Ice Conditions

Ramathorn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not looking for exact lake names, but it would be nice if we had a little thread where people could inform the masses on ice thicknesses and what they are seeing out there in certain areas of the state to help guys decide when or if they are gonna give it the first try. Had a friend tell me last night he saw 2 guys on a certain part of Nelson Bay. Curious what guys are seeing farther Northeast. I might try a few smaller lakes Sunday or Monday if we dip into the teens the next 4 or 5 nights. Good Luck!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
NE4EvREx3Tju7d_1_1.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get that question quite often. Early ice varies so much that I'm VERY LEARY about giving advice. If somebody took my advice and then fell in and didn't get out, I don't think I would handle that very well. I advise extreme caution to everyone venturing out on early ice. Be Safe Guys!! No fish is worth getting hurt over!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get that question quite often. Early ice varies so much that I'm VERY LEARY about giving advice. If somebody took my advice and then fell in and didn't get out, I don't think I would handle that very well. I advise extreme caution to everyone venturing out on early ice. Be Safe Guys!! No fish is worth getting hurt over!!

True, but there is no such thing as 100% safe ice. In fact, I would venture to guess that most drownings actually occur when people go in at pressure ridges, which could be the middle of winter where the ice is quite thick in general.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good advice.

I might be ten feet one direction or another from someone else and be in thin ice, and they have plenty.

I have been fortunate, and hope to keep it this way. Personally I go once I see others have made it out and around.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it happens remember to swim out. kick those feet!!!!

I fell through late late duck hunting when i was a 20something. Over my waist and no waders - i was taking a short cut -- i cant say how far from shore -- but it it took everything to push down break the ice move push down break the ice to get out -- you couldnt crawl onto it as it would break you were in a shit pot with no easy way out. Soaked and cold as hell. I couldnt do it now. Laughed back then. If it would of been chest high -- swimming would of did no good. Same with spikes as the ice was to thin to hold except if it was all froze together. Bottom line -- early ice fishing overrated.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
full-20866-334487-13332931_808610592574402_2606973720536157775_n.jpg
Apparently this is Audobon today.

Been there, done that. Watched a guy's fish trap blow into open water, float over it and hit ice again only to blow to the other side of the lake. We sat on a nice 4-5 inches and pounded about 50 jumbo perch. I was young, thin, and unwise at the time. Worked out great, though.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done some stuff on the ice I should not have done, but this guy takes the cake.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

I would do it

- - - Updated - - -

This would be crazy

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The baitcaster master

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month