the pup!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
at 3 months i wouldnt worry about it, my guess is by the time she is 8 months old you will be trying to keep her closer

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One day the light bulb will turn on. I was a poor trainer but when my lab figured out the pheasent thing she absolutly crushed them from then on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were my pooch, I'd refrain from trying to send her out away from you if you like a dog to work close. I encouraged my dog to stay close with praise and ear scratches when we were first learning to work together and now he works within 25 yards or so at all times. Wanting to be close to you will also help if you want to take poochie out in the duck or goose blind. Sounds like you have a winning recipe. I wouldn't fix it if I were you. Enjoy!!!

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the assurance! I am very pleased with how she is coming along. No doubt she is going to be a slayer out in the field. I kinda figured it will come w more age and experience. I can’t wait to get her on some roosters and see her excitement!

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
So I have a new chocolate lab hunting partner. She is a little over 3 months old and absolutely crushing it! Water retrieving, sit, stay, come, heel, today I introduced her to gun fire and she did great! The biggest thing is she is ALWAYS at my side. I can’t get her out in front of me. Any ideas on how to correct this?
3 months? Let her grow up a bit!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You probably got a bad one. I’ll take her off your hands. No charge, just consider it a favor from a friend.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My chocolate did the exact same thing and never broke the habit no matter what I did. He is going to be 6 in October, loves to go out in the field and has the energy of a puppy but as soon as I come to cattails or taller grass he is right behind me.

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 8 months old my lab/wirehair worked great out in front of me in really thick tall grass.... but when she got tired she got smart and went behind me and followed the path i put into the tall grass so she didn't have to keep jumping in the air. Thats a habit i'm still working on.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you happen to be carrying around blue num nums when you are out and about with your pup? Might be one reason she is sticking close.:cool:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing worse than a dog running ahead of u flushing pheasants out of range

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 8 months old my lab/wirehair worked great out in front of me in really thick tall grass.... but when she got tired she got smart and went behind me and followed the path i put into the tall grass so she didn't have to keep jumping in the air. Thats a habit i'm still working on.

My English Cocker still does this and he's 4. When he starts following me, I take the opportunity to sit down, give him some water, a good going over for burrs, cuts, and other injuries, and just enjoy being out with him. He tells me when he's ready to get back after it by heading off with his nose to the ground looking for birds. I rarely sit for more than 5 or so minutes before WE are off again. I found when I focus on being with my dog in the outdoors, the joy of the hunt, and less on getting the birds, I have a much more satisfying experience.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
If it were my pooch, I'd refrain from trying to send her out away from you if you like a dog to work close. I encouraged my dog to stay close with praise and ear scratches when we were first learning to work together and now he works within 25 yards or so at all times. Wanting to be close to you will also help if you want to take poochie out in the duck or goose blind. Sounds like you have a winning recipe. I wouldn't fix it if I were you. Enjoy!!!

Yes! You have a real advantage in having a naturally close working 25 yard windshield wiper pattern flushing dog breed that needs little, almost no training to stay within shotgun range! Real buddy dogs who absolutely love to hunt, sniff out birds, keep track of where you are, naturally retrieve birds when you drop them, and most importantly, not flush pheasants at 150 yards, my pet peeve.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

How high can you jump now?

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing I ever did is get my dog familiar with my father as we hunted together a lot. When we hunted my young pup would run back and forth between us and as he got a little older he would even bring the bird back to who ever was closer which usually ended up being the person who shot it. But he did stay close that first year. Also hunting them with other dogs helps a lot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82