2017 Deer Lottery

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was posted by the ND Game Wardens Association

Waiting patiently to see if you draw a ND deer firearm tag? Wardens have pretty much wrapped up gratis tag reviews (which should give you an idea just how many there were) and it is hoped that around August 1 the announcement will be made for draw results for this years hunting season. Good luck to everyone and be safe out there.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was posted by the ND Game Wardens Association

Waiting patiently to see if you draw a ND deer firearm tag? Wardens have pretty much wrapped up gratis tag reviews (which should give you an idea just how many there were) and it is hoped that around August 1 2018 the announcement will be made for draw results for this years hunting season. Good luck to everyone and be safe out there.

Fixed it for you. :;:stirthepot ;:;rofl

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waiting patiently to see if you draw a ND deer firearm tag? Wardens have pretty much wrapped up gratis tag reviews (which should give you an idea just how many there were)

So they are saying there was an increase in gratis applications?

The data is already eye-popping for some units when you look at the percentage of tags available after the gratis pass. I believe two units had ZERO doe tags available after gratis was given out. They use to publish the gratis numbers but haven't seen it done for awhile.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My hunch is that G&F is taking longer to scrutinize legitimate gratis tags. When tags were dime a dozen they probably didn't worry too much about it. Now with deer tags worth more than North Dakota crude, well, I guess I'm alright with them taking their time.

Fishinfool

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope. You can send in for a regular tag and if you are successful the gratis tag is void and you don't receive it.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
My hunch is that G&F is taking longer to scrutinize legitimate gratis tags. When tags were dime a dozen they probably didn't worry too much about it. Now with deer tags worth more than North Dakota crude, well, I guess I'm alright with them taking their time.

They are doing this and it has been published this is why it takes so long to do the lottery. However, it is not difficult to get a gratis tag in ND. It only takes 150 acres and landowner, family, or lease can apply for specific sections.

No idea to say for sure but what I am guessing is happening is landowners are getting smarter to the system and optimizing ways to obtain tags. Some paperwork around renting land, owning land, or setting up a trust or LLC and landowners/families with multiple sections or quarters of land can get multiple gratis tags. And why not if the law allows.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious, as I don't know how the gratis process works, but is it up to the land owner to prove they own the land but submitting documentation, or do they just say they own X amount of land at such and such location and it's up to the G&F to do the research to verify?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know for sure, but I believe the G&F is checking ownership of the legal description on the gratis applications to make sure it's legit.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep. they review every application, go on GIS and crosscheck all submitted land descriptions against what is described in GIS plats, call you personally if there's discrepancies yadda yadda

the game wardens are each given a 1000 or whatver to go over - what a PITA for them!

meanwhile sconi's are hauling freezers of walleyes home

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
they havent announced it yet but im about 60% sure that i have a 100% chance of getting both my rifle and muzzy tags, and we will throw in speed goat for good measure.. its gonna be a busy fall for me! Thank you NDGF!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep. they review every application, go on GIS and crosscheck all submitted land descriptions against what is described in GIS plats, call you personally if there's discrepancies yadda yadda

They are also cross checking to make sure there aren't double dippers. If a parcel has already been claimed, they are checking to make sure other people aren't claiming the same parcel. It is a pain in the ass, but they are doing due diligence to make sure people aren't gaming the system.

But like said, people are getting smarter. A family can "lease", "rent", ect a parcel and divy up what used to be 1000 acres and 1 gratis to 5 or 6 gratis tags. The rules also allow family to hunt on the other parcels
"A person, that person’s spouse, and their children who have a gratis deer license may hunt together on any qualifying land described on any of their licenses provided they hunt within the same unit in which their described land is located."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"A person, that person’s spouse, and their children who have a gratis deer license may hunt together on any qualifying land described on any of their licenses provided they hunt within the same unit in which their described land is located."

hmmm... where did this language come from?

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
They are also cross checking to make sure there aren't double dippers. If a parcel has already been claimed, they are checking to make sure other people aren't claiming the same parcel. It is a pain in the ass, but they are doing due diligence to make sure people aren't gaming the system.

But like said, people are getting smarter. A family can "lease", "rent", ect a parcel and divy up what used to be 1000 acres and 1 gratis to 5 or 6 gratis tags. The rules also allow family to hunt on the other parcels

That law needs to be changed.

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
they havent announced it yet but im about 60% sure that i have a 100% chance of getting both my rifle and muzzy tags, and we will throw in speed goat for good measure.. its gonna be a busy fall for me! Thank you NDGF!
A speed goat tag? You really believe there will be any of those left after gratis for the general applicants???

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 187
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84