Best Tip ups

RRmaniac

Established Member
What are your favorite tip ups for pike? I have used polars, and pro thermals and tend to like the pro thermals better.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones that have fish on them. I prefer the pro thermals. Only issue I have had is the way they fit the hole late ice. I don't use them for walleye though as I think they are harder to trip then a standard tip up.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a huge fan of the Yellow Frabill Arctic Fire tip ups. Very solid for the money. I have been using thermal tip ups a lot the past couple years. I much prefer the black ones to the orange ones due to an easier operation.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the original thermal tip-ups they used to make. The newer ones with the foam kind of suck because the foam freezes down and breaks.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The newer pro thermal tip ups are complete junk. Brad, please take this comment back to frabill. The original pro thermal tip up was the best made tip up in the industry and the new design is now one of the worst. The eye guide can't be held tight with a wimpy piece of plastic. I also dislike having to extend/retract the spool every time.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the original thermal tip-ups they used to make. The newer ones with the foam kind of suck because the foam freezes down and breaks.
The black tip ups have a plastic backing if you are having freezing issues.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i gave up on thermals many years ago... we cut circles out of 1/2" plywood just small enough to fit in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail, which we always had anyway, and cut a slit in it the width of the tip up shaft from the edge to the middle... paint it black and use it between the tip up and ice... kept the snow out on windy days and really helped with freezing up all winter...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82