why do you hunt out west

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting here on this rainy day thinking about the reasons i like going out to the mountains and hunting. After one time last year i am hooked on otc diy western hunting. I didnt kill any thing but it was the most successful hunting trip i have been on. I must be past the i have to get some thing every time stage dont get me wrong i want to kill an elk in the worst way but my enjoyment or happiness doesnt hinge on killing any more. I think it is the adventure of hiking in 3 plus miles and surviving back there not like its life or death or anything but it is refreshing being able to unplug for a while. That is what i find i really look forward to. Along with the challenge in the moment your like damn this sucks but when you get to the top take in that fresh air and scenery it is all worth the effort. Im not a big spiritual guy but there is something about sitting on a ridge in the back of no where dead quiet that will make you think about life.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
No posted signs. No road hunters. Less orange. More game. More wilderness...

Its just better in every way. The way hunting was meant to be. Its getting hard these days to go "mono-e-mono" with the game you are chasing (and mother nature) and going west allows you to do that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been there done that. The clean air, the sky a deep blue that you can only see at 10,000 ft. So quiet that you can hear ravines three miles away. Just so relaxing to sit and ponder how great it would be to live there. Would love to have my ashes put in a special place but have no one fit enough to get there anymore. Always loved those 10 day away from the grind, hated to come back but kept those memories right behind my eye lids.:;:thumbsup

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along with the challenge in the moment your like damn this sucks but when you get to the top take in that fresh air and scenery it is all worth the effort. Im not a big spiritual guy but there is something about sitting on a ridge in the back of no where dead quiet that will make you think about life.

I agree with this 100%. There are time when I can't sleep at night that I think about when I was taking a non union 5 on a mountain thinking to myself how peaceful it is and how beautiful the scenery is, and it helps me fall asleep. Waking up two hours before the first ray of sunlight and not laying my head down to sleep well after dark and walking uphill it seems all day is a long, tiring day but it's the best feeling. Even if your not seeing much for game, just something about being in the mountains. And yes it makes you really think about life in general and how lucky a guy is to be able to do this stuff. Hard to put into words.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mountains are about the only thing that make me question living in Nodak. I sure wish they were only an hour or two away.

I actually have never really hunted out west..Yet. I have spent plenty of time in them snowboarding/fly-fishing etc. I'm going to ID in June for a week. Just a popup camper, beer, meat, and wild cuttthroat trout. No cell service for 50 miles.:;:rockit

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here are just a few reasons
IDAHO 1.jpg
IDAHO 2.jpg
IDAHO 3.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
The west sucks. MN is where it's at.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wreaks a hunting experience for me more than bumping into other hunters. Less people out west, but there are more and more each year.

I'm starting to question this whole "absent younger hunting generation" mentality. Maybe i'll give Canada a try...

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think for me, a successful public land, DIY hunt is the ultimate accomplishment. Nobody has an advantage over you and it mostly comes down to your skills and how hard you want to work for it to be successful. The animals that I've shot on public land are the ones I'm the most proud of. Dumping out a pile of corn and then having a trail cam that is wirelessly sending you pictures of deer all day is an absolute joke of an excuse for hunting. That requires basically zero skill and ANYBODY can do that.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think for me, a successful public land, DIY hunt is the ultimate accomplishment. Nobody has an advantage over you and it mostly comes down to your skills and how hard you want to work for it to be successful. The animals that I've shot on public land are the ones I'm the most proud of. Dumping out a pile of corn and then having a trail cam that is wirelessly sending you pictures of deer all day is an absolute joke of an excuse for hunting. That requires basically zero skill and ANYBODY can do that.

This may be the best post I've ever seen on this sight period ...

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would move to British Columbia or Alberta if they were part of the US. They have everything I would want to hunt especially BC. There are no blue platers or sconers either to ruin the experience.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
did my first elk hunt out in MT last year. blows any other hunting that ive done out of the water and we didn't even kill! we didn't stay very far off the highway but we had the ponies with so going in and out every day was no problem. you cant beat that kind of scenery anywhere, im heading back this fall and hopefully many more years to come.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
“Man always kills the thing he loves, and so we the pioneers have killed our wilderness. Some say we had to. Be that as it may, I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”

-Aldo Leopold

That pretty much sums up western hunts for me

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Just curious what weapon of choice and optics you use while hunting?

When I was young I thought if I went out west hunting I would never come back. When I made my first trip at age 30 I knew without a doubt that would have been the case. The first couple trips out spent more time riding to see what was over the next ridge and experienced some things that will never be forgotten. Watching as inexperienced riders with you close their eyes and hold onto the saddle horn as you lead them across a drop off down 500 feet the outside stirrup hangs over, hoping the three year old horse you are riding is a good and quiet as you thought before coming out, riding down along side a stream thru the shale as snow falls so heavy it builds on the hat of the fella riding in front of you. Waking, laying there contemplating getting out of a warm bed roll and stirring coals to revive a fire to warm coffee while you saddle horses listening to the crunch of snow and hay being eaten in the silence of the dark smelling the horses and the wood smoke.........

