Zero turn mowers

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the process of buying a 15 acre property. Any way will have a few acres to mow and don't think the old push mower is gunna cut it anymore. Looking at going used but open to options on what everyone likes or dislikes. Not really sure yet what i want for a budget don't want to spend a ton but also don't want a POS. Also if anyone has any used ones they are thinking of selling I'm all ears. thanks

Loebs lake cabin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a toro timecutter 50" last summer, cut about 3 acres between two properties and haven't had any issues. Really fast, cuts good and is great around trees. I had some 4' sweet clover in the yard that I actually cut with that mower, really impressive imo...I have the kawasaki motor...Purchased it from Ace Hardware in Bis...locally owned and they do all the serice! Josh

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up on the Kawasaki motors. My work sells cub cadet and the Kawasaki is a lot better than the kohler

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a Hustler X-One i. I've had it 2 years. Love it. The thing is a beast, has a kawasaki motor and mows super fast. I have accidentally mowed over some rocks larger than softballs and it spits them out the chute no issues. Has always scared me a bit when i've done it but never had any problems. I'd definitely look into them. Reasonable price tag as well

http://www.hustlerturf.com

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought an Hustler X-1 also, 60in 28 hp Vanguard. It's a beast and fast. Didn't cut my time in half like most people will tell you but it did shave 2hr off of five. If you plan on living there a long time it worth the extra money up front on a comercial mower. They are built to last. I should never need to replace it.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke down and purchased a new JD 655 zero-turn with the high-capacity mowing deck. Words can not explain how impressed I am with this machine. They don't give them away, spent $5800 from RDO in Bismarck. They do have some pretty good finance options. They were running a 0% for 48months with $0.00 down when I bought mine. In my opinion it is worth every penny. I have about 10AC that I mow between 2 places. I don't even mow as fast as the mower will eat the grass because the lawn isn't smooth enough in some places. It is unreal mowing as full speed with that mower though. I have had it since the beginning of the year, and dinged the blades up a little and it still cuts it at that speed. Very impressed.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your lot is level to mild rolling you will be fine but zeros do not like hill side mowing unless you get one with a front mount mower and rear casters, mid mount mower with front casters and hills are not a good combo, I have both and it sucks.

willy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grasshopper 60" 727 with the mower in the front . Works great to mow under trees and other things. One of the nicest feature is it has a power fold deck makes it easy to clean out and sharpen blades

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no problems using a Kodiak Dixon on my rather steep dike. You have to go straight up/down on really steep sections but in general I don't understand the view that ztr's can't handle slopes.

#guywhomowsafterrumandgingerale

- - - Updated - - -

I wish my front deck folded up. Crazy good feature!!

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up on the Kawasaki motors. My work sells cub cadet and the Kawasaki is a lot better than the kohler

I got a cub cadet ZRT with a Kohler engine. If you get one of these, you will get really good at changing head gaskets as they go out every 2 years.....

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a cub cadet ZRT with a Kohler engine. If you get one of these, you will get really good at changing head gaskets as they go out every 2 years.....

I have a Briggs Vangaurd on my Dixon ztr and it blows head gaskets every so often too which they are know for, design flaw.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke down and bought a Cub Cadet a month ago. Didn't buy new but found one with 80 hours on it and got a smokin deal. 54" deck and a 24 horse Kohler. They had great reviews and knew another guy who had one and loved it. Really cut down my mowing time from using my old rider. Won't ever go away from a zero turn!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
On Monday, I ended up trying to clean up a couple locations that have been neglected through the summer. To my surprize I found a boat seat pedestal under some grass with my mower. Needless to say something gave, and it wasn't the pedestal. Ended up breaking the casting on the spindle on my Dixon tractor. I have the Dixon 26 hp Kaw with the 54" deck. Yesterday, I went in to Valley Performance (used to be the Dixon dealer). He is going to work on my mower, but let me demo a Toro 60 in zero turn.

HOLY CRAP... It was getting late when I started (7:30-8). I mow roughly 3 acres. The hr meter read 2.4 hrs when I started. It read 3.8 when I got done messing around. I re-mowed everything plus swung by a couple other spots I had ignored because it was a pain (about 150 12-24 in colorado blue spruce, turn radius sucks). Typically it took me 4-5 hrs depending on the detail I mowed.

Now, I am going to have to seriously look at one.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have a 60" Grasshopper for sale - 720K, if you interested let me know. I am looking to go to a Z665 John Deere. Of all the machines I have researched, it seems to be the real deal. However, they haven't been out long so used is a challenge to find.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
is the use of lawn mowing equipment legal in the pursuit of pronghorns?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a toro timecutter 50" last summer, cut about 3 acres between two properties and haven't had any issues. Really fast, cuts good and is great around trees. I had some 4' sweet clover in the yard that I actually cut with that mower, really impressive imo...I have the kawasaki motor...Purchased it from Ace Hardware in Bis...locally owned and they do all the serice! Josh

I have the same mower that is 5 years old with zero problems. I went from a 42" tractor mower to the zero turn and cut my mowing in half. The only complaint I have is with the replacement blades from Ace the do not keep an edge like the original blades, 1st set went the entire season now I have to change them twice a year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84