Deer are Jerks

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in my early 20's I shot a really nice archery buck in a tree stand on my parents land. It wasnt the real big one I was chasing but a good one anyway. It was after gun season so I figured Id leave the big one for another year. Got everything cleaned up and headed home around 9pm. I got 100 yards on the gravel north of mom and dads and smacked the buck I had been chasing all season with my sweet 96 blazer.....

Hey, at least you got him..........

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago my brother was also pulling his boat and had one run into the side of the boat. It shattered the plastic fender, rolled a couple times, then to our amazement, got up and ran off.

Did you take the boat back to the dealership to warranty the clearly faulty fender?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've taken down a couple of deer in my day but been lucky to get very little vehicle damage. Had an old Chevy cargo van that was built like a tank. Hit a doe with the passenger side quarter panel once and knocked her into next Wednesday. Did no damage to the van and after a few seconds she got up and ran off into the corn field by the road. I thought she looked OK but my uncle said she only made it in a few rows and he found her a couple months later when he cut the corn. The most dangerous animal hit I had was going down a gravel road about 50 miles an hour on my motorcycle when a flock of partridges exploded out of the grass by the road. One hit me in the chest and one on the leg and a couple more bounced off the handle bars. That one in the chest really knocked the wind out of me! Don't know how I didn't have a major wreck but I kept her upright until I got stopped. Didn't have a helmet then but that was the last time without one for me.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plantskydd has worked pretty well for us. I love saying Plantskydd too.
Spray with the wind at your back - ha ha.

Thanks for the tip. I've always been skeptical of sprays for deterring deer, but if Guy says it works, it must be good.
I may mix it in with my turtle wax to keep them off my truck :D

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2 bucks for me and one for the wife and a few really close calls. When I was going to tech. school in Thief River Fall one of my classmates hit a moose with a Gremlin. I have never seen more damage to a car and he only had a few cuts. The auto body class had a hay-day with that car.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
warning - they are at nuisance levels here - I think the deer at KDMs would scoff at it

I hate to say it, but the fawns will eat darn near anything when it gets cold outside. Saw one trying to eat the bark off my full grown apple tree a couple years ago, so I think you are right Guy. They would probably appreciate the new flavor and keep on munchin.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit deer twice and had deer hit me twice for a total of 7 deer although 4 came in one shot though. Nothing like coming over a hill and haveing a huge wintering herd of WY mule deer all over the road and ditch. It was one of those no way to stop so just pick a thin spot kind of deals. Got a one dent in the bumper but the brush guard did amazingly well all things considered. Favorite was a doe in SK that i didn't see till I was right on top of her. She was just off the side of the road and just stood there like a damn person at a crosswalk. She stood there till I went by then took off running....Apparently she didn't factor in the 12 foot cargo trailer behind me and managed to get her head and front legs between the truck and trailer before she got smoked. I looked in the rear view mirror and all I saw was a deer frisbee shit spinning a few feet off the ground being launched into the ditch from where she came. Got a small dent in the front and one on the side door and about two pounds of deer shit spread down the side so definitely couldn't complain. Hell in all my years the most expensive damage I've ever done was a messed up head light and a bit of quater pannel on my dad's Duramax after I smoked a pheasant. It was that bird that taught me to hate plastic front end parts!!!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not yet had a serious bump with a deer, but I have hit a horse...does that count?

A frigging horse impact at something approaching modern speed limits is quite the screw-up when driving a 1977 Ford and it's grille guard. My friend who was on the passenger side got knocked out as the horse's head came in the open passenger window and clobbered him. He may disagree, but out like a light for a little while. Nonetheless, I was way, WAY out of antifreeze/coolant by the time we got back to town.

Good times!

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never hit a deer, but a buck hit me, took the rear right door and the box panel, the dam thing got up and ran away, Saw what a big bull Elk can do to a front of a Semi even knocked the motor loose, the drive shaft even came off

Yarcraft

Had a buck run into the side of a old Ford Tempo work car. It hit on the front fender, head going through windshield. It's body came around caving in the door, shattering out the door window and removing the mirror. And finished off by caving in the rear fender also. The entire passenger side of the car was damaged.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buck run into the side of a old Ford Tempo work car. It hit on the front fender, head going through windshield. It's body came around caving in the door, shattering out the door window and removing the mirror. And finished off by caving in the rear fender also. The entire passenger side of the car was damaged.

Holy schnikes, was it something like this?
deer-car-_tv68.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the worst I've ever seen though was the damage that happened when a fella hit a simmental bull while driving a little chevy Citation (or some equivalent). That big old bull came right through the windshield and damn near killed him. Luckily for him he was an avid wrestler/body builder/fitness kind of guy or he probably wouldn't have made it.

2000 lbs of beef coming through the windshield will wreck your month.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot about the time I clipped a doe with my convertible (the top was down) mustang, coming into Bismarck on the Expy bridge late one night. I ducked, and it spun in the air over the hood for what seemed to be about 10 minutes. I was slowing down so fast that it never touched the windshield, but I sure got a lot of deer manure on it.

Yarcraft

Wasn't as bad as the one in the picture, but it looked like I rolled the car onto its side. Put a windshield and side window back in it. Hammered the out the body enough so everything opened and drove it for a couple more years, thinking I would get another deer. Never did, until I got a different work car. Then I did. At least the damage wasn't bad on that one.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a black cow run into my front passenger quarter panel last fall when going out duck hunting one morning. About a dozen cows on the shoulder of the gravel on the left side so I slow down and move over the right shoulder and all of a sudden a very large bang that shook the pickup as the dumb bastard barreled up out of the ditch into the side of the headlight. Only shot 2 goddam ducks that morning, shoulda shot the cow and got some ribeyes.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a few hit me, but not much damaged caused.

I remember in grade school a buddy of mine and his family hit a moose with their mini van in Ontario. He had a broken arm, but that was it, rest of the family was OK. He brought in pics of the van to school and even at a young age, I remember thinking "How in the hell are you guys still alive?"

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: total damage to my truck was over 11 grand.
I guess aside from the obvious damage and air bag situation, the air conditioner condenser was damaged a bit, the front quarter panel needed to be replaced, and paint blended into the door and hood. Not sure what stings more: My sprained thumb (the air bag hit it), the $500 deductible, or needing to re-wax the whole front end.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whats it like to have an air bag go off in your face? I am asking because I don't want to find out the hard way.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats it like to have an air bag go off in your face? I am asking because I don't want to find out the hard way.

It kinda burns and they have a strange odor...not really a fun experience

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58