Riding in silence thru the darkness up a trail you try to remember from the year before, the horse reaching back to nuzzle your foot as you pause from climbing switchbacks and crossing streams reflecting the moon light shimmering in the current. Dropping friends along the way in clearings leading a string of their horses further up the mountain to a far meadow you remember, having pictured over and over in your mind all summer a monster bull stepping out from behind the dead fall on the other side like a ghost out of the darkness. Sitting for seemingly hours in the cold then hearing a chirp and watching as a herd of elk glide thru the dark timber behind you in the half light of dawn, smelling them, felling the excitement and adrenaline waiting for the bull........only to watch a spike pass at 20 yards, going back to waiting, beginning to wonder if it actually happened or if it was just a dream of grey ghosts.......

Sitting in the darkness waiting for the light of dawn only to see grizzly tracks for the first time ever surrounding where you sit in the fresh snow as it is falling attracted by the elk carcass you did not know was there, waiting once again in another clearing, another morning walking back to the horses to find mountain lion tracks on top of yours and the dead fall he jumped up on watching you 40 yards away as you waited for an elk, another time another mountain watching a boar grizzly shuffle across a clearing 60 yards away as you tighten the cinch on your horse hoping as he stops to sniff the air of the breeze blowing on the back of your neck he does not take a liking to horse flesh, later the same day as you eat a sandwich taking a break in the warm afternoon sun watching over a saddle crossing where a herd of elk had passed that morning seeing the eyes of a wolf that looks up from the meadow it is crossing following the elk to find the source of the cow call you softy blew to attract his attention look almost right thru you......as if he is saying ..why are you here in my mountains....all tell you just maybe you are not the king of the mountain and only a visitor there.

Wading thru snow waist deep crossing the top of a bowl above the tree line to come in on a pair of bulls you glassed since sun up bedded down in a small pocket of timber, waiting for hours wet and cold knowing they have to come out into a clearing and give you a shot seeing the first glimpse of antlers as they do..........tracking elk thru the blackest blow down timber only to smell them and know you are in the middle of them and watch as they begin popping up all around you...hearing the shot knowing your friend dropped the bull that was with them and suddenly a cow stands up 10 yards away giving you a shot....digging thru a snow drift over hang to pop out like a gopher atop a ridge above the tree line that shows a valley stretching below full of elk track, the next day riding a bull elk down that same mountain side like a sled as it cuts your legs out from under you as you are dragging it to where a horse can get to, riding out a bronc that had an elk antler jab him in the flank down thru black timber to come to a rest at the bottom of a ravine so steep you had to hold onto the horses tail to get out of, pulling into camp and talking with the fella packing up what was left of his pickup box trailer topper that a grizzly tore apart to get to his elk while he tried to sleep 10 feet away in the topper of the pickup he was pulling it with, his fingers still white from gripping his rifle for 6 hours.......

Riding for two days with a lonesome moose following every where you go on horse, riding back to camp in the dark second guessing your horse on which trail to take learning he knows more than you, retrieving lost friends that rode down into a camp 16 miles away you have to drive 100 miles to get to meeting the fella that found them and he is your preachers nephew that was attacked by a grizzly and survived realizing sitting in a wall tent having a steak and a beer by a warm stove with people you had never met that in that vast rugged beautiful wilderness it is still a small world yet big enough to lose yourself in...literally.

Sitting all alone on the side of a mountain at night where you have ridden 30 miles to get to carrying everything you and the friends you are meeting will need for the next 5 days on the pack horses behind you smelling the smoke, holding a hot cup of coffee, hearing the crackling of the fire, watching the stars, listening to the wind through tall pines watching as the horses hobbled near by comforted by the fire and your voice ears perk up to a noise back in the timber, reaching to pull a rifle a bit closer wondering if your friends would find you if you just keep riding when the sun comes up seeing what lies over the next ridge.........

Life, I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice back 30 some years ago, but then I watch my sons as they track a deer they shot with their bow over a small pile of corn they have watched for 4 years grow into a dandy deer each year discussing the trail cam pics to see how big we think he has grown this year, I listen to them tell stories of weekend duck and goose hunts with their friends reminiscing about the trips over teachers convention we made to Buffalo Lodge to hunt ducks at a friends, I walk beside them thru cat tails trying to flush the dark rooster we know is in there from the birds they raised and laugh as they miss and the old man drops him at 70 yards, or watch as they master a dying rabbit call and squeak a coyote to 10 yards or tip gophers over at 100 yards with their grandpas open sight Marlin lever 22......and I know I did.

Hunting is what we make of it, where we can, when we can, not to be judged, only cherished.....Why do I hunt out west??.......the west yet holds memories for my sons and I......

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88