Rescue Cost

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't want to hijack the other thread with this question. So what happens after the Bismarck anglers were rescued from Round Lake? Do they just shake the hands of the rescuers and say "thanks, I gotta get home for supper" or is there a fine or a bill involved? Anyone know?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that is what your taxes pay for. I was in a similar situation a few years back. Was on the Missouri in the fall, went south to fish.
When I was driving back to the boat ramp following my GPS coordinate I beached myself on an underwater sandbar. Long story short, I had to get the county fire department out to help get me un stuck. 4 guys came out in their skiff and we were able to get the boat off the bar.
We shook hands, said a thanks and that was the end of it.

I don't think there is any fine for being a dumbass(referring to the ice fisherman, not me, well maybe I was that day) and I don't think they get a bill for something our taxes paid for.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering this as well. Aren't anglers charged if their vehicle goes through the ice for the recovery effort? I would think there would be a fee for getting stranded but maybe not. If it was me I sure hope there wouldn't be...haha

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to pay to get your own truck out, yes. You don't have to pay to be rescued. That's why you pay your taxes.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would surely think those rescued would be making a donation of sorts to the group that rescued them. And..I don't believe it to be entirely true that they would never charge you to be rescued. I believe there would be instances...being foolhardy,stupid,careless etc where you would be charged.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would surely think those rescued would be making a donation of sorts to the group that rescued them. And..I don't believe it to be entirely true that they would never charge you to be rescued. I believe there would be instances...being foolhardy,stupid,careless etc where you would be charged.

I guess I've never run into it with the Fire Department where we would charge someone to be rescued. Kinda defeats the purpose.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't they charge for mountain/avalanche stuff these days - and even offer insurance, etc.?

not that I want to steer anyone to this gay pinko dinko news magazine.... but I'll hold my nose and do it anway

this article discusses how rescues are done and who pays for them in various scenarios

[h=1]Get into Trouble Outdoors — Who Pays for the Rescue?[/h]

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1892621,00.html

- - - Updated - - -

seems like a $100 fine for putting rescuers lives at risk would be a suitable slap in the nards to prevent repeats or get people thinking

that... and their pic/story/name on NDA - if anyone can shame people into conforming it's this group

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess depending on the type of situation, maybe it could be warranted. But.....I don't want someone not to call for a rescue when they need it because they are scared of what it would cost.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess depending on the type of situation, maybe it could be warranted. But.....I don't want someone not to call for a rescue when they need it because they are scared of what it would cost.

yep - good reason to leave it at zero

I was visiting with a friend in my industry (over beers) and he observed that moderately intelligent and responsible people are practically 1%ers nowadays

I could not come up with a decent rebuttal

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
$$$ is raised by taxes and fund raising events/raffles, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure a few of you have bought Devils Lake ice derby tickets. You just funded morons being saved.;)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got no problem with legitimate emergencies, even if they were a little fool-hardy, I'd be in a mighty fragile glass house to claim otherwise. Sandbars and ice-sheets shift, logs and other obstructions float about in the water, sometimes just barely visible or even barely submerged. Out on LOW after several heavy rains there were large "rafts" of peat-moss floating around that were very hard to see until you were basically on top of them, especially once it got a little windy/lumpy.

Where I absolutely believe people should be charged up the wazoo is for things like driving around the "Road Closed" signs/barriers when the Interstate is shut down due to bad weather. In that case, if you need to call 911 because you were that dumb, you should have to pay the hourly salary and mileage of every single responder/vehicle as well as the cost of any materials they had to use/procure.

Or, let's say your house/business burned down and it turns out you set the fire yourself on purpose. In that case, Ins denial as well as restitution for all emergency workers is warranted IMO. Worse would be you chuck your ciggy butt out the window and start a fire out in the country, you should be charged for all of the emergency services as well as the opportunity cost of the burned up grass/crops/etc for that entire growing season.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see your guys' arguments. I see the other side too. Discretion would be needed I guess.

I responded to a good size fire over the summer. Afterwards the landowner contacted Chief and asked for the names and addresses of everyone that responded. That's fine, its technically a matter of open records. The landowner sent a thank you card which was also fine. I appreciate being thanked for what I do. But he also sent a gift card to a local restaurant which made me a little uncomfortable because that kind of reward is not why I do it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how about a cat stuck in a tree?

deer breaking through the ice and fire department rescue?

dog down an old abandon well?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
how about a cat stuck in a tree?

deer breaking through the ice and fire department rescue?

dog down an old abandon well?

front.jpg

Hoping I'm getting one of these for Christmas.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bill em. Federallys will probably charge for that airboat????

Plus when they got into my airboat --- i would of said leave those overpriced vexilars on the ice; along with that auger and those thorne bros rod combos and that ottercabin. You can retrieve them your self. ;:;boozer

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some states will send you a bill, my ex lived in Denver and liked to go hiking. She bought a fishing license because she claimed the rules then (mid 90s) were that if you had a fishing/hunting license the rescues were free, but if you didn't they would bill you.

SDMF, driving around a road closed sign can certainly result in a hefty fine at a minimum. I believe if the road is closed the fine is $500, not that I've tested that theory, just something I've heard about in my line of work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82