Dealer recommendations for a kicker?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Looking to get a Yamaha kicker put on my boat along with a trollmaster controller.

Not super excited about revolutions up here in GF and not against driving to Fargo or Devils Lake to have it done.

Any good recommendations? I've called around to a couple places, all are pretty close in price, more looking for reviews on service/rigging/whatnot.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tufte Marine in Northwood does a nice job. Not sure if they are a yamaha dealer or not but have had some work done there on other things and have always been treated fairly.

I have had some touch and go experiences with revolutions in the past. I am not against ever doing business their again but have seen them do some pretty sketchy things and my overall customer experience there has been less than adequate. Most of the time when i do in there its just to get parts and i know exactly what i want so i just have to pick it up.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to get a Yamaha kicker put on my boat along with a trollmaster controller.

Not super excited about revolutions up here in GF and not against driving to Fargo or Devils Lake to have it done.

Any good recommendations? I've called around to a couple places, all are pretty close in price, more looking for reviews on service/rigging/whatnot.

Maybe a new display name is in order?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I actually emailed that guy last night trying to find out more info such as year/etc.

No response yet. Thanks though!

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a wholesale place out of Washington or Oregon that a couple of us got T8s from over the years for cheap. Like $2400 brand new sent to your door. These were tiller models, but they are easy to rig yourself connecting them to your big motor and using the troll master.
I want to say Anchor something or another was the name of the place.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way the Canadian dollar is check out Canada.

Dump in at the Angle and Kenora is only 40 miles north.
There used to be a Yamaha dealer there.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a trollmaster that gets used maybe twice a year. Im not a cranker, really in my mind sorta a waste, unless you crank a bunch

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a trollmaster that gets used maybe twice a year. Im not a cranker, really in my mind sorta a waste, unless you crank a bunch

Or fish big water and want to have the piece of mind that you're going to make it home, or you want to have a motor you can pull start that will charge up your discharged starting battery enough to get your big motor started again, or you want to pull live bait into a wind that's too strong for your bow mount, but the kicker driving and bow mount steering will work.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha exactly. Kickers are a must! They have saved my ass more then once on big water when the big motor wont start or if a battery dies.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not talking kicker, trollmaster is a unused fishing luxury in my boat.
I too have run my battery dead on the big boy and been saved by the kicker. I have also blown a optimax twice, and trolled back with the kicker.
You can also pull start every motor. Yhey all have the ability.

Troll master isn't as neat as it sounds

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ITroll and wouldn't be without it or Trollmaster and I almost never pull cranks but when I wanna.................

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is up with the disdain of pulling diving lures? What makes people feel they are exemplifying more skill by pulling bottom bouncers with spinners?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
It could be that with spinners you have to feel the fish and set the hook (usually), thus requiring skill and earning the name: "fishing". Driving around the lake with rods in holders and occasionally reeling in a flaccid walleye (lets face it, they suck at fighting) is only cool if your main purpose is drinking lots of beer.
Certainly fish can be caught on cranks, but I enjoy fishing, not boat driving.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
When in Rome do what the Romans do. If cranking is catchin data what I am going to do. I am kicker less. I want one but would like a matching clr

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
That's my reasoning for a T8 or T9.9. I want to match my big motor.

I mostly want it for cranking and for windy days when the terrova won't pull at what I want.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in '09, I bought a carryover model Yamaha T8 from Island Marine.com. Shopping from a dealer that actually discounted out-of-date engines saved me about 30% compared to three ND dealers. Another internet dealership to check is, I think, called boats.net, a big Florida dealership that sells many brands and even discounts parts. Web shopping means you don't even have to drive to pick the kicker up. UPS delivers to your driveway, and there's no sales tax.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
So next question is, if I order online and have someone install it, what shaft length would I need? 20" or 25"?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14