Rescue Cost

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupidity is usually rewarded this day and age, ever watch MTV, what I thought was music television. At least it was when I was a younger fella

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i might be wrong. but, i don't think there are any laws in place that would prevent the entity from pursuing civil restitution under circumstances where the rescued party was extremely negligent, reckless and/or engaged in criminal activity.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see your guys' arguments. I see the other side too. Discretion would be needed I guess.

I responded to a good size fire over the summer. Afterwards the landowner contacted Chief and asked for the names and addresses of everyone that responded. That's fine, its technically a matter of open records. The landowner sent a thank you card which was also fine. I appreciate being thanked for what I do. But he also sent a gift card to a local restaurant which made me a little uncomfortable because that kind of reward is not why I do it.

You accept gifts like that for the benefit of the giver, not yourself. Glad to know people like the landowner exist!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe if you sink a truck/snow machine/fish house you pay fines for environmental damage, even if it's later recovered. When that truck sinks, it contaminates the water with oil, gasoline, coolant and all sorts of other vehicular cooties. Heck, when NDDOT blew Memorial Bridge in Bismarck they paid a fine for every fish they killed as there is no legal exemption for unlawful taking of game and non-game species by government or contractors as the result of a public works project.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 20 years ago I had a fire jump the road and called the fire dept. they didn't charge me but I made a donation to rural fire dept and bought the beer for there next meeting.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You accept gifts like that for the benefit of the giver, not yourself. Glad to know people like the landowner exist!!

I understand that Guy but I signed up wanting to just be a volunteer. I never expected any compensation. Didn't even know there was a stipend until I was about 4 months in. It's hard to explain I guess. I was just one of the guys that responded. There were many more that didn't respond but were no less committed to a successful fire response because of their time spent training with me, maintenance of equipment, etc. I feel that a donation to the Department would have been more appropriate (and maybe the landowner did, I didn't ask). For the record, I did take my family out to lunch with the gift card.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
i might be wrong. but, i don't think there are any laws in place that would prevent the entity from pursuing civil restitution under circumstances where the rescued party was extremely negligent, reckless and/or engaged in criminal activity.

If laws are broken, I believe the rescue costs are tacked on to their punishment they will likely never pay. I just made a tongue-in-cheek blanket statement earlier. Your every day average S&R doesn't send a bill like the doctor or dentist is what I was saying. Oh and I guess I better clarify the other matter as well;:;banghead. Not everybody that needs rescuing is a moron.:)

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they should have posted the fishermens names or at least there nickname here on this site! So we can have a laugh!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like to think i ain't no moron. probably my over inflated ego. but, i had the occasion to use the rural fire department one time. probably moronic behavior that led to the call. at the very least, it was negligence. glad they never sent me a bill. but, they did leave a hell of a mess for me to clean up. and rightfully so.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like to think i ain't no moron. probably my over inflated ego. but, i had the occasion to use the rural fire department one time. probably moronic behavior that led to the call. at the very least, it was negligence. glad they never sent me a bill. but, they did leave a hell of a mess for me to clean up. and rightfully so.

come on cant just tease the story..........we need the paul harvey

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some states will send you a bill, my ex lived in Denver and liked to go hiking. She bought a fishing license because she claimed the rules then (mid 90s) were that if you had a fishing/hunting license the rescues were free, but if you didn't they would bill you.

SDMF, driving around a road closed sign can certainly result in a hefty fine at a minimum. I believe if the road is closed the fine is $500, not that I've tested that theory, just something I've heard about in my line of work.

Last time I elk hunted in western CO (91 or 92?) there was an additional search and rescue fee required. Wasn't much $5 or so. I don't know if it was just for out of staters or not. It was explained to me that everyone was required to pay in case they had to rescue your ass out of the back country. Makes sense to me. Helicopter rides ain't cheap.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
major remodel. had huge pile in the front yard/driveway cause the dumpster hadn't arrived yet. there was good wind out of the SW. i was going on a weekend hunting trip the next morning. so, i thought i would do the wife a favor and get rid of the pile before i left for the weekend. the wind was blowing in such a manner that it should've blown the flames away from the house. and i figured the good wind would fan the flames so as to get rid of even the most unflammable of materials. turns out big fires make their own "wind". either that or it just changed directions the moment i lit my match. but, the flames didn't go away from the house. luckily the new siding wasn't on yet. but, the heat cracked two of the windows i had just installed and melted the old plastic gutters off of the roof. i had the wife call 911 just to be safe as i squirted the hose at the house. which did me no good as i couldn't get close enough to hit even the sidewalk. it was like pissing on the devil himself. it died down rather quickly since it was burning so fast. and i tried to call off the fire brigade. but, once you call them, i guess they have to keep coming for some reason? by the time they got there, i had this wonderfully contained fire that was burning my debris beautifully. then they get all of their fancy hoses and used their wet liquid to distinguish my good time and the treat i was planning on giving my wife. after it was a big pile of black mud and unburnt shit, then they proceeded to spread it all over my front driveway with their metal shovel tools. i gave a couple of handshakes, got a few back, got a few more head shakes and one or two dirty looks as they drove off into the night like super heroes from from some children's book. in the end i was thankful. my wife was too. but, not towards me. i will say this... they got there quickly and worked even quicker. that fire never stood a chance. i probably deserved a bill. :;:huh

Last edited:

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
isn't it like a grand for an ambulance ride? paramedics/rescuers

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
E, there has been way more than one fire that was "out" that came back up and wreaked havoc. Once they are on the road, we generally won't be called off until at least one unit is there and sees it for themselves.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost, to be clear, i ain't complaining. its just how i like to tell the story.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up on that.Just wanted to answer your question. The times that those "out" fires get away is when people get REALLY pissed at us. For putting fires out, overkill is underrated.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18