Anyone use navionics app ice fishing?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I use it on my phone, but hate using phone battery. Thinking of getting a cheap tablet or used phone to run it on. keep it in pickup or something.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it for ice fishing, but when it's not in use I make sure to close the app down completely. It will use the GPS even when in the background, and that's what will really suck on the battery.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fishidy and ArcGIS w/ ndgf maps but like MM said if i'm not using it i make sure to fully close out so i don't burn up my battery and data.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use that and fishidy also. I keep all my way points on navonics. I have never thought about using on old phone I should do that then I can keep battery to the good one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

For svnmag

- - - Updated - - -

Ah damn I meant to put this video under the usefully useless knowledge thread, :;:sorry

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the Navionics app, although it's certainly not perfect. I bought the version where it's updated a lot, and I've found a lot more lakes with detailed structure. It's great for taking out the guesswork of getting to a spot. Usually I use it to find where I want to go, then I turn off the app when I'm in the general area. The last piece of the puzzle will be an underwater camera so I can finally find the spot-on-the-spot.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it quite a bit as well. Even in the boat since the app has my way points from ice fishing. Once I get to the lake, I turn it off unless I'm trying to zero in on a specific spot. Their customer service is fantastic. I mentioned the position of the contours was offset from the map and within a few days, they had a download which fixed the problem.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wire a cigarette lighter plug to my HDS7 on my dash and works great.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If my graph didn't require an external gps receiver, I'd do the same thing. In fact, I have the power cord wired for the 12v cigarette lighter. Might have to buy a helix finally.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it on my phone, but hate using phone battery. Thinking of getting a cheap tablet or used phone to run it on. keep it in pickup or something.

Does it work if you turn off wifi / 4g? With a cheap tablet would you have gps? I use mine with everything on my phone --- get to the spot and drill my holes and then not again till i move -- so its not really burning battery like a locator.

- - - Updated - - -

does it work - as in show your movement to a certain spot on the lake.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
use it on my phone to find spots on lakes then close it down. works general good not prefect but good enough.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Does it work if you turn off wifi / 4g? With a cheap tablet would you have gps? I use mine with everything on my phone --- get to the spot and drill my holes and then not again till i move -- so its not really burning battery like a locator.

- - - Updated - - -

does it work - as in show your movement to a certain spot on the lake.

good question ... i dont think it uses wifi/4g , but does use gps ... so im not sure

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
good question ... i dont think it uses wifi/4g , but does use gps ... so im not sure

all you need is gps. if going to an area with little or no reception you will need to download the map ahead of time while on wifi or network

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
all you need is gps. if going to an area with little or no reception you will need to download the map ahead of time while on wifi or network

download the map as in select the area and wait a few seconds until that area turns bright? So if I did this for lake winnipeg and then go up there this winter it will work even though i will have my data turned off? GPS still works and it will show my location and let me mark locations.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
download the map as in select the area and wait a few seconds until that area turns bright? So if I did this for lake winnipeg and then go up there this winter it will work even though i will have my data turned off? GPS still works and it will show my location and let me mark locations.

I believe it works that way too. or hit menu, hit download map button, drag the box over the area you want downloaded (as big or small as you want)

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does navionics app allow you to save routes or just waypts. Fishidy is good for storing waypts but cannot track your routes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83