A:
image.jpg

B:
image.jpg

C:
image.jpg

D:
image.jpg

You are going ice fishing in the early AM. What types of structure do you look for? A lot of guys say to find structure and fish it. Do you hit the steep drop-offs? The subtle drop-offs? A drop-off into a shallow flat? Something else?

In this scenario, it is early January. 15" of ice. 4" snow on top. It's pre-dawn and you are about to setup. It is a new lake to you. All you have to go on is your navionics.

Of the options above where would you go and why?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are probably gonna want to catch them moving from shallow to deep. If you punch a hole right on top of where they are predawn, then I would guess they scatter and you don't see them again. So, I would throw c away in the morning. All the rest look acceptable to me. The more gradual transition appears to be B. Not knowing anything else, I would probably pick B.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't choose structure, I would use the map to find the warmest part of the lake. In Jan it will probably be deep, my choice to start would be in a deep part of the lake like A or D shows.

I would look for any sign of life and every hole I punch would tell me, depth, temp, clarity and if there is any customers.

This is my perch, walleye opinion.

IMHO in stained water walleyes hunt all day, in clear water they hunt early and late. Clear water you want to set up in travel paths from deep to shallow.

A 2 degree temp difference will mean a lot.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
D and fish where the little fish icon is...bound to be a fish or two there! ;-)

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd hit the snooze button, go back to bed and wait til the fish are biting.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd fish the long point on D. Access to shallows & feeding areas. And, access to deep water. Drill that point deep to shallow and you'd find a fish.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
If mobility or distance between areas for walking is not an issue, check them all. If I had to choose one, it would be D on the main lake side of the island on the steep drop down to the flat then around the point and flat and then across to the next point, maybe get lucky and find some weeds still green.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish where the locals are. I would be deep on a mud flat for panfish. On gradual breaks for walleye.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you after perch or eyes? I would go for a flat in that ten to 15 foot bracket and for eyes I would start fairly shallow and move deep after an hour or so after sunrise. Over all I went B thinking midday eyes if that particular hole is the deep spot of that lake or atleast the deep spot of that part of the lake.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I was looking for walleyes it would be D follow point out and look for the next step down before I get to the deepest water. I would be looking for the shelf.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see patrol around with binos and when you see someone else catch a fish then jump on that spot for the rest of the day. If it's a good spot, then get up really early and set up there before those who found it. Or put the house on it later that night when everyone leaves as a choice on the poll. Sure seems that's what most people have been doing lately.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
E, and here's why:

Carefully watch the weather and barometric pressure, (as well as planet alignments and Farmer's Almanac) to assure the day you're fishing is the optimum day to fish. Also pays to check the moon phase, cuz the sumo walters always are on the chomp when the moon is in the first phase of a waxing gibbous. Or was that a waning Cheddar?

Well, whatever, do your research thoroughly and THEN start analyzing the topo maps. And when I say analyze, I mean ANAL-YZE. Guess, second guess, and triple guess your instincts, especially upon reports from the local bait store, your neighbor Guss, and that asshole little neighbor boy who somehow always is on the hot bite (mental note: tell him to GET OFF MY LAWN the next time I see him AFTER asking where to go fishing).

Finally, on the day of, scratch all your plans when you buy bait and the dude counting out 12 shiners when you asked for a dozen (cheap rat bastard) tells you they're biting right before sundown and to just park it on the first drop-off from the landing. So despite your gut instinct to go to that sunken hump or the inside turn or the 30-foot hole, you're sitting with two holes drilled in 13 feet of water watching your bobber jiggle relentlessly under the molestation from 25,756 four-inch perch.

When a red mark FINALLY comes, it's a god-damned slimer on the dead stick that's too short to keep because of Minnesota's gay-ass slot rules. And then, and THEN, a tiny mark finally comes up and hits your plain silver spoon (it's the 12th spoon tried since you sat down, and the first bit) and you're so excited because the sun is setting and you KNOW this means the bite is on. So you keep the 13 inch walleye out of spite.

