New Ice House Frame

Mattlin

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] I Built a new ice house Frame its 8x14 with a 4' v-front. I used 2x3x3/16 for the outside frame 3x3x3/16 for the hitch and 2x4x1/4 for axle arm and 2x2x1/8 for some cross members. We also used a little different design for the pivot point by supporting it on two sides and with a pin I think it will be much stronger. I used 205 75D 15 tires 3500# axle hubs and 3500# springs. It weighs 920 lbs with 200 lbs of tongue weight and pulls like a dream. I then Put on two coats of Herculiner which is awesome stuff very durable.
[/FONT] IMG_3186[1].jpgIMG_3189[1].jpgIMG_3191[1].jpgIMG_3192[1].jpgIMG_3194[1].jpgIMG_3195[1].jpgIMG_3201[2].jpg

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the design. Looking forward to see the finished product!!! :;:thumbsup

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good going to be nice when done. What weight are u going for when all done?

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks nice,only thing I would have did is ran the hitch all the way to the back. I do that for it to be more ridged and in case you have to get pulled out fron the back. All though it maybe ridged enough with out it to.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a lift system like this what are the lift limits or are there any. If I ever went this route I would want a hauler with big rear door. Say If you hauled a sled or a four wheeler and left it at the very rear of the trailer or just far enough to balance weight distribution, Would a person be able to leave it hooked up to pickup and lower/raise the wheels with the extra weight ?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe but may be mistaken that it really has to do with how much your axle is rated for. As long as you have the right size axel with this set he is showing should handle a four wheeler or snowmobile. Anyone agree or disagree

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks nice,only thing I would have did is ran the hitch all the way to the back. I do that for it to be more ridged and in case you have to get pulled out fron the back. All though it maybe ridged enough with out it to.

I was thinking the same thing for pulling a trailer, but then you'd have to go with electric brakes too.

Trailer looks terrific Mattlin!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am envious to point of tears, will you adopt me? Will the cranks be able to pick it out if it freezes in?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
has anyone run heating tape inside the frame (during the build) and had the plugin accessible - like a vehicle plugin?

When you get it stuck you plug it into a big generator and an hour later you are free?

probably some big things wrong with that concept - like tape not being watertight, poor thermal contact between frame and tape, yadda

Mattlin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went a little light on my axle and spring set up I should have aimed for more like 4500 but its too late now. I am thinking the house will weigh between 3000 and 3500 lb so I will be right on the border. If i have to i can always swap out the spindle and springs for heavier ones because the trailer itself is built heavier than it needs to be. Also I do wish that I would have run the 3x3 all the way back but when I was designing the trailer most of the pictures I saw on the web only had it going to the axle pivot point. It is plenty stiff we put cross braces by the pivot point and it helped greatly. I did go with cheap winches and I already know that I will have to change them to ones with auto brakes because if they got away on you the handle would break your hand for sure. The way its setup now I wouldn't be able to set it up as a toyhauler it would be too much weight but I am fine with that. My plan is to set it up like a ice castle Perch palace like this.
100387695.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What would the weight savings be if a guy would use some kind of water resistant paneling instead of pine planking, and is rubber roofing lighter than tin would be?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
has anyone run heating tape inside the frame (during the build) and had the plugin accessible - like a vehicle plugin?

When you get it stuck you plug it into a big generator and an hour later you are free?

probably some big things wrong with that concept - like tape not being watertight, poor thermal contact between frame and tape, yadda

warm/hot air circulation works ok too. I've done it with other applications in frozen mud . Amazing how much exhaust heat you can reclaim from a small engine.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rubber roofing will be lighter than tin I just had to install some 45mill rubber roofing on an attic access and was easy to do and it folds around corners nicely.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84