Underground dog fence

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Has anyone put one of these in? I have a 5 acre yard, and the Mrs decided she wanted an underground fence for the pups. 2500 feet of underground fence.

I have about 40 feet to go, and all finished. This damn thing better work, as it has basically killed 2 weekends.

Our Shephard and her miniature 'dog thingy' like to chase cars. Not too worried about the dogs getting hit, but I am a little worried about someone driving off the road swerving away. Sooooooo, underground fence it is.

Do these things work? Anyone have any experience with these systems?

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have about 4 acres covered with an underground dog fence..... I am curious how it is taking you so long? I think it took me a total of 10 hrs. maybe not even that.

Did you get the machine that is used to bury wire?

Anyway, it works great. I have to find a collar for my wifes Min-Pin. She likes to run out into the road. I am going on 3 years with this one. I have had 1 broken wire. That has been the only frustrating point is find that thing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you were pulling the wire machine, I feel for you. After 30 min, I was pissed and figured out another way. With this set up, it took me 4 or 5 hrs going at a snails pace and getting off to make the splices.

2012-09-29_19-57-48_851.jpg

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbors put one in a couple of years ago and they had a lab that was used to running wild around the neighborhood when ever they let her out. No amount of yelling or chasing would get her home until she was good and ready. They even tried a training collar but she ran so fast that she got out of range before they could train her the property boundaries. They put in an underground fence and walked her around the boundaries so she got a good jolt whenever they got near the fence and in a couple days she would slam on the brakes 20 feet from the fence no matter what she wanted to chase. Works great as long as you make sure the dog knows the limits BEFORE you turn it loose. If they realize they can run through it if they move fast enough you may not get them to stop in time for the shock to sink in and they'll keep running through it.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I should have bought the machine for burying it, but I am a cheapo.

I probably have 10 hours into it so far over 2 weekends. I initially cut a trench with a road grader. I took 2 of the 3 teeth off of the rear ripper and pulled 1 ripper thru, all the way around. But, it's is still a slow process burying it just right.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My neighbors put one in a couple of years ago and they had a lab that was used to running wild around the neighborhood when ever they let her out. No amount of yelling or chasing would get her home until she was good and ready. They even tried a training collar but she ran so fast that she got out of range before they could train her the property boundaries. They put in an underground fence and walked her around the boundaries so she got a good jolt whenever they got near the fence and in a couple days she would slam on the brakes 20 feet from the fence no matter what she wanted to chase. Works great as long as you make sure the dog knows the limits BEFORE you turn it loose. If they realize they can run through it if they move fast enough you may not get them to stop in time for the shock to sink in and they'll keep running through it.

Yeah, I think this is key. Spend a weekend training them on it. Good info, thx.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a GWP that was stronger than he was smart. Put fence in, attached collar, let him go. He came back in around an hour. Big brother's didn't think the collar worked so I was the training dummy. It worked, the dog just didn't feel pain.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only problem I have seen with them is the ground cracking or expanding with frost or moister and broken wires. It can be a real pain finding the brakes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84