Too warm to drop a deer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am holding off for other reasons but it doesn't look like the above normal temps are going anywhere, anytime soon.

Let's remember, lots of deer will die at the hands of hunters in much warmer climates than ND over the coming weeks/months. Just be prepared to take care of it.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
good time to go fishing. especially since I didnt get a tag. again.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Too warm to drop a deer.[/h]

I think it will drop no matter how warm or cold it is......If you hit it right.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's remember, lots of deer will die at the hands of hunters in much warmer climates than ND over the coming weeks/months. Just be prepared to take care of it.

Very good point. Some elk hunting is done in 90f weather.

The problem we see in ND is some don't seem to change their methods of care. So many don't know how or would rather not skin and butcher their own deer. They would rather just gut it and drop it off at the butcher until they get a call 4 months later to come pick up the sausage and snack sticks.

Get the hide off the animals and don't lay the deer in the pickup box for hours and there wouldn't be a problem. You shot the animal so spend the time to take care of the meat.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

The problem we see in ND is some don't seem to change their methods of care. So many don't know how or would rather not skin and butcher their own deer. They would rather just gut it and drop it off at the butcher until they get a call 4 months later to come pick up the sausage and snack sticks.

Get the hide off the animals and don't lay the deer in the pickup box for hours and there wouldn't be a problem. You shot the animal so spend the time to take care of the meat.

I always process my own, More than once I have shot my deer in the evening and cut and wrapped both mine and my wife's and had them in the freezer and ate blackstrap and eggs for breakfast before I went to work the next morning. I have learned from experience that I like to hang it and cool at least overnight but two days is better to dehydrate and firm up the meat before I start cutting and wrapping

That and I am getting old , It would be a long day for me to shoot and process a deer without taking a break.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ain't heard this damn tune in 10 freakn' years!! Damn it's a good one. I've have this on vinyl back in the Hills.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

The hide is a double-edged sword at first it's very good at keeping the body heat in but later on it's very good at keeping the heat out if you fill the deer's chest cavity full of ice. Just make sure to get that esophagus out of there as well because that son of a bitch is a hell of a transmission point for bacteria.

As to the original question because of her combination of the warm weather and the orange Army I'll probably lay low until Tuesday. let the weather cool down a bit and let the deer settle down a bit before going back out.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
from now on every thing i shoot will be done with gutless method and quartered. Solves any problems that could be had

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Guilty.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
only one time I didn't bone/cut up/package/freeze the same day. I was a long day as the group I was with had 4 deer to deal with and it was cool out. That one is the only one I have gutted in the field (actually in the back of the pickup) as I prefer to get it home hung up and skinned first. I do not like having to pick hair, dirt, vegetation out of everywhere.

Last one I did was home within 20 minutes of dropping it and less than 2 hours later it was packaged and in the freezer.

I like to grind it when it is still almost frozen for sticks and other ground products, partially frozen works best with my slicer as well.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a huge Igloo cooler that I use regularly on hot years. Throw in three twenty pound bags of ice and go shoot a couple deer. We quarter them out and even two bucks will fit in there. This year looks like it will get used again. It holds 60 snow geese too I've found LOL!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great idea Traxion, I got a 120 qt Igloo that should work just fine, Thanks:;:rockit

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like to let my venison hang for a couple of days,

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good point. Went to visit our daughter on Thanksgiving when she lived in Ohio. Any way was at a stop sign and a couple of guys dressed in orange tee shirts in a pickup pulled up they had a small chest freezer with a generator running. Looked happy must of had success. They were prepared. It was around 80 degrees.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83