And don't graph another fish for a full two hours past sunset.

And then you go home, and for whatever reason, make plans to do it all again next weekend, except THIS TIME you're going to stick to your guns instead of listening to the guy behind the gas station counter with the nose ring who get paid to count shiners every day.

Asshole.

Last edited:

ND_ice_angler

Founding Member
Founding Member
E, and here's why:

Carefully watch the weather and barometric pressure, (as well as planet alignments and Farmer's Almanac) to assure the day you're fishing is the optimum day to fish. Also pays to check the moon phase, cuz the sumo walters always are on the chomp when the moon is in the first phase of a waxing gibbous. Or was that a waning Cheddar?

Well, whatever, do your research thoroughly and THEN start analyzing the topo maps. And when I say analyze, I mean ANAL-YZE. Guess, second guess, and triple guess your instincts, especially upon reports from the local bait store, your neighbor Guss, and that asshole little neighbor boy who somehow always is on the hot bite (mental note: tell him to GET OFF MY LAWN the next time I see him AFTER asking where to go fishing).

Finally, on the day of, scratch all your plans when you buy bait and the dude counting out 12 shiners when you asked for a dozen (cheap rat bastard) tells you they're biting right before sundown and to just park it on the first drop-off from the landing. So despite your gut instinct to go to that sunken hump or the inside turn or the 30-foot hole, you're sitting with two holes drilled in 13 feet of water watching your bobber jiggle relentlessly under the molestation from 25,756 four-inch perch.

When a red mark FINALLY comes, it's a god-damned slimer on the dead stick that's too short to keep because of Minnesota's gay-ass slot rules. And then, and THEN, a tiny mark finally comes up and hits your plain silver spoon (it's the 12th spoon tried since you sat down, and the first bit) and you're so excited because the sun is setting and you KNOW this means the bite is on. So you keep the 13 inch walleye out of spite.

And then you go home, and for whatever reason, make plans to do it all again next weekend, except THIS TIME you're going to stick to your guns instead of listening to the guy behind the gas station counter with the nose ring who get paid to count shiners every day.

Asshole.

This is hilarious and sadly has been true for more outings than I care to admit, lol! Sons a bitches!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is hilarious and sadly has been true for more outings than I care to admit, lol! Sons a bitches!

Happened to me Saturday! And it'll happen to me this weekend. And next weekend. And the weekend after that. And when my buddy finally caves to my pleading to get on the jumbo ND perch which, inexplicably, completely shut down the day I hit the ice with him. And when I shell out a few hundred bucks for one of them TV guides on Devils Lake to show me where the goddamn fish are, except for whatever reason, "I guess you shoulda been out here yesterday...they were ON FIRE."

But you can't dwell on the bad luck...I mean it can't last forever...right??

bonessk01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duck slayer you kill me!!!!!!!

Happened to me Saturday! And it'll happen to me this weekend. And next weekend. And the weekend after that. And when my buddy finally caves to my pleading to get on the jumbo ND perch which, inexplicably, completely shut down the day I hit the ice with him. And when I shell out a few hundred bucks for one of them TV guides on Devils Lake to show me where the goddamn fish are, except for whatever reason, "I guess you shoulda been out here yesterday...they were ON FIRE."

But you can't dwell on the bad luck...I mean it can't last forever...right??

Dude put this stuff together and get on stage!!!!!!
YOUR FUNNY

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
E, and here's why:

Asshole.
And that right there folks is ice fishing 101. The drive home is followed by "I don't know dude. We tried. They were slamming em the last 3 days in a row. Maybe that damn cold front screwed it up? Burt was out here thursday and got into em real good. Ernie said drill right there, and hold your spot. They will start coming in at......." "Eh, we'll get em next time, can ya step on it a bit I gotta shit."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82