That big chunk of plots land in the badlands

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys know about that big chunk of plots land recently opened, north of Beach? Was it land that was previously posted and now open to the public? If so, I'm thinking it's where I'll be headed for the youth deer season. Could be some nice deer in there.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You and everyone else that has looked at a plots map this year. Everyone I know that hunts the badlands is headed that direction on opener for archery!

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the info on that chunk of land on the mule deer foundations website.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
You and everyone else that has looked at a plots map this year. Everyone I know that hunts the badlands is headed that direction on opener for archery!

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I don't want to go there if there are a lot of people.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is the same chunk of land I'm thinking there has been some monster elk shot on it. My mom owns some land on beaver creek west of odlands dams just into Montana and it is some awesome country. I'll have to check it out in a couple years after the mass group of people go threw it and go elsewhere.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is some very nice property. Used to do a lot of hunting in this area. I will be out there in September along with everyone else. Let's just hope people actually respect the property and don't ruin it for everyone else. This is a huge chunk of land that will provide lots of opportunities for many hunters. A majority of the ground won't even get touched since most people are lazy and don't like to walk.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are they doing from vehicle perspective? Is it strictly walking or is every existing prairie trail opened up for travel?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are they doing from vehicle perspective? Is it strictly walking or is every existing prairie trail opened up for travel?

Good Question. From the article posted above it made it seem like there would be one road in on the edge? Are there any other chunks of PLOTS ground that can be driven through on trails? I thought ALL motorized vehicle travel was prohibited on PLOTS

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's my understanding that there are no vehicles allowed on any of the property. There are a few roads around the property for which to gain access.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is the same chunk of land I'm thinking there has been some monster elk shot on it. My mom owns some land on beaver creek west of odlands dams just into Montana and it is some awesome country. I'll have to check it out in a couple years after the mass group of people go threw it and go elsewhere.

you have access to private land in MT where a general tag could be had every year and you DONT hunt it? smh

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member

Cant take a vehicle on plots land even to remove animals and there really is only a couple of main roads going in there. Can see that you would need to be in good shape in order to hunt deep into the land.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'll "scout" it for you this year if you give me permission :;:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Question. From the article posted above it made it seem like there would be one road in on the edge? Are there any other chunks of PLOTS ground that can be driven through on trails? I thought ALL motorized vehicle travel was prohibited on PLOTS

Depends on the signs around the property - I would guess since this probably isn't for waterfowl - driving onto the plots area is not allowed.

https://gf.nd.gov/plots/guide/regulations

Are horses or ATVs allowed on PLOTS?
No. PLOTS agreements are for walkin hunting access only. All other activities require landowner permission.

Is driving on PLOTS to retrieve game or set out waterfowl decoys allowed?
PLOTS land is walk-in access only and you cannot drive on it unless you get specific permission from the landowner. Exception: Some PLOTS tracts are enrolled specifically for waterfowl hunting. These tracts are identified with a special green "Attention Waterfowl Hunters" sign. The PLOTS agreement for these areas allows driving access, on harvested cropland only, to allow hunters to set out decoys.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should still be able to drive on the main roads to provide access to different areas, if I remember right there are a couple that go through the property on the north and south end, trails I think will or should be off limits. At my folks place there is plots on both sides of the road but people can still drive the road that splits the fields.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been over there since 2012 so maybe those roads don't exist anymore but by trotters was a road and another one was south farther and I think there was one that connected the two.

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope it is marked well so people don't end up ruining this nice walkin area

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't been to this area but looking at the online system with the roads on it, I'm guessing these are the legit roads you could travel on.

Capture.JPG

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully it works out. A couple instances of carcasses being left by a road, trespassing on neighbors land, driving off trail, vandalism, and who knows. Always amazes me how much people litter.

Hopefully the game wardens in that area make their presence felt this fall.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am fairly familiar with the area. Having hunted on the other sides of the fence for almost 40 years. Even hunted inside one year. There are lots of trails, the guys that were leasing it drove everywhere. We rarely saw hunters there and when we did they were driving. There should be some decent bucks there but most are in the 100 to 150 range. Just never been real big bucks in that area. I have no idea as to how many roads you can drive on.

The one thing I know own for sure is that the land around there will be off limits. It will be posted heavy and we will be calling the sheriff if needed. There is plenty of land to hunt, no need to trespass. Actually this is a great opportunity for hunters. Hopefully they will treat it like they are supposed to.